• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

darkseid08

The Elder Scrolls Online: Monthly Subscription for a Full-priced Game

Elder Scrolls Online: The Payment Model   257 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of TESO's full game price ($60) and monthly subscription fee ($15/month)

• Totally justified! TESO rocks! WOOOOHHH!!!
    • The monthly fees ok but the base game is too expensive.
    • The base game price is alright, the monthly fees are too expensive.
    • Total Rip-off!!!! TESO sucks! GW2 rocks! Stinson out!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

179 posts in this topic

there is no paywall aside from the actual sub and no content is witheld from a standard subscriber.imperail race is just a bonus thing.its nothing special comparing it to the other races,infact the race has crappier racial bonusses then the other races in the game.the gameshop is an website servicetab for ingame services like namechanges,faction and server/platform changes and etc.yes you have to pay a fee for that nothing different like other mmo,s including the ftp ones.

allot of ppl seem to forget that a game company is an actually buisniss and has to be run like such as they have mouths to feed and expenses to pay.

aswell as they need money for new projects and make a profit.if santa makes an mmo well yea then moaning about a sub would be 110% justified.

ZOS or bethesda however arent collaborating with jolly ol santa,,,,so i dont see the issue here??

if you intend to play it for 2 month only it isnt a bad deal.if you entertain yourself with it for multible years like in wow its an very good deal even.

end of the line is you need to give the game a change wich it deserves just like wildstar if you are into cartoony wow crap.and just see if you like it.

the price is justified and the sub isnt to bad for a triple A game and im shure the price will drop to 10bucks within the year.

if you buy any other triple A game at new release on whatever platform you problably will pay the same amount then you have to pay for this game B)

:rolleyes:

Ummmm having a race that you can only get with a Collectors edition is a payway......also the imperial racials are pretty solid. They have the most HP out of any race.

The game shop we only have loose words of what it will have within it.

You do know F2P with a store is usually more profitable then a sub right?

The price would be more justifable if it didn't also come with a $15 sub (not sure why no one ever drops this) and a shop.

Also I pay less for triple A then I do for this (Thief $5, south park stick of truth $25, got Metro LL for $25, BF4 $32, etc etc)

there are 3 other human races aside from the imperial race all of them have a similiar stat as the imperial race.

i would never prefer max health and stamina over increased in combat stamina magica or heath regeneration personally,aside from this

i really dont think theese bonusses will make any hughe difference in actually combat

Complaints about having to pay a little more for a few extra content features is the same as complaining about having to pay for the product itself. Might as well not pay at all and not play, that way you have nothing to complain about. Those who really want something will obtain it, if you are really bent out of shape about someone else having an additional choice, well you better complain about every other game/product out there that has pre-order/Limited Edition/Collector Edition Bonuses as well.

As long as my money goes to product development and system maintenance, I'm fine paying the extra subscription fees. Should they break my trust, I will cut my losses. These products are an investment in a way, and investments are always a gamble, so better hope luck is on your side rather than worry about what could be.

Smithie likes this

if you are really bent out of shape about someone else having an additional choice, well you better complain about every other game/product out there that has pre-order/Limited Edition/Collector Edition Bonuses as well.

A very accurate statement. I've been buying Collectors Editions for over 7 years now (some real waste of money investments too, truth be told), with combinations of in game and out of game content. Complaining about it is really a statement of "I want the extra stuf for free", or "I want to deprive other people from having things I don't want to buy". Neither case is a valid argument because people are trying to impose their values and desires onto other people. If those things didn't sell, they wouldn't exist.

Most collector games seem to have the same big 4 items they give away: minor boost items that usually are thrown away by mid-way to max level. Mounts or some other type of quick move ability, and Pets...another absolutely useless item that gives nothing to the game...except for a visual laugh.  Classes I've seen added in the past 2 years: Neverwinter had dark elf race & panther pet you couldn't get without a $200 collectors edition and that was a f2p game. Star Wars the old Republic  didn't start as a f2p, but it's collector edition had a mount/pet/items in it and that game appeared 4 years ago. Now that it is f2p, you have to buy races, so there you have it. The point being - complaining about a collectors edition isn't going to change anything. At most, the items will be available for sale for a price later...maybe. So if they really seem that important, spend the $20 now instead of later.

JTSJ likes this

there are 3 other human races aside from the imperial race all of them have a similiar stat as the imperial race.

i would never prefer max health and stamina over increased in combat stamina magica or heath regeneration personally,aside from this

i really dont think theese bonusses will make any hughe difference in actually combat

Only redguard is the similar one with 2/4 racials that are the same.

Guess you only done beta weekends? With soft cap right now putting all your points in health is the best way right now.

Min-max always makes a difference in combat

Complaints about having to pay a little more for a few extra content features is the same as complaining about having to pay for the product itself. Might as well not pay at all and not play, that way you have nothing to complain about. Those who really want something will obtain it, if you are really bent out of shape about someone else having an additional choice, well you better complain about every other game/product out there that has pre-order/Limited Edition/Collector Edition Bonuses as well.

As long as my money goes to product development and system maintenance, I'm fine paying the extra subscription fees. Should they break my trust, I will cut my losses. These products are an investment in a way, and investments are always a gamble, so better hope luck is on your side rather than worry about what could be.

So then you are fine with P2W then.

A very accurate statement. I've been buying Collectors Editions for over 7 years now (some real waste of money investments too, truth be told), with combinations of in game and out of game content. Complaining about it is really a statement of "I want the extra stuf for free", or "I want to deprive other people from having things I don't want to buy". Neither case is a valid argument because people are trying to impose their values and desires onto other people. If those things didn't sell, they wouldn't exist.

Most collector games seem to have the same big 4 items they give away: minor boost items that usually are thrown away by mid-way to max level. Mounts or some other type of quick move ability, and Pets...another absolutely useless item that gives nothing to the game...except for a visual laugh.  Classes I've seen added in the past 2 years: Neverwinter had dark elf race & panther pet you couldn't get without a $200 collectors edition and that was a f2p game. Star Wars the old Republic  didn't start as a f2p, but it's collector edition had a mount/pet/items in it and that game appeared 4 years ago. Now that it is f2p, you have to buy races, so there you have it. The point being - complaining about a collectors edition isn't going to change anything. At most, the items will be available for sale for a price later...maybe. So if they really seem that important, spend the $20 now instead of later.

Not sure where this poor assumption of "I want the CE stuff to be free" comes from.

"So then you are fine with P2W then."

If people want to spend their money that way, so be it.

On another note, I never mentioned anything about P2W cash shops? Last I read, I spoke of bonuses and subscriptions, which I'm fine with, not P2W cash shops. I'm also fine with cash shops that sell nothing more than vanity items and cosmetics. From a certain point of view, it's all pay to win, you pay for the product and work to win in the end content.

I went with the 4th option however not because of Guild Wars. It is because they are milking the Elder Scrolls title for EVERY thing they can get out of ONE game. Most companies do this with a ton of squels that suck but I guese they want to just make one game and have you pay for 20 sequels over time. Honestly the game isn't that great been in the closed beta since the first wave of codes went out. However this game is lacking in some major areas. A new character takes 2+ Hours before it starts getting a slight feeling of Elder Scrolls and not just a rip off of all MMORPGs out there. So most people will instantly hate it. Asking a player to spend 2+ hours in that MMORPG hell that we all have played 500 times over. Won't make it past the 1 hour mark anymore for most people. The game is being milked to hell and honeslty I lost all faith in this company.

All i can say is, if this weekends beta is as B-O-R-I-N-G as the last then they will just have to miss out on my 80 dollars and sub fee, I'll give my sub fees to games that I enjoy and don't have to spend 3+ hours getting to ten to do PvP thank you

JTSJ and Hawko like this

The last few game what tried with a month sub are now f2p.

Tera and SW Old REpublic in less then a year and Secret World change from sub to one time buy model.

Im going to wait and in few months to 1year, i believe its going to be one time pay or f2p.

This is exactly why I will wait a few months or even more till I decide to play ESO. There is a big chance of it going F2P and all the money you spent before just goes away to nothing while you could of spared it and buy yourself additional stuff that will be introduced, if the game goes free to play.

This is exactly why I will wait a few months or even more till I decide to play ESO. There is a big chance of it going F2P and all the money you spent before just goes away to nothing while you could of spared it and buy yourself additional stuff that will be introduced, if the game goes free to play.

I purchased ESO already only for 2 reasons I have a decent number of friends who also did and the biggest reason, it only cost me $32. So I'll play out the free month with friends and then most likely move on (unless the end game is really amazing)

All i can say is, if this weekends beta is as B-O-R-I-N-G as the last then they will just have to miss out on my 80 dollars and sub fee, I'll give my sub fees to games that I enjoy and don't have to spend 3+ hours getting to ten to do PvP thank you

Well after finding a website with all the soul shards listed it game was much more enjoyable. Getting all of those at lvl 6 gave me locations and levels for all the quest. so The running treadmill wasn't as bad as the beta on the tenth.

Did the pvp area and the lag yesterday was so bad. it was worse than doing Fortress sieges in Warhammer

Talking about WAR, WAR was much ome derserving of classical P2P price model (60$ up front and 15$ monthly) than ESO. In many ways ESO is a few steps back instead of foward, and therefore not worth full price.

It's looking like it could have a cash store and a subscription which is a rip-off (I remember Star Trek Online doing that and failing to justify things that were in the cash store that should be for subscribing players).

The game is also too expensive.   £49.99 for the standard version and £69.99 for the Imperial version (digital downloard).  But that is the price at launch, I fully expect the game price to drop in the 6 months - 1 year following launch and probably go free2play at some point after that.  Star Wars The Old Republic, I bought that for £59.99 - its now £6.00 for the hard copy and free to download. 

You pay to play the game first, you pay for the early access and if you want the little bonuses like a horse then you pay extra for that to.  Don't like it then wait - just like the price of the Next Gen consoles.   Zennimax has to make a profit and generate a continued income from this game (sub).   I'm going to get it.

the game wont have an cashshop at all.i expect a price drop in the subfee over time but it wont go free to play.

Comparing this game with SWTOR isnt possible,the size of this game and the stuff you can do alone is much wider then in SWTOR.

compare this game with the maps of WOW but much bigger.

OFC prices will drop overtime like it does with everything.a new tv will cost 3grand when its new and a year later

the same tv will only cost a thousend,thats the  way it works.

me how ever,idont wanna wait just to save myself a 100bucks and miss out on allot of fun in the game.

regardless this game will become a succses in epic WOW porportions.As big as WOW and maybey even bigger?!

BTW if you think SWTOR has failed then think again,the game has costed EA 500million dollars at launch and it made its money back within a year and

still make a good profit up to this day.I still play it for pvp today.what im trying to say is dont be cheap and support this game if possible as

there will be more coming from ZOS,for this game and other stuff to come. :)

I think the box-price was too high since the subscription fee is the heavier investment to any loyal fan.

ZENIMAX may be too proud (or have planned for things to go south) to include a cash-store and/or eventually go F2P, but lowering the entry-price could mean more players in the short term (launch period) and I think that would have been a step in the right direction.

With the original price being 60 dollars and including monthly subscriptions, it seems to me like Zeni and Bethy think they made the best MMORPG ever. I will probably wait for the base price to fall or even wait for a little while and see if the game goes free to play. I will rather pay for some things in the store than pay 60 dollars and then 15 dollars monthly. For that kind of money, you can get premium stuff in games in small matter of time.

the game wont have an cashshop at all.i expect a price drop in the subfee over time but it wont go free to play.

Comparing this game with SWTOR isnt possible,the size of this game and the stuff you can do alone is much wider then in SWTOR.

OFC prices will drop overtime like it does with everything.a new tv will cost 3grand when its new and a year later

me how ever,idont wanna wait just to save myself a 100bucks and miss out on allot of fun in the game.

regardless this game will become a succses in epic WOW porportions.As big as WOW and maybey even bigger?!

BTW if you think SWTOR has failed then think again,the game has costed EA 500million dollars at launch and it made its money back within a year and

still make a good profit up to this day.I still play it for pvp today.what im trying to say is dont be cheap and support this game if possible as

1.  Can you substantiate the claim that the game won't have a cash shop?  Given how lucrative cash stores have proven I find it hard to believe. 

2.  I wasn't compare ESO the game with SWTOR I referenced the launch pricing strategy, both were released with a premium price and a subscription.

3.  I know prices will drop, that was my exact point.  Pay the premium now or wait for the price to drop/game to go free.

4.  I never gave any reference to SWTOR failed, I didn't like the game but I didn't say it failed.  In fact having my fingers burned by that experience is why I tried BETA with this - a try before I invest.

5.  Yep, I will be supporting this game, I knew about it a year before it was announced - friend worked for Bethesda, I've been waiting for it a long long time.  I fully expect a Fallout Online to follow once this has been established.  The infrastructure and code is now there. 

I think we agree in a round about way, save for the cash store. 

I think the era of MMO is in decline, if not over. I have played several in past years, including WoW, but eventually got burned out on it. I find ESO to be nothing great and when people ask me about it I tell them it's okay. I have no delusions that this will be the most awesome game ever. The selling points for me are that is in the ES world and I can play with other people. I will still play this but without the enthusiasm I had when I first played WoW and CoH back nine years ago. I think by not setting the bar too high, people will not be disappointed. I wonder how this game is going to do on the console market.

So my questions is, if MMO's are over, what's next?

I think the era of MMO is in decline, if not over. I have played several in past years, including WoW, but eventually got burned out on it. I find ESO to be nothing great and when people ask me about it I tell them it's okay. I have no delusions that this will be the most awesome game ever. The selling points for me are that is in the ES world and I can play with other people. I will still play this but without the enthusiasm I had when I first played WoW and CoH back nine years ago. I think by not setting the bar too high, people will not be disappointed. I wonder how this game is going to do on the console market.

I don't think MMOs are over. They just need a new formula and something new, but otherwise I don't think MMOs will ever die out, they are just too popular to die out. Developers just need to start putting some fresh content and features to them and not repeat the same stuff over and over again.

Despite my rant I am interested in Pathfinder when it comes out along with Repopulation. When CoH shut down it hit me that we don't own our characters. We are really just paying rent. When that game collapses your character goes with it. I think that mortality made me a little wary of MMO's since.

LordOfPit likes this

The devs have already said their is going to be a cash store in the game....Also ESO will be F2P most likely 1-2 years with a very off chance of longer.

Bigger map doesn't mean "better", to much of ESO is boring running around with nothing interesting to see/do far to often.

SWTOR failed, but being a failure doesn't mean you can't be profitable within a niche.

MMOs are not over, its just the fact that they will never be as big as the fluke known as WoW. Companies keep wanting to chance the "WoW 2" dream. Instead of finding their niche or trying something vastly different.

bob dolen pls show me the actual statment of any developer within ZOS saying there is coming a cashshop in the game,other then what nick konkel said in the podcast from eso off the record a year ago in wich he mentions the term cashshop but actually means a webbased service tab where you can change faction.race appearence or server/platform for a fee,aswell if you consider theese service a cashshop the yea there is a cashshop.

btw any game that gets played to long gets boring overtime 

LordOfPit likes this

I hope some companies are developing their new ideas now since it will take several years for them to hit the market. So MMO's may not be over but there could be  a gap of time before they return in quality and innovation.

Arreyanne likes this

bob dolen pls show me the actual statment of any developer within ZOS saying there is coming a cashshop in the game,other then what nick konkel said in the podcast from eso off the record a year ago in wich he mentions the term cashshop but actually means a webbased service tab where you can change faction.race appearence or server/platform for a fee,aswell if you consider theese service a cashshop the yea there is a cashshop.

btw any game that gets played to long gets boring overtime

I'd love to see that dev-statement as well.