• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PloKloon

Starting Game Development and Seeking Opinions

12 posts in this topic

I have always wanted to start a game company, and in the last few months, I actually have a crew who really wants to do this. I am really excited for all of us, and my goal for us is just to create a completely functional game with minimal errors. Even though we all might as well have no experience making games, we want to make something we can call our own. It is not our intention to make a selling product; something more like a resume piece. If it does really well, that's a bridge we will cross later.

We have ideas, but we are having a hard time keeping are ambition from making this project unreasonable. I was wondering what makes a good game for you? What ideas would you like to see? Hopefully this can help us keep a certain focus while developing.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, and I couldn't personally thank you enough.

Thank you again,

PloKloon

A good game for me doesnt have to be perfect all round. Many of my favorite games have some really terrible aspects, but the good parts make em fun to play. So just play to your strengths and do what you do best. However, graphics are definitely NOT one of those things that can cover up a game's weaknesses.

I'd like to see more RPGs in the market actually. Waaaay too many shooters right now. The good thing about indie dev is that you're most likely to do something really unique and fresh. But yeah, would like to see RPGs, the Western sort, with loads of interesting companions and a nice story. Shooters and zombie titles are a dime a dozen nowadays, but up to you.

Me and two other buddies are making a text-based RPG with a bit of graphics. Right now we're making good progress. But DAMN the two years before it we were shuffling back and forth from genre to genre. So you gotta get your ideas straight and clear. And you really, really need someone who's like the leader of the dev team. Being too democratic about it will lead nowhere; there has to be someone that has the final word.

Anyways, good luck and most importantly, have fun! :D

PloKloon likes this

Always stay true to your roots in create a game dont create because you want people to like it

Create it because you want to.The people that then buy or play your game and like it  will be die hard fans AND WILL NOT CARE for the nonsense most companies do

for example a company will start of with a idea of a game then change the whole way it feels just to satisfy that 20% that they arnt getting the game 2 most games do this these days

Take for expample

Mass Effect one created people loved it.

Mass Effect 2 they changed a few things and added mp just to satisfy that percentage of players they were not getting to. The story was not that bad but it felt like it was going of track a bit

Mass effect 3 sucked ending the whole feel of it was meh and they changed to many stuff in the game just to widen the audience they could get ...

like i said stay true to what you want to build and people will love you for it

PloKloon likes this

My recomendation is go SIMPLE. I have seen way too many projects fail becouse of overambition. so keep it as simple as possible in ALL assets programing, system design and graphic design. also depending on the size of the group you are working in it would be helpfull to assign roles to certain individuals (I'm not talking titles such as programer or system designer but things like persons A is in charge of making the camera work properly while person B creates the main menu). also I want to remind you of the most important part of any first project in game development...KEEP IT SIMPLE.

My recomendation is go SIMPLE. I have seen way too many projects fail becouse of overambition. so keep it as simple as possible in ALL assets programing, system design and graphic design. also depending on the size of the group you are working in it would be helpfull to assign roles to certain individuals (I'm not talking titles such as programer or system designer but things like persons A is in charge of making the camera work properly while person B creates the main menu). also I want to remind you of the most important part of any first project in game development...KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Agreed the best thing you can do without any real expierience is just go simple so you wond overwhelm yourselves.

Definately stay simple to start with, you can always build from that. And make something you'd want to play and something your passionate about, don't worry to much about what anyone else would think for your first go at it.

gardyna and PloKloon like this

Thanks guys for the feedback. Its hard to keep simple, but we will try our best. My hope is that we could give some of you guys a copy to test it out yourselves and give feedback, or even if Angry Joe ever has the time, for him to try it. I guess that is a bridge we can cross later, but until then, we plan to start December 11th. I will try to keep some basic updates about it on here for everyone. Thanks again guys for the advice. :)

You guys should make a really amazing mod for a game, rather than make one from scratch. Look at that one 19 year old kid who got a job at Bethesda for making that mod, with multiple people working on a project it could go really well.

I could answer the original question directly, but I'm not sure whether it would be useful or not.

I say - pay attention to the boring stuff. If you're thinking about a game, write a formal proposal for it.  In fact, write a proposal for three or four ideas, and then use them to decide what you want to create. 

Have a team leader.  Have regular "meetings" (virtual, of course).  Share ideas and code.  Decide on the development practises (commenting and sharing code, leaving interfaces for all the pieces to fit together etc.)  Decide on a target platform. 

Go where the money is.  For small developers that's not Xbox One and a $60 game.  ;)

I think it would help if you gave a brief description of your game, like its genre.

Different genres have different standards people like to see.

I wouldn't expect a fighting game for example to have the best story line  whereas I would expect an RPG to have a really good one.

But still most game types have a different set of things you look forward to having/doing.

I think you can release the alpha/beta to your friends or a closed group of people 

So they can give you feedback on your game. (Plus they can help you QA test your game)