• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

darkseid08

The Elder Scrolls Online: Monthly Subscription for a Full-priced Game

Elder Scrolls Online: The Payment Model   257 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of TESO's full game price ($60) and monthly subscription fee ($15/month)

• Totally justified! TESO rocks! WOOOOHHH!!!
    • The monthly fees ok but the base game is too expensive.
    • The base game price is alright, the monthly fees are too expensive.
    • Total Rip-off!!!! TESO sucks! GW2 rocks! Stinson out!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

179 posts in this topic

So what do you guys think of Zenimax, giving TESO a full price of $60 with a monthly subscription of $15.  Post away angry army....

What people don't understand is that subscription offers a much more guaranteed income for the publisher, therefore it is alot easier to justify putting funding into new content. I prefer a subscription model over a free to play/pay to win system as long as the quality is there.

I would be okay if ESO was a regular retail one time payment of $60.

I would be okay if ESO was a subscription model that was $15 a month with the purchase price of $20-$40.

I would be okay if ESO was a free-to-play game with a cash shop that sold micro transactions.

I would even be okay if the business model was a combination of any of the two above. 

What I am NOT okay with is ESO triple dipping, charging a full $60 retail, on top of the $15 a month sub, and also having the gall to charge for micro transactions! This is an utterly BS business model that nickel and dimes its customers. The last two MMOs that tried to pull this business model was Star Wars Old Republic and the Secret World; and we know what happened to those two. 

Publishers need to stop trying to be the next WoW, because in this climate it isn't gonna happen. WoW and EVE Online are the exceptions to the rule; subscription MMOs are not gonna work anymore regardless of how often game companies try to push them down our throats. 

I love the Elder Scrolls series, but I will not be buying ESO. Not only is it not made by Bethesda, it is just not a very good value. I'll stick with Guild Wars 2 and some of the better free to play MMOs out there. Frankly, if history is to be believed, then ESO and Wildstar will be F2P after a few months of launching anyway.

I like The Elder Scrolls serie, to pay 60$ is ok but without 15$/month.
If the make it like GW 2, one time pay i buy it.
But a 15$/month, no thx.
The last few game what tried with a month sub are now f2p.
Tera and SW Old REpublic in less then a year and Secret World change from sub to one time buy model.
Im going to wait and in few months to 1year, i believe its going to be one time pay or f2p.

shadowthehedgehog89 likes this

The price is good, but the monthly fee should be more around the 5 to 10 dollars.

twe likes this

If this game is worth 60$ + 15$ a month, then I see no problem with them charging so much. If I play a game for hundreds of hours, then I'm willing to pay more money!

TolaSrrup and WeLiVeR like this

The ESO must prove that its worth full retail plus the 15 dollar sub fee

I agree with some of the comments here. If the game is amazing, then the full price with a monthly subscription fee is justified, anything less than amazing with that price range is a stretch and should not be bother with unless you want to throw money away or its your job to buy this. But what I'm really pissed off about was that they added micro-transactions after all asking us to pay $60 and $15 monthly. If I pay the game in its full price I expect to get all of its features and nothing less, when I pay monthly subscription I expect to receive all additional stuff in the future for free, its that simple. Its as if Zenimax has no confidence in the game they made and its staying power that it want their investment back on release date.

You know, it isn't even the subscription fee that bugs me the most. (Altough I am against it, it can be justified in some ways I guess.) It is the cash shop and not being able to try the game without paying 60$.

What people don't understand is that subscription offers a much more guaranteed income for the publisher, therefore it is alot easier to justify putting funding into new content. I prefer a subscription model over a free to play/pay to win system as long as the quality is there.

ok so they are using your money to make new content, then make you pay for the expansion which is what you say my 15$ is going to. So i don't know what state of illusion you are in but wake up sweetheart they are ripping you off!

I mean we saw it with our own eyes with GW2 for Pete's sake! i don’t mind the $60 and then paying them for the expansion, and if you’re saying that they need my $15 to update the server or some shit then I should not have to pay for them to fix a game I already bought. I don't mind microtransactions because I know what I’m getting for them.

From what I understand, all the expansions are going to be free for ESO and to be honest, if the game is worth the purches price and then some. I do not mind helping them with a small fee every month. If it's good, I'll gladly pay. If it sucks, I'm not giving them my money. But I do believe it's going to be an awesome game, but we just have to wait and see about it. :)

I don't really see why people keep complaining about it, you don't like it then don't pay it. If you do like it, is it REALLY that bad to spend 15 bucks a month to support a great game? Most people waste more than 15 a month on bullshit anyway, least this way it goes to a good cause. :)

TolaSrrup likes this

The simple fact is, it costs too much - especially when you can't try it first. I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan but as soon as I heard about this business model I knew it was a bad decision. Even with all my love for the games and respect the team, I won't be buying it. This model is simply greedy and has caused many fans to question the morality of the company and its loyalty to fans. When hard-core fans are put off, how do you think newcomers will feel? A quarter of the fans buying it wont equal the money they would've if 90+ percent of fans bought it for a more reasonable price. 

This decision has certainly lost my money. Speak with your wallet. Don't support decisions you disagree with. 

Rhovanor likes this

I will say I am not a WoW player so I never had to pay a subscription for a game previously. So my basis for this comment is kind of based on observations.

I do like the subscription for giving the company a set income for a bit to pay people to upkeep the servers, pay people to fix bugs and to create new content.

Micro-transactions while a source of income are not a guaranteed source of income by any means, I know many many people who will get a free to play game and not engage in micro-transactions at all and play til they get bored thereby screwing the game company of any kind of support. 

I realize people in the world have a difficult time with jobs etc. Hell I am one of them and if you can't afford it because of that or some other important reason I can understand.

However if you are one of those people who just wants something for nothing then here is what I can say. Everything in the world these days costs money, including making and selling games, if you are one of those people who will bitch and moan about giving a company an income to maintain a game when you have money to do so then you in my personal opinion are not worth the effort in trying to convince otherwise. 

I know some will bring up GW2 and say 'See it worked for them' perhaps so but, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Even at its height from data I have read GW2 could not hold a candle to some other MMO's out there so whatever their system may be is not full proof by any means.

I just wish people would stop complaining about it and just accept that it is going to be the subscription model for at least a time, it is too much effort for too little gain to complain about it like children when it will change nothing. (Most notably some of the people who comment on ESO's facebook posts)

But that is the end of my rant, sorry to take up so much space.

TolaSrrup likes this

BTW i got into last Beta launch and it dos nothing to try to Improve on a MMO you basically got Random Quests ALL across the map go kill X amount of goblins got collect this Flask go Clear this dungeon THERE ARE NO PUZZLES at least none that i Saw they Try to Force a CLASS System IN ELDER scrolls A class System F U you just wreck it they got some random World Vs World like with GW2 but not refined enof to call it that Gameplay is Lock and Attk no Sidestep no Auto Evade you have to Manuel double Tap to roll out of a Atk that should miss???? Magic is Click and Fire Nothing is New They  Basically Spit on Elder Scrolls and Said lets make a MMO in the universe. At least with Secret world i got Puzzles and Mischief and with Wildstar i got Crazy Side Stuff  

If the game's good enough then i don't really have a problem, let's face it if they put multiplayer on skyrim for $15 how many people would complain despite having already bought it

TolaSrrup likes this

I love the Elder Scrolls but I fear ESO will just turn out to be another MMO and lose any real connection to the franchise except the name. I believe it's just a game to make money from fans as opposed to a game fans will want to throw money at.

"Players will appreciate not having to worry about being 'monetized' in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word 'monetized' exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for -- with our system, they get it all."

Matt Firor, ZeniMax Online general manager.

Fair enough point, but a sub is a lazy fix to this issue and then why the hell should we pay $60 on top of that? Why not a $5 a month sub, won't people play it long enough for them to make money off it? I've got nothing against them making money but this stinks of just being another franchise cash cow where fans are let down with a mediocre game for extortionate prices, afterall if 'with our system, they get it all' why then have a cash shop?!

This isnt about getting a good game cheap this is avoiding a poor game that will cost you a fortune. I really hope I'm wrong but I'm yet to be convinced.

Mama Russia likes this

I will say I am not a WoW player so I never had to pay a subscription for a game previously. So my basis for this comment is kind of based on observations.

I do like the subscription for giving the company a set income for a bit to pay people to upkeep the servers, pay people to fix bugs and to create new content.

Micro-transactions while a source of income are not a guaranteed source of income by any means, I know many many people who will get a free to play game and not engage in micro-transactions at all and play til they get bored thereby screwing the game company of any kind of support. 

I realize people in the world have a difficult time with jobs etc. Hell I am one of them and if you can't afford it because of that or some other important reason I can understand.

However if you are one of those people who just wants something for nothing then here is what I can say. Everything in the world these days costs money, including making and selling games, if you are one of those people who will bitch and moan about giving a company an income to maintain a game when you have money to do so then you in my personal opinion are not worth the effort in trying to convince otherwise. 

I know some will bring up GW2 and say 'See it worked for them' perhaps so but, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Even at its height from data I have read GW2 could not hold a candle to some other MMO's out there so whatever their system may be is not full proof by any means.

I just wish people would stop complaining about it and just accept that it is going to be the subscription model for at least a time, it is too much effort for too little gain to complain about it like children when it will change nothing. (Most notably some of the people who comment on ESO's facebook posts)

But that is the end of my rant, sorry to take up so much space.

People don't just want 'something for nothing' with that game. We want something for a reasonable price. Think about it, this is the company & team's first attempt at an MMO. It will likely not be amazing and it probably won't innovate on any existing systems. From what I've heard from beta testers, this, sadly, is the case. What we will get is an MMO that's only a little above average. It simply won't be worth $60 plus $15 a month plus $X micro transactions. As an indie developer, I know how hard it is to make a game, I know they need and deserve money for their product. What they don't realize is the model they chose is losing them money.

Let do the math behind it. I estimate (from online polls, beta tester responses, and friend's opinions) that < 40% of fans will get the game - but lets give it the benefit of the doubt and just call it 40%. Also, the average time a person sticks with an MMO is about 3.5 months. But lets pad that in their favor too and call it 4 months. I would also estimate about 90% of fans would get the game if there was no monthly subscription. Then let's use the figure for Skyrim sales as a fan stat - which is 20 million copies as of June this year. 

Math Time!

Game Sales at 40% fans with subscription:

20,000,000 * 0.4 = 8,000,000 fans

Total revenue + 4 months of play (first is free, so 3 payed):

(8,000,000 * $60) + (8,000,000 * $15 * 3) = $840,000,000

Game Sales at 90% fans with no subscription:

20,000,000 * 0.9 = 18,000,000 fans

18,000,000 * $60 = $1,080,000,000

That's an insane $240,000,000 loss. Yes, 240 million lost from their decision. And that's after I completely padded it in their favor on all fronts!

Even if 50% of fans purchase the game (HIGHLY unlikely) it's is still a $30,000,000 loss. In all reality the loss will be greater because of the number of new-comers a subscription will put off. The point here is that the subscription model just doesn't work. This is not an empty claim, it's completely back up by industry statistics. As you said, it did work for Guild Wars 2, because the pay once model puts the numbers completely in their favor. Just on the basis of profit, ESO should use a pay once model. This will not only make them more money in the end, it will make the fans far happier.

I love this game series and I love their team. I want to see them succeed so I can keep getting bad ass Elder Scrolls games. This is why I worry about it!

chocokaran67 likes this

15$ a month or 60$/60EUR once!

I can barely afford the new system to play the game on yet alone having to factor in an expensive monthly sub after I've spent so much on the game itself. 

I honestly think the monthly rate should be reduced, we'll most likely be playing other games and those of us still paying the XBL subscription and pc gamers still paying for other subs to other MMOs a $15 [Not sure what it would translate into for Brits, to horrifying to imagine.] Is a bit too much to expect month after month. I know the game will be awesome and considering how much people want to play this kind of game with friends, I think the base price isn't so bad and is expected with a game of this type's hype but when they are going to get so much from the base price, why why why milk even more out of us with the monthly sub? 

This might be a game that I pick up long after it's come out.. I'll probably buy it long after it's come out, but I will miss all the Angry Army events...  :angry:

BastadBob likes this

Nyrsis, you forgot the microtransactions. Altough it doesn't make a difference I think.

I can barely afford the new system to play the game on yet alone having to factor in an expensive monthly sub after I've spent so much on the game itself. 

I honestly think the monthly rate should be reduced, we'll most likely be playing other games and those of us still paying the XBL subscription and pc gamers still paying for other subs to other MMOs a $15 [Not sure what it would translate into for Brits, to horrifying to imagine.] Is a bit too much to expect month after month. I know the game will be awesome and considering how much people want to play this kind of game with friends, I think the base price isn't so bad and is expected with a game of this type's hype but when they are going to get so much from the base price, why why why milk even more out of us with the monthly sub? 

This might be a game that I pick up long after it's come out.. I'll probably buy it long after it's come out, but I will miss all the Angry Army events...  :angry:

$15 usually translates to £9 for us brits, but you're right I'll probably wait to play this too. It was annoying when swtor went f2p, hopefully eso will too and then i might play a little and contribute to the shop. For me its not about affording the sub and the game etc its just the value for the game you will get and I dont see The Elder Scrolls keeping its charm in an MMO. When I'm questing in Tamriel I dont want to see some guy called 'loves2spooge' run by.

Mama Russia likes this

$15 usually translates to £9 for us brits, but you're right I'll probably wait to play this too. It was annoying when swtor went f2p, hopefully eso will too and then i might play a little and contribute to the shop. For me its not about affording the sub and the game etc its just the value for the game you will get and I dont see The Elder Scrolls keeping its charm in an MMO. When I'm questing in Tamriel I dont want to see some guy called 'loves2spooge' run by.

Darn, you allready know my orcs name... who blabbed?

BastadBob likes this

Darn, you allready know my orcs name... who blabbed?

I planted listening devices in your carrot supply! Haha, it's the name used by Stan from South Park in the Make Love Not Warcraft episode :P

Indeed, the quality of the game can only be judged in the first month or two after launch and to demand such steep prices for something that I might not even really enjoy the MP or the additions that could come with future updates that again may not really even be that good. 

Haha, lovestospooge.. xD 

In a way I hope they display the names of characters, assuming people give their characters respectable names like 'Gildroy the Gleeful' and not displaying usernames, then I'll be happy. I always think that ruins the immersion like it did in Diablo 3 when you're running about with people's GTs instead of their character names.  

I dont mind paying 60 for an online game. I do mind having to an extra 15$ per month, there is nothing you can say that makes it justifiable. 

Also i would have preferred a simple coop mechanic in the next elderscrolls game, instead of this.