• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

darkseid08

The Elder Scrolls Online: Monthly Subscription for a Full-priced Game

Elder Scrolls Online: The Payment Model   257 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of TESO's full game price ($60) and monthly subscription fee ($15/month)

• Totally justified! TESO rocks! WOOOOHHH!!!
    • The monthly fees ok but the base game is too expensive.
    • The base game price is alright, the monthly fees are too expensive.
    • Total Rip-off!!!! TESO sucks! GW2 rocks! Stinson out!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

179 posts in this topic

I'd love to see that dev-statement as well.

bob dolen pls show me the actual statment of any developer within ZOS saying there is coming a cashshop in the game,other then what nick konkel said in the podcast from eso off the record a year ago in wich he mentions the term cashshop but actually means a webbased service tab where you can change faction.race appearence or server/platform for a fee,aswell if you consider theese service a cashshop the yea there is a cashshop.

btw any game that gets played to long gets boring overtime 

http://www.destructoid.com/elder-scrolls-online-will-also-have-a-cash-shop-260667.phtml

"There won't be anything like 'bonus points' but we'll have a shop to buy kinda fun stuff and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game, anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."

That is why games like MMOs release new content overtime.

http://www.destructoid.com/elder-scrolls-online-will-also-have-a-cash-shop-260667.phtml

"There won't be anything like 'bonus points' but we'll have a shop to buy kinda fun stuff and services too, like name changes and things like that. But it's not part of the core game, anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."

That is why games like MMOs release new content overtime.

Thanks for the link! :)

Services like name/faction/gender-changes costing money in MMO's are nothing new as most MMO's out there charge for this because it's the easiest/laziest money-maker available: i.e. give us money to change our database records. I'm oversimplifying this but since most people don't require these services on a regular basis you'd probably never see any MMO offer them for free.

Other stuff like added emotes and customization options... well, it's annoying but that is to be expected as well. This image should look familiar:

WoW-Cash-Shop-01.jpg

Hopefully ZENIMAX/BETHESDA will figure out that perhaps less is more both in regards to having planned ESO so it can survive as a niche MMO with a subscription fee and in careful planning of what goes on their cash store so that ESO players don't feel disgusted when they look at the stores site.

On the other hand, perhaps ESO will go F2P and you'll see miniature pets of Daedric Princes on the cash-store, who knows... :o

Thanks for the link! :)

Services like name/faction/gender-changes costing money in MMO's are nothing new as most MMO's out there charge for this because it's the easiest/laziest money-maker available: i.e. give us money to change our database records. I'm oversimplifying this but since most people don't require these services on a regular basis you'd probably never see any MMO offer them for free.

Other stuff like added emotes and customization options... well, it's annoying but that is to be expected as well. This image should look familiar:

WoW-Cash-Shop-01.jpg

Hopefully ZENIMAX/BETHESDA will figure out that perhaps less is more both in regards to having planned ESO so it can survive as a niche MMO with a subscription fee and in careful planning of what goes on their cash store so that ESO players don't feel disgusted when they look at the stores site.

On the other hand, perhaps ESO will go F2P and you'll see miniature pets of Daedric Princes on the cash-store, who knows... :o

Indeed the services became more normal in recent years, but issue I've seen is sometimes they cause a big issue (faction changes really). Had a issue with it in WoW and GW2 (was free in GW2) making for some serious issues for PvP. Hopefully doesn't become an issue for ESO.

I'm fine with the shop as long as it is done correctly, but all to often a shop means F2P. Maybe they just want the extra cash or maybe they are planning ahead since 1-2 years seems to be pretty standard for MMOs.

I don't really mind paying a subscription fee. What's pissed me off is the fact it will cost me more to buy the game compared to an American.

It's £50 for digital download which roughly translates as $83...Where's the fairness in that?

I don't really mind paying a subscription fee. What's pissed me off is the fact it will cost me more to buy the game compared to an American.

It's £50 for digital download which roughly translates as $83...Where's the fairness in that?

That's a massive point, surely digital content should be the same price Worldwide? Tax not withstanding.

ebay is filled with editions with an cheaper price

Try finding other sites to buy the game, surely you can find something. Most of the time, it's cheaper there. You don't have to buy the game from ESO website directly.

I did find it cheaper, but I was just pointing out the fact I was being charged more. Plus I get two less days early access due to buying it from a third party. -_-

i don't know right now if is worth the $15 month when it comes out we will see if it is worth the money

Subscription is Justified
Base price is expensive (because there is also a monthly wouldve, been cool if we have 2-3months free after buying it)
Cash shop is Ridiculous

for those waiting if it goes free to play,
if it does.. it wont be free to play right away..
it would be pay for the game then free to play like gw2..

meaning the base price wouldnt drop.. like gw2 (if they do decided to be f2p)

as for any race any faction.. would be a prob.. if you buy it late..
but they may prolly add it on cash shop in a few months..

as for somethin that might more likely to happen
base price drops, subscription stays the same..

Subscription is Justified

Base price is expensive (because there is also a monthly wouldve, been cool if we have 2-3months free after buying it)

Cash shop is Ridiculous

for those waiting if it goes free to play,

if it does.. it wont be free to play right away..

it would be pay for the game then free to play like gw2..

meaning the base price wouldnt drop.. like gw2 (if they do decided to be f2p)

as for any race any faction.. would be a prob.. if you buy it late..

but they may prolly add it on cash shop in a few months..

as for somethin that might more likely to happen

base price drops, subscription stays the same..

I've been reading a lot of articles and Zenimax said they will not make the game free to play and it's kind of justified in that matter. If they do turn it free to play a year or so later, then that would be unfair for all players who were previously paying all the time...it would cause a huge problem I think. Also Zenimax said that they won't make it free to play because they will make it up by releasing lots of content and DLCs and bla bla bla and that the monthly sub will just stay.

However, it's crap that the base game is so expensive and then the next month you have to pay again and like you said, it would be great, if players got at least 2 to 3 months free once they buy the base game.

Yeap its all about the base price..
Even though i bought the phys imperial ed (mainly because i am a collector + i played the beta and it looks cool imo)

I still hate the prices
but it can still be justified
because there is already a huge huge content to do..
that itself is already like playing a solo xbox ps game that last 200+ hours  + you get to play it with people

But if i hadnt played the beta.. and i am not a collector.. I would be more inclined to buy the game.. if .. IF.. you get more than a month of free play time.. yea 2-3 month sounds good.. at least ! 2 months.. come on! zeni besthy lol..

Apex Spartan likes this

the imperial edition isnt really needed at all,ok ive bought it but im not gonna make an imperial at all i bought the edition for the horse only.

the base price is justified for the amount of content you get offered and the sub is standard  price in my oppinion for a triple a game wich it is,tho i hope they will go down to 10bucks over a year or so.the online shop holds no interrest for me so i dont care what crap is put on there.

ive payed more for other games and i payed less aswell.watchdogs,titanfall,brokenfield4 all of thoose games are around 60euros´and have far less content,you dont hear ppl moaning about thoose games?well apart from BF4 as its just one big piece of broken data you buy for big price,well thats EA bringing out broken games and then hotfix the crap out of them.

all in all TESO isnt that cashgrabby at all when it comes to this game.sunday will be the smoothest launch of another good mmo since dark age of camelot

i do agree on having atleast 2months play with the imperial edition would made the 20euros more justifyed

the imperial edition isnt really needed at all,ok ive bought it but im not gonna make an imperial at all i bought the edition for the horse only.

Agreed bought it for horse with a 20^ discount though otherwise i wouldn't have spent that much on it.

the base price is justified for the amount of content you get offered and the sub is standard  price in my opinion for a triple a game which it is,tho i hope they will go down to 10bucks over a year or so.the online shop holds no interrest for me so i dont care what crap is put on there.

I disagree the standard edition should have been like most game 49.99 but lets digress. I however spend somewhere in excess of 120 dollars a month in Tera on cosmetic item Outfits for my 24 toon weapon skins etc. So if they don't add things i like to the store why should I even spend a dime. We'll see however what they do. Costume slot like Tera or transmutation stones like GW2

ive payed more for other games and i payed less aswell.watchdogs,titanfall,brokenfield4 all of those games are around 60euros´and have far less content,you dont hear ppl moaning about those games?well apart from BF4 as its just one big piece of broken data you buy for big price,well thats EA bringing out broken games and then hotfix the crap out of them.

Well theres always the Rome Total War 2 release worse than EA and BF4

all in all TESO isnt that cashgrabby at all when it comes to this game.sunday will be the smoothest launch of another good mmo since dark age of camelot

i do agree on having atleast 2months play with the imperial edition would made the 20euros more justifyed

I don't understand how you could foresee the best release since DAoC, you a member of the Zenimax team? My personal reservation with this game has always been the non Elder Scrolls feel to me. However I didnt start playing Elder scrolls till SKyrim. I still personally feel the combat is clunky and even after revamping the starter areas which helped a bunch in low level leveling. The game is three times as grindy as Aion was at release to me anyways.

That all said I really do hope the pre-release goes smooth and isnt the debacle that ToR was.

i base this on the hystory of zenimax,and the ppl that joined zenimax on an earlyer stage

ZeniMax Media has named a Mythic Entertainment founder and former exec to head its new online gaming division.

Matt Firor will lead ZeniMax Online Studios as the new division works to create a still-unnamed massively-multiplayer online role-playing game out of its Bethesda, Md., offices.

ZeniMax is the parent company of Bethesda Softworks, creators of the Elder Scrolls series and the upcoming RPG Fallout 3. Bethesda has also developed a series of games based in the Star Trek universe.

Firor worked at Mythic for ten years, where he produced the MMO Dark Age of Camelot and other titles, eventually gaining control of all the company's development projects, according to GameRecruiter, the company that helped place Firor at ZeniMax.

I've been reading a lot of articles and Zenimax said they will not make the game free to play and it's kind of justified in that matter. If they do turn it free to play a year or so later, then that would be unfair for all players who were previously paying all the time...it would cause a huge problem I think. Also Zenimax said that they won't make it free to play because they will make it up by releasing lots of content and DLCs and bla bla bla and that the monthly sub will just stay.

However, it's crap that the base game is so expensive and then the next month you have to pay again and like you said, it would be great, if players got at least 2 to 3 months free once they buy the base game.

I've heard the "we won't make it F2P" line from many devs and then a year down the road bam, it doesn't cause a huge problem more so if they do a hybrid method.

I don't mind paying 60 bucks for a game or 15 bucks a month as subscription, but paying both at the same time isn't going to happen. I've been a fan of the elder scrolls for years now but I'm too poor and not that excited about MMOs anymore even after playing games such as WoW, GW2, Tera Online. Rift, SWTOR, etc. The things that should have been there from the beginning in the game (imperial race, playing for any faction, etc) are now being charged an extra 20 bucks on top of the 60 bucks +15 per month... 

I don't believe in the f2p game model that much and neither do i believe in the p2w model, but this game is going to keep a lot of people away because of that price tag... 

Who knows, my opinion might be different a few months from now but until then i think i'll get my fill of ESO from youtube or twitch..

I don't mind paying 60 bucks for a game or 15 bucks a month as subscription, but paying both at the same time isn't going to happen. I've been a fan of the elder scrolls for years now but I'm too poor and not that excited about MMOs anymore even after playing games such as WoW, GW2, Tera Online. Rift, SWTOR, etc. The things that should have been there from the beginning in the game (imperial race, playing for any faction, etc) are now being charged an extra 20 bucks on top of the 60 bucks +15 per month... 

I don't believe in the f2p game model that much and neither do i believe in the p2w model, but this game is going to keep a lot of people away because of that price tag... 

Who knows, my opinion might be different a few months from now but until then i think i'll get my fill of ESO from youtube or twitch..

Yeap, the price keeps many people away from the game. Only if the base price was lower, many more people would play the game. Since the price is also too high for me, I will just wait a few months till I buy it. If reviews and feedback are bad however or not "worth the price", I'm not getting it.

i said on here before that it is justified, but after 3 betas and early access i change my mind, and furthermore have cancelled my pre order and won't be playing.

-the game is much like a single player ES game, with a zone chat, and co-op based parties on questing and dungeons.

-the pvp is almost entirely a different game, and starts and ends in the same PVP zone, i.e. gear acquired for PVP can only be used in PVP, which is one zone. in other words, pointless.

-there are still shitty generic 10 year old mmorpg quests, like go kill 10 pigs and come back for a reward.

for the above reasons, and due to my age and my 5 year long marathon on world of warcraft which i don't play anymore, and havent for 2 years, i will not be jumping back into  mmorpgs with this game, and certainly not for the monthly price they ask for. the game is too much of the same shit repeated on other games over and over, and it's really not worth paying to play if you might only play it for no more than 20 hours a month or less.

for new players, by all means, go and have fun. but im older and i started mmorpgs back in 06, and i can tell you in those days the genre was much better, and this new stuff is really lacking compared to my experience and that's why for me i vote no, the price isn't worth it. you could play the same kind of bad game, GW2, for free. it even has the exact same WVW PVP, and the same playstyle of PVE / open world content, it just doesnt have an elder scrolls mask over it.

I don't feel like posting a wall of text, so...

Love it, I don't like paying $60 for it, but I'm not poor, so I got over that. Subs are normal and preferred to me, especially if they will provide expansions for free. I like the idea of continual development on a large scale because a company can maintain a larger and more active dev. team. Plus, it somewhat weeds out the people who really want to play versus the people who are just there for a quick fix. I can't wait for everyones free month to be up.

The "too old" thing might be your opinion, but I started playing MMOs in 97' with Ultima Online when we ALL paid $10 a month plus $19.99(or more) for an expansion, same goes for EverQuest.

Fridgeracer what do you mean gear acquired for PvP can only be used for PvP? I've received gear/found gear in Cyrodiil and it came with me to PvE and vice versa. I was also under the impression that one of the press releases had ESO developers quoted saying you could do just that. Take gear with you from PvE to PvP and vice versa. If I misunderstood what you meant I apologize.

I think that monthly subscriptions on top of a full priced game is a greedy cash grab and I will take no part in it (one week later: Im sitting on my couch giving my life away to TESO) don't judge me...

$15 a month is really nothing at all, especially considering that if you play an hour a day, it's $.50 a day. If you play more than an hour a day the cost is even less. The real problem here is the fact that they're charging full price for the game (more if you go IE) plus a sub fee plus microtransactions. Guild Wars 2 got it right, other devs need to take a hint from ArenaNet.