• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

The Seagull Milker

The Steam Box

57 posts in this topic

Right now, it just seems like a better alternative to consoles. It looks like a good transition between PC gaming and console gaming.

I dont really find the need to get a steam box. Why don't you buy a PC insteed? I won't get a Steam OS nor Steam Box i just don't find the need to get it. I find it useless.

I will likely get a Steam Box if streaming games from my high end PC works well and I like the Steam controller. I need more information before I'll make a final decision, but playing Civilization 5 on my 50" TV with a controller has me intrigued.

For me, my purchase of a Steam Box relies on a couple things:

1) Does the controller work? We can hear all we want from Valve about how well it works, but I think we need to have the gamer community itself be able to use it before I'm convinced.

2) What does the controller work with? I don't want to buy this if the controller will only be compatible with a handful of games.

3) The developers. If devs begin experimenting with the hardware and software, I'll be more interested. But if it's just the ability to stream games on a bigger screen, I can stick to my laptop. 

Thoughts?

me and my mate will be buying new hardware and upgrading our current tech, but will likely grab the box anyway

Why?

My Pc does everything it does and more. Also any laptop at the same price would be considerably more powerful.

I don't really have anything against Valve but come on give me a reason to purchase this thing. 

Well I will unfortunately not be getting one as I have a high end PC. I will, however, dual boot SteamOS and windows until gaming is gaming on widows dies off.

My laptop can play steam games, I just dont have enough money to buy anything. Since that is the case I definately wont buy the steambox, one reason because of money and the other because....well yeah I can play steam games without the need for a steam box .-.

I'll probably get a SSD for the Steam OS and then dual bot into that. Really excited about the Steam OS. Valve must have known that Microsoft was going to pull something; Good on them for their insight. 

I probably won't get a Steam Machine though. I already have a pretty high end gaming rig, so it'd be a bit redundant. I might try that controller of their's eventually however.

This looks really great and a new competitor could be a great addition to the console "war". I would probably rather upgrade PC, though, as it allows me to carry on playing old/classic games and mods that may not be compatible. I will definitely give the new OS a try though.

I won't be getting the SteamBox. Not any time soon, at least. I will, however, nab myself the SteamOS. It's said that it will enhance the gaming experience greatly. I want to confirm that for myself.

Plus, it's free, so why not? :D

I think the idea is great to simplify the gaming pc so more people can join in the fun. I will not get one as i can build my own pcs and already have a pretty good rig. I am really intersted in the steam os though because when it comes out all i will need is to install it on a machine i will build in my living room to get all the enjoyment of a console for much less with the streaming tech.

It looks pretty damn impressive. I might end up getting one since my laptop's GPU is starting to show it's age quick (and I just gotten it last Christmas).

Considering the massive amount of respect that I have towards Valve and their capabilities, it's definitely something I’m strongly considering. But still, I’ll wait for more information about the particulars of what it contains and such before making any final decision, but the initial information that's out already looks fairly intriguing.

I feel like the target audience consists of people that already have decent gaming PC's so I am not sure how well the steam box will do. I think most people with good PC's will probably pass on it but I am sure it might be nice for people who love steam but need a better computer.

I have a pretty decent PC so i'm probably not going to get one, however i'm interested in SteamOS and also thier controllers, which im probably gonna get =)

I like the design of it, but I'm getting a high end PC so no. Maybe when the prize drops

I like the design of it, but I'm getting a high end PC so no. Maybe when the prize drops

There isn't a price :P its going to be made by different people so we don't know the price

I'm getting SteamOS and Steam Controller for sure but since I quite recently upraged my computer I won't be bying Steam Machine anytime soon.

I'll surely get one. I have cancelled my PS4 pre-order for that reason.

Like a lot of here says, It will depend on what else it can offer than my PC. However, I do would like to own one. I am opt in for beta  :lol: I hope I get one. 

Just remember. The "point" of the Steambox is to let PC compete in the living room in the future. Valve is not dumb enough to try to compete with the value of traditional consoles in 2014. It is 2018 that will show if Valve made the right decision. As by then PC hardware at even the low range will be far better than that of the next gen consoles.

Getting PC games into the living room is going to be a slow and difficult process. And you have to convince the developers to do it right and not make dumbed down games like X Rebirth in an attempt to take shortcuts. The reward for doing that tho is ending the console advantage and thus most development can return to PC.

Fopr those that have a low end pc this would be a good choice but for those with high end gaming rigs I do not see the point in getting it.