• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

The Seagull Milker

The Steam Box

57 posts in this topic

Any One Considering Of Getting The Steam Box? Or At Least Your Thoughts Personally With All The New News About It I Am Most Certainly Getting It Most Definitely Because Of How You Can Upgrade It! Valve Is Good! I Hope I Put This In The Right Place :P Pardon Me If I Didnt!

fzzywarbles likes this

Valve has earned my utmost respect as a corporation. I will most likely get it, but will probably read reviews first only because of their lack of experience in the console market. Also, having a high end PC may make having the Steam Machine somewhat pointless...since they don't plan on making any exclusives for it.

Kedric likes this

I am not going to get the Steam Box due to already having a decent pc that i do plan on upgrading in the future.

It's interesting that Valve will make Linux the OS of the Steam box.  With Microsoft now neglecting windows as a gaming platform in order to push the XBox, I see Linux finally being the gaming OS of choice for PC gamers in the near future.

fzzywarbles likes this

Yeah, I may get a Steam Box, but I'm more interested in SteamOS for use with my PC. If its anything like I've been hearing, its going to make a serious difference for people's ability to play more demanding games.

Kedric and fzzywarbles like this

Maybe, if I see myself getting hardcore into steam. But, right now I just casually game on my old consoles. If they burn out. I will consider it.

I have a beast of a PC so i dont see any reason for me to get the steam box. also i dont really like steam all too much either lol

It's going to be an interesting option for gaming in the future. I am a big fan of Linux and think that it could very well be the future for PC gaming. That being said I am also a rare fan of Windows 8 (8.1). I am building a new system around it this next year personally but as always will have an Ubuntu partition ready to go.

What exactly is the deal with a steambox? Is it basically a console that you can play on your TV, that can play pc game purchases, like if I was to buy the humble bundles and such on steam, I'd be able to use the steam box to play them? And how good are the capabilities, if anyone knows? Like, would it be able to play stuff like Batman Arkham origins and CoD Ghosts, or would i need to upgrade it with extra money after buying it to get it to play stuff like that? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers any of that lol

Any One Considering Of Getting The Steam Box? Or At Least Your Thoughts Personally With All The New News About It I Am Most Certainly Getting It Most Definitely Because Of How You Can Upgrade It! Valve Is Good! I Hope I Put This In The Right Place :P Pardon Me If I Didnt!

Why do you capitalise each first letter?  In my opinion the steam box is just a compressed pc and there is no reason to get so long as I have enough space for a normal sized computer.

I will probably use the steam OS though if it does imporve perfomance.

I just like it because valve is trying to well change how the whole thing works they even said its about the consumer and cheap effective gaming which I haven't really seen any other company try to do. For example valves controller it might not be good it might be amazing but at least they are trying!

Why do you capitalise each first letter?  In my opinion the steam box is just a compressed pc and there is no reason to get so long as I have enough space for a normal sized computer.

I will probably use the steam OS though if it does imporve perfomance.

I just caped each letter because I thought it looked better :P

I have a beast of a computer already, so instead of buying Steam Machine, I intend to install Steam OS. I have already decided that Windows 7 is the last windows OS I will ever use. The though of Windows 8 make me puke. 

Another console in the market place interesting? I will watch with some interest. But no I wont buy it on release prefer to see how it develops and what sort of games it will have to offer gamers.  

Probably not, although I am considering getting their controller and build my own gaming rig for living room.

As for the SteamOS itself, not really keen on that, as it is just another Linux distribution, and I think there will not be that many games for Linux in near future. Plus, Windows 8 is a cool piece of software that is running all my games without a hitch (and I think it will look cool on big screen)

Steam Machine is basically a set of standards and Valve saying this device meets their standards to carry the Steam Machine logo. And that is the beauty of it. I can purchase a 200 USD Steam Machine from say ASUS next year (I don't know if they are going to make one just using them as an example)  to play Project Zomboid in the living room. Or a 1500 USD Version if I want a desktop replacement.

The thing is. Valve is not aiming to compete with gaming consoles in 2013. The goal is to replace them by 2018.

1. Using Project Zomboid as an example. The development team for that game saw the potential trend and are developing a very good console control system which in my opinion will work well with the Steam controller.
  2. While the PS4 and Xbone use custom features on the motherboard and unified memory. The core is still an X86 APU. X86 has been an always will be the best instruction set for gaming and developers.
  3. With standards in place. Games can be made with preset settings profiles to match those standards. While not as efficient as a single profile for consoles. The gap is narrower than in previous generations.
  4. Developers want to compete for the living room using PC games. Look at Egosoft which converted to massive and complete X games into console control compatable.
  5. Crowdfunding for gaming usually involves PC games. It is only getting bigger.

2018 in my opinion is when we will see the first major indicator that the PS4's generation will be the last console generation. I suspect that either Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony will make a Steam Machine. Why? because at that point there is no reason for a dedicated console.

Since my computer is very outdated and can definately be classified as low-end i'll definately consider getting myself a Steam Box. I don't have a lot of experience with building my own machine, nor do i have the money to buy a high-end already built PC. Therefore, the idea of pre-built and compact little machine to play the latest releases on is realy appealing to me, if they come out at a reasonable price that is!

I will probably download the Steam OS for my PC first. If I then like that and the reviews are good, I might consider it as a follow up for my current pc. But PS4 has higher priority, right now. 

I'm not really intrested since my pc is decent enough and regarding SteamOS i will wait and see how it will work out.

I'm definitely interested on it, but buying it is something I haven't considered yet. My PC isn't a PC gamer at all (it's an office PC), so one would guess that I should buy it, but then there's another issue: the price. Knowing how technological devices are sold in my country, most likely it will cost much more than in the US.

And then there's the issue of not knowing whether or not the console is good. So, yeah.

I have wanted a gaming pc for a while now but never had the space for it so I am really interested in finding out more on it. I will wait and see though cause there are a few things I am unclear on. How much will it cost? Can you play stuff like LoL and DOTA and Starcraft on it? Can you use other controllers or are you stuck with there weird one? Does it require anything other than the box to play games or will I have to mess with it? etc.