• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

darkseid08

The Elder Scrolls Online: Monthly Subscription for a Full-priced Game

Elder Scrolls Online: The Payment Model   257 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of TESO's full game price ($60) and monthly subscription fee ($15/month)

• Totally justified! TESO rocks! WOOOOHHH!!!
    • The monthly fees ok but the base game is too expensive.
    • The base game price is alright, the monthly fees are too expensive.
    • Total Rip-off!!!! TESO sucks! GW2 rocks! Stinson out!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

179 posts in this topic

check the newest angry joe show he got permission to talk about ESO and there's some stuff you need to see

I wouldn't mind paying the monthly fee but I will not pay 60$ to play a game that during beta 2 months before the go live looks like this.

I'd like to be able to pay 15$ and quit after a month in case it's not good enough (which after the 10 hours I've played seems likely).

Like Joe said, The PvP will have to be the redeeming quality as the game stands now. However, not being able to log into the game after 10 minutes in, requesting character Load, does not bode well for trying that part of the game out for me. Yes I know its beta and all that. But the reason they added so many more ppl was to give people the opportunity to see the game and perhaps persuade them to change their minds, and they wanted to stress test yes.

I won't wait in ques, as a customer I paid for access to the game, making me wait 30 minutes to an hour to log in is crappy customer service.

Then we come to Old Republic Online.  With my disappointment in STO, I though SWTOR was going to right the world for me, back to the subscription model, voice acted and Star Wars - what could be better?  Then from out of nowhere, free to play was discussed.  I ranted, raved, begged for it not to be true.  But they caved.  Now (or at least the way it was just as I quit) the choice for subscription is gone.  If one wants to do anything worthwhile in the game, you pay through the nose.  They have put so many caps on everything that to play without a subscription is pointless and you still have microtransactions on top of that.

Im going to address this part of the post simply because, well you say you like subscriptions and then say you pay through the nose to play without it?

First off I'd rather have a store that sells all those vanity items. Grinding for a pet, mount, costume whatever, is something I prefer not to do, thanks but no thanks.

I can buy the outfits I want presto chango and a) dont have to look for a group that may or may not be jerks, B) I get what I was looking for and don't have to repeat the same sick content three thousand times to get the entire set.

And yes I pay the sub to SWTOR along with two to Tera which is F2P without any restrictions except 2 character per server. So I ain't against paying a sub fee.

And sir if you sub in SWTOR you don't have to spend a damn dime in the cash store if you choose not to. There is nothing in the cash store but vanity items skins, costumes, XP bonuses, which btw you get for free completing quest, so you wouldn't have to buy those either if you choose not to. SWTOR also awards you with cartel coins for completing achievements, sure not a lot like 20-50 depending on the achievement, so if a smart person saved those you could actually purchase something from the store without spending any additional cash, just your subscription.

Using the paywalling of a race behind 20 dollars extra for the collectors edition and then unlocking the factions with a preorder. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the cash store has the imperial race withing 60 days of release and the ability to unlock factions within that same time

Daknar likes this

What people don't understand is that subscription offers a much more guaranteed income for the publisher, therefore it is alot easier to justify putting funding into new content. I prefer a subscription model over a free to play/pay to win system as long as the quality is there.

There are multiple free games that have just as frequent or more patches than the monthly fee mmo's in the market. Server costs are lower than ever as well and GW2 already broke the barrier for mainstream mmo's. There's no justification for having a fee other than "We want the money and we think we can pull it off." and I seriously think ESO will be the new The Old Republic, with the game as it is now(beta yeah but 2 months are not gonna fix major design issues.) it's far from worth it.

The days of Ultima Online when fees were justified are long gone... The only mmo that can keep it up is wow but that's because it's already established and has millions of addicted people.

Then we come to Old Republic Online.  With my disappointment in STO, I though SWTOR was going to right the world for me, back to the subscription model, voice acted and Star Wars - what could be better?  Then from out of nowhere, free to play was discussed.  I ranted, raved, begged for it not to be true.  But they caved.  Now (or at least the way it was just as I quit) the choice for subscription is gone.  If one wants to do anything worthwhile in the game, you pay through the nose.  They have put so many caps on everything that to play without a subscription is pointless and you still have microtransactions on top of that.

Subscribers still have the same stuff they had before, unless you count cosmetic shit or boosters they put on the store as essential I'm not one to defend TOR's model but subscribers didn't suffer with the f2p. TOR was terribly handled by EA though and  f2p players who want to play it will spend much more than the subscription. Want to see good models? They're around, GW2, EVE(arguably not free but you can pay the fee with ISK.), DCUO, Everquest 2, Marvel Heroes and so on...

Because every month or so there was an update of somekind - whether it was new missions, new power sets, costumes, events, whatever - we got something for our $15.  Plus when you consider the server maintenance, character backups, live, in-game moderators, and the ilk, $15 was a bargain.  This, of coourse, was well before MMOs had any kind of voice acting.

Like I pointed out, the average subscription mmo has the same if not less updates than the good ones without fees. The rest of the things you mentioned are all covered by store purchases(cosmetic items) and upfront game purchases.

wow for example allows you to spend 25$ on a special mount, on top of a 15$ sub and 60/40 $ for vanilla and each expansion, it's a wonderful model ... For them, the first store mount actually made a million in less than a day if I well remember.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem with the game if it was $60 + $15/month, so long as the microtransactions are just cosmetic things and not things that alter the foundation of the gameplay (overpowered weapons for example). However, since I live in Australia this is not the cause because of the "Australia tax" that companies insist on flinging at us. $89.95 for standard, and $119.95 + $15/month subscription is what kills it for me.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem with the game if it was $60 + $15/month, so long as the microtransactions are just cosmetic things and not things that alter the foundation of the gameplay (overpowered weapons for example). However, since I live in Australia this is not the cause because of the "Australia tax" that companies insist on flinging at us. $89.95 for standard, and $119.95 + $15/month subscription is what kills it for me.

iv meet a LOT of Australians and there is almost always a way around that its weather or not u wanna do it 

Got my beta key 2 days ago , and i have been playing since, this game is just awesome, but i would love to see the subscription fee to be lowered

I'm okay with it sticking with the subscription based model, since they can improve the game every month with the added revenue they are getting so long as they're maintaining quality over quantity (just like the first guy to reply in this thread said). But of course, things would get a little more nicer if it followed Guild Wars 2's footsteps of the "pay once get all of the content" model it introduced, not all of us in this world can afford $15 every month just to play a game that they already bought $60 for. Why not reduce the subscription value from $15 to $5 per month? Since it has the Elder Scrolls title on it, surely a lot of players will play the game, add in the HUGE fanbase it's backing on, they'll still get a huge profit from that right? Although, that being said. I don't know if they can bring the promises to life since all of the content footage I've seen is lackluster, with all of the old school MMO bits still present and a little to no innovation what so ever to be found. I don't really know If this game would see success. It's just my point of view though don't get all fed up with me guys. I want this game to work out since I'm a huge TES fan myself.

I'm okay with it sticking with the subscription based model, since they can improve the game every month with the added revenue 

The problem is that that never happens anymore and to be honest probably never did. Patches will be just as frequent as free MMO's patches... Hell Marvel Heroes has one big patch per month and smaller weekly patches as a free game from a small developer with absolutely no pay to win, there's no justification to have fees other than greed. I can't name many other online games that patch frequently(maybe DCUO) fee or not. You'd think wow would have awesome tons of content being constantly added but no not really when there's a big addition it's in a 40$ expansion ESO will be no different.

Full price for the Single Play Story. Subscription for playing other characters to see the rest of the Story. If they really want anyone to subscribe for more then one month they must have a good end game. I don't get it why MMOs think the Way is more important then the End since the End is when you decide you don't need to subscribe anymore. i would never pre-order MMO and never Subscribe to an MMO if I don't know that the End game is good and what I really wanted. Problem with Prize is that they should have thrown away the Lore to make it Free to get and pay to play, but would anyone play an ES game without Lore? And does anyone really cares about Lore in MMOs? I see they like to call it MMORPG, well I won't. I still haven't seen the RPG element to it. I'm not going to say anything about the beta, but I must admit as in any other MMO, if you Skip the Story/Lore you level up faster. And this is the fate of any Lore in MMOs. So basically that 60 $ for me would just go in the Garbage cause after the first couple of quests I would just skip the lore to level up faster. What is the point of playing a Single Player game with a bunch of other people that are all doing the same things you are? Pre order Special Edition to get Married in the game, boy oh boy. You can get that special gift for your girl now. But don't expect her to be like the girls in Skyrim with the mods you play with, when you are alone. Why aren't marriages allowed if you don't have money for premium? Ah that's the RPG element they were talking about, it simulates real life where you can't merry a girl unless you got enough Gold, I get it.

I am 100% fine with the price of the game and the sub fee of $15 a month. 

I plan on playing anywhere from 200-400 hours a month.  So best case I am paying 4 cents per hour of awesomeness....worst care I'm paying 8 cents an hour. 

Compare that to a 2 hour redbox movie for $1.20....Redbox should drop their prices to 8 cents a dvd/per night.

Now if you don't plan on playing as much as I do then yeah you might not get your moneys worth.  But whos fault is that really? 

Do the math people... a redbox rental per hour of enjoyment... you would have to limit yourself to only 25 hours of gameplay per month to equal $1.20 2 hour movie rental.

Stop being cheap, quit smoking to support your ESO addiction!

Angry Joe has a new video on pvp

PS looks like the angry army might be altmeri dominion

I really think they should lower price for monthly sub. Yes, getting game for $60/$80 (or €55/€80) is fine, they worked on it and want invested money back ASAP. But $15/€13 is just too much. They have large fanbase and I think more people would subcribe to game if it was $10/€7,50 (or better if it was lower) at most. Isnt better to sell more subs for lower than less for more?

OK first of all I have played in the beta and I can say that I really enjoyed this game. I shared many of the experiences angry Joe had, everyone should check out his new video on PvP to see why he has changed his mind about the game.

Now about the payment model, ok so I'm from New Zealand which, when it comes to paying for games, is almost always lump in with the US region and I am charged in USD which is fine because the exchange rate is good. However Bethesda/Zenimax Online insist that for some reason I should be lumped in with the en-uk region which means they will charge me in euros which makes the game vastly more expensive for me $21 NZD a month is TOO much! And why am I being lumped in with the en-uk region in the first place? New Zealand is like the exact opposite side of the world! This is more expensive than WoW which I hated paying for and never spent more than maybe 3 months max playing at a time because of this.

Even so I have preordered the game and will play it for at least the first free month. I even bought the imperial edition but only because I got 20% off and charged in USD for the actual game code thanks to greenmangaming and reedit, so it ended up costing about the same as any other AAA title.

I don't think the subscription model is necessarily bad, but I think it is definitely an out dated model. It has been shown by many other titles now that the free to play model works, is profitable; even more so than subs otherwise why would companies switch to it from sub models; and doesn't have to make the game pay to win. There are also other good modern payment models like GW2s buy to play with cosmetic cash shop model which has been very successful. Now there is one notable advantage to having a p2p model, and that is so that developers don't have to spend any time/energy on developing superfluous cash shop items and can instead spend time on developing more interesting game content... At least in theory, however GW2 appears to disprove this as it releases new content constantly and at no additional charge. So there really seems almost no reason left not to go free to play. In fact SWTOR used the exact same argument for the sub model as Bethesda/Zenimax is giving and we all know what happened there.

I really enjoyed this game like I haven't enjoyed an mmo in a while, so I would like it to do well. However if I didn't know better I'd say it was being published by EA... Says sub fee will stop players having to worry about paying for items to have a level playing field or unlock some content, then annoices the game will in fact have a cash shop... Then locks of an entire playable race behind a paywall in what is essentially a day one dlc... Whoever was in charge of this decision needs to be fired. For this game to be successful now on the current payment model I think its going to have to be the best fucking mmo of all time. However I don't think it will be, I think this game fit a specific niece audience that like exploration and layered storylines with awesome voice acting. I think this is a good game and makes many improvements on the standard mmo model, however I don't it will succeed as a p2p game especially not with the questionable and down right moneygrubbing business decisions they have made already. Predict free 2 play within the year, I just hope it doesn't become pay 2 win.

as someone with a full time job and being a full time student

i really have no problem playing 15 a month....the game has a lot of content and will only get better, i have no problem at all supporting this game

besides 15 bucks...is like nothing to me anyway

i really have no problem playing 15 a month....the game has a lot of content and will only get better, i have no problem at all supporting this game

Excatly, its nothing to you, but for me (13 euros) it represents almost 1/10th of my free-to-spend money (after I pay all bills, rent and taxes).

I was originally in favor of the game, and still somewhat hopeful since Angry Joe's preview videos but I know I will be faction locked since I do not have the cash to spend on any special edition.

It's nothing to most people, doesn't mean we're willing to pay for something that should be free by now.

I was originally in favor of the game, and still somewhat hopeful since Angry Joe's preview videos but I know I will be faction locked since I do not have the cash to spend on any special edition.

Actually, as long as you pre-order the game, you will get the explorer's pack even with the standard addition which allows you to play any race as any faction.

It's nothing to most people, doesn't mean we're willing to pay for something that should be free by now.

Something that should be free by now.....

tumblr_m6xoco2iXp1rarmdho1_500.gif

I love the entitlement that MMO gamers have these days. Just because GW2 was B2P and some other MMO's have gone F2P to survive (if they could they would of stuck with the subscription model). Suddenly every single MMO has to be free and if it is not then it gets burned at the stake.

This attitude worries me greatly. Just for that reason alone i am so rooting for TESO to stay a subscription game for as long as it can. And give a huge middle finger to everyone that hates or believes that the subscription model is out of date.

Isnt better to sell more subs for lower than less for more?

you would think so but there is a group of gamers that expect these games to be free...by...now. So because of that way of thinking games like TESO have to keep subs at a high cost to make sure they earn enough money because a group of gamers are just 100% against the sub model because they expect these games to be free...by...now. What has happened in recent days though is some MMO's have just gone free straight of the bat and so now everyone wants free MMO's.

Believe it or not but a good chunk of people still pay for a subscription in those F2P MMO's to avoid paygates. From what I understand is that Wildstar is going to have a sub model along side a F2P model. It is only F2P if you manage to grind enough credits in-game to pay for the subscription, which to me doesn't sound like fun. So i can see loads of players just paying for the subscription just avoid having to grind. In it's defense though it is still in Beta.

I don't have a lot of money but by investing $15 dollars a month it ensures me that i don't go and blow more money to buy more steam games or even a discounted game for the console. I gave up my SWTOR sub last month so i can pay for the TESO game and sub by the time it comes out in April by saving that money up. In the mean time i can catch up on some of my steam games.

How about something like what SWTOR does now and make the game free to play but with an optional subscription that you can pay for to not get pay-gated all the time. This lowers the barrier for entry into the game so that you get a higher player base. And then the people that actually really enjoy the game will probably just buy a subscription. This keeps with Zenimax Online's original intent of the sub fee which is that players can just pay a set fee per month for ZERO pay-gating. But it allows people that don't like subscription fees to choose a different way to pay for the game (small micro-transactions for extra content) or to not pay at all if they are willing to live without the benefits. I think this provides the best compromise. Also the Euro sub price is just too high. And can I point out that even though they said the sub fee is to prevent pay-gating, they turned right around and put a day one dlc pay-gate to play the imperial race. This does not bode well. Also the Explorer's Pack which gives you the ability to play any race as any faction sounds to me like it will be available after launch as a 'cash shop' purchase. Why? because day one dlc already, and the fact the pack already has a name like Explorer Pack and not 'Preorder Bonuses'.

Also the Explorer's Pack which gives you the ability to play any race as any faction sounds to me like it will be available after launch as a 'cash shop' purchase. Why? because day one dlc already, and the fact the pack already has a name like Explorer Pack and not 'Preorder Bonuses'.

Agreed. It's like they are planting the seeds for F2P transactions before the game even starts.

I have to admit, I find the $15/month a pain for a game that starts at $60.  But given the amount of stuff I found for crafting, I can already see that I'd like to have a micro transaction to buy a bigger bank! So where does that leave me? Paying a $15/month fee and wanting micro transactions? Sheer insanity! I'm certain that like other games, this will have the "buy in time chunks to lower the price", meaning if you pay for a year it's only $120 for example ($10/month). But that's a big risk on a game you just paid $60. Here is $180 for 1 year of gameplay. Would I buy it? Maybe. Especially if the 1st month goes well. It all depends on how much fun you have playing the game - because if you are enjoying the game, the time will fly by, and the investment will seem small in comparison. How else can anyone explain WoW still being around? Because people can't let it go they've invested too much already? Or they are still having fun? 

Actually, as long as you pre-order the game, you will get the explorer's pack even with the standard addition which allows you to play any race as any faction.

Even so, preordering I would have to wait months to buy regardless, I do not know about you but places around where I live will not let a pre order sit around for months. So I am screwed anyways :P

Excatly, its nothing to you, but for me (13 euros) it represents almost 1/10th of my free-to-spend money (after I pay all bills, rent and taxes).

lol did you not read what i said? university. living with room mates and full time job to support both and my drinking habit lol 

i can spare 15 bucks a month

and im happy to support this game with 15 bucks a month