• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glaice

New LCS contract forbids eSports season 4 players from streaming DOTA2, Blizzard games [Updated]

8 posts in this topic

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/riot-season-4-lcs-contracts-stipulate-players-cannot-stream-dota-2-blizzard-games/1100-261/

Documents obtained by onGamers reveal that players competing in Season 4 of the LCS may not stream or advertise a slew of other games including Dota 2, StarCraft 2, Hearthstone, World of WarCraft, and World of Tanks.

Update, 11:20AM PST: onGamers has confirmed with the team representatives that LCS players are disallowed from streaming the games listed below outright, not just when adjacent to a League of Legends stream. Under Section 3 Rule 4 of the new contract handling 'Non-League Events and Streaming', it states that "... the [LCS] Team shall ensure that, during the Term of this Agreement, its Team Members do not publicly stream gameplay of the titles set forth on Exhibit B". Exhibit B states "the specific restrictions on streaming are set forth in the Sponsorship and Streaming Restricted List, as updated by the League from time to time", which is the document listed below.

Anyone see this is a massive dick move by Riot Games to both the players playing and fans?

Update 12/7/13: Riot apparently has reversed this policy

(Off topic, I tried adding this link like 4 times in full edit mode, greeted with the AJSA 404 page after hitting submit)

Agreed.

It's like if the NBA forbids their player, playing soccer publicly... just silly!

I guess it's time for NA and EU to totally drop out since they have next to no chance at the championship and probably make way more money streaming.

The stupidity of this one goes to the moon and back.... :blink:  It`s something like:

Hey, thank you for making us buckets of money while we stream you play in the big tournament (way more then you get for winning the tournament) but we don`t want you to make any money by streaming while you play in your own free time so f@#k you, either make us money to in your free time (i guess that`s where this is going) or you can`t stream our games!!

.....speachless  :blink: 

One thing I find really funny is RIOT included in their ban list Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes, a game that died on March.

All good some would say right?....i think not...unfortunately RIOT set a precedent here even if it reversed it policy.It has show that these kind of restrictions could be part of Pro Players contracts and it`s a matter of time till we will see some other big company come up with a similar plan/contract.

That contract also will be reversed or kept but in some modified form which will give the impression that feed-back won and they changed their minds. 

The problem here is that with this first step RIOT took, more steps even if tiny ones will follow from them or from other companies.Next time they`ll think "hmm last time didn`t work so well how can we try it this time so we won`t get such a negative backlash"....and by trial and error (by RIOT and other game designers/companies) it will become a common practice to force this kind of restrictions on pro players....just look at DLC by analogy one company started it (precedent) then one more and so on `till they saw it`s more profitable to realese DLC then sequals and now DLC is the norm ....

The things i said are my own views mixed in with an article i read on a Dota2 site...will try to find the link and edit it here...

Edit: Uh found it:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/05/why-riot-really-needs-to-rethink-pro-stream-restrictions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29

I've been following this story a bit, and it's something which I simply cannot fathom. Pro players do not often stream for Riot games, they often stream for their own organizations or their own profit - why the hell would Riot prohibit them from playing other games? They're pro players, sure, but they also need some fun every once in a while, and when you're playing something professionally, sometimes you just want to relax and play something else. Besides, some people do enjoy seeing pro players play other games. Some of those players are just great personalities and aren't liked just for their skill.

Also, diamond 1/challenger players in League have insanely long queue times. If I can't play another game while my 30 or so minute queue is up, I'd go batshit insane because of the wait and just log out completely. I couldn't be bothered to wait that long while just staring at the screen. Streaming gives those players more money than tournaments more often than not, as well ( unless a major tournament like World's ). If I was an LCS player and that contract made it impossible for me to play other games in my downtime, I'd just ditch the LCS and start to heavily stream. It'll give me more money and I won't be tied by Riot. Seems like a better solution than obeying such a stupid rule. Most games aren't a direct competitor to LoL anyway except DotA, HotS and Smite. There's no reason to block games that aren't even in the same genre and niche. It's only bad news for the players, and not for Riot.

P.S: Excuse me if my English is not coherent at all, late at night and this crap infuriates me.