• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tj Laser

do you think there will ever be another "golden eye", "super smash bros melee" or "FF 7"?

7 posts in this topic

i couldnt figure out how to word the article, so this is what i mean: do you ever think there will be another one of those games that EVERYONE plays like golden eye, final fantasy 7, resident evil 4, melee, and other titles like that. back in the days of high school, it was all about time splitters 2.       (feel free to skip the next 2 paragraphs if you dont like reading, they are not that important to understand it XD)

i honestly think 99% of all guys at our school had, or play that game. im not trying to sound like cocky or what ever, cause im really not (even though it might come off sounding like a jackass XD), but myself and the guys i hung out with were kinda the jocks, like, 3 sport athletes and all that shit, but we all played time splitters. we would hang out after school, hook up some gamecubes and all play it. it never was thought of as "nerdy" or whatever. at big house parties, there would ALWAYS be a tv hooked up with people playing it, and waiting to play. in the football locker room, we sometimes had like team conversations about like resident evil 4, and super smash bros. it seems like that shit would never happen in todays society, where everyone can get together, and all share that common. 

In college, theres nothing like that, yet we all talk about the same kind of thing that i mentioned, the people i hang out with at college all have similar stories about middle school and high school with certain games. im not talking about like "gta 5", yeah so many people have it, but its not a "social experience" like the games we played. even RE 4 was a social experience back in high school, you would watch people play, or vis versa XD. online with mics just isnt the same thing. my little brothers in are in middle and high school and they have nothing like that at all. he might play COD for an hour or 2 and chat online, and would never ever talk about games in public or at school.

i dont know, maybe those days are over. i honestly cant picture and game really reviving that sense of unity. why play COD on couch split screen when you could do it at home? it doesnt make a lot of sense. and there are hardly any split screen games these days, and your lucky to find one with 4 play split screen. any thoughts? to bored after reading all that shit to comment? XD    sorry, the nostalgia kicked in and i couldnt stop XD

Back in the 90s I was annoyed at having to use splitscreen for multiplayer, to the point that I never wanted to do it.

Of the games you mentioned, I only ever played Golden Eye. That game was great. Another great one in the same vain as you're talking about was Mario Party, playing that with 4 friends would keep us entertained for hours.

And to answer the question, it will never happen again in today's or future gaming, which is a little saddening.

Tj Laser likes this

Yes! I want super mario 3d world but I don't have a wii u. :/

And I know exactly what you are talking about with the good times playing split screen and watching each other play games. I actually had time splitters 2 on ps2, but I think future perfect was better. There is still some potential for fun split screen sitting around the tv with friends. I mean recently well, in the past months recently me and my friend had fun playing twisted metal online split screen. That game also has 4 player split screen. He also watched me play through about half of the last of us. Halo 2 was the best for playing split screen multiplayer! I do find it pretty lame most games online now days dont even have split screen options. Also it could be partly just finding a cool friend who is willing to play with you that way! This is why I look forward to having the new super smash bros on 3ds.... Also not to hate pc gaming but not being able to play games on a tv split screen sucks imo, unless you have multiple pcs in the same room with a lan connection its not going to happen.

•  
Jackie and Tj Laser like this

Yes! I want super mario 3d world but I don't have a wii u. :/

And I know exactly what you are talking about with the good times playing split screen and watching each other play games. I actually had time splitters 2 on ps2, but I think future perfect was better. There is still some potential for fun split screen sitting around the tv with friends. I mean recently well, in the past months recently me and my friend had fun playing twisted metal online split screen. That game also has 4 player split screen. He also watched me play through about half of the last of us. Halo 2 was the best for playing split screen multiplayer! I do find it pretty lame most games online now days dont even have split screen options. Also it could be partly just finding a cool friend who is willing to play with you that way! This is why I look forward to having the new super smash bros on 3ds.... Also not to hate pc gaming but not being able to play games on a tv split screen sucks imo, unless you have multiple pcs in the same room with a lan connection its not going to happen.

•  

yeah theres a ton of great split screen games, and those are always my favorite, getting taco bell and just playing through killzone 3, resistance 3, far cry 3 co op, 50 cent co op, and borderlands 2 all on couch co op till like 4am are some of my favorite nights ever XD.   but im talking about how time splitters was just a thing everyone did when i was in high school. it was a social thing that everyone could relate to and we all had in common. just good memories. we would pick someones house to go to for the week, then go there after football practice to play T.S. or super smash melee. just like 15-25 guys hanging out, not even the same ones everytime, everyone was invited, friends or not. it was great. now you have awesome split screen games, but its just not that same feeling

I mean I think only certain games should be pro split-screen or you know everyone share the same screen type games such as melee. Nintendo seems to have it down pat, like they get it in that sense, its seen with Mario 3d world which is a great example of how shared screen or split screen isn't completely dead, its much like a board game in which its as fun as the people around you find it fun, with that said as much as it is fun to have, having a separate screen is just in so much more convenient and things like youtube, streaming and online play kind of eliminate the barrier for real close interactive social play, I mean the idea of the next Super Smash will be available on 3DS which I think will just expand the possibilities (obviously will also bring about problems) but that's moving towards a different topic.

in terms of these old school games, I mean I think they will always be the benchmark of originality, they will always set the precedence but I mean I just don't see them coming back, for example as much as anyone was a FF7 remake, thats exactly what it is, its not (well it shouldn't anyways) going to change in storyline or the character, it will simply look better in order for more people to understand it and better appreciate it. in terms of a FF game that will set new standards and originality to RPG games for the next generation or maybe even ever, as much as i'd like to think it will, FF has just becomes a series that doesn't know exactly what it want's to be and it's sad because of what it accomplished so much earlier that allowed for that specific genre to flourish for years to the present day and most games now have RPG elements implemented into the game to provide depth and this goes for most of the old school games. I mean I remember playing those games, I didn't play golden eye as much as I played Perfect Dark which was about the same and It was an amazing time and you can just imagine how it was the foundation for many FPS games today in terms of multiplayer but to set a new standard for FPS is hard because its exactly that, there's only so much you can do and I feel we are getting closer to that limit.