• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

The Seagull Milker

The Steam Box

57 posts in this topic

Fopr those that have a low end pc this would be a good choice but for those with high end gaming rigs I do not see the point in getting it. 

You would purchase a Steam Machine if you wanted a PC designed for gaming in the living room. It is NOT designed to be a desktop replacement. It is designed to start the process of bringing PC games into the living room.

I might get the steam box depending on its price but the controller looks cool

I want the steam box to come out more because I want steam os.

With it using Linux, how many sompanies are going to recode their game to work with Linux though? 

I would love to see Steam Box and SteamOS to be new competitors in the markets. It's just so hard to see Linux based OS to become successor even in five years. I'm sure that there is a lot of people supporting this but there is just so many games out there that are not supported by Linux and the benefits of owning Steam Box feals like unnecessary for the most people.

Some Linux OSs that I have tested have felt kind of clumsy compared to Windows.  Just basic setting up accesories and all those little things you want to do before you actually start using your PC although Browsing has been always easy. I'm sure they will make it a lot better than we have seen so far but will Steam Box actually replace your PC or console or will it just be another device out there?

I'm not going to buy Steam Box until I see Joe's review of it and maybe some other reviews too.

I may get the Steam Box, but I'm more interested in SteamOS for use with my PC,but before anything I will wait for a review of the software before any final decisions

Just from what I've read in this thread, I think a lot of people have misconceptions about this device and it's purpose. This device can easily be a stand alone "console" or supplementary to a dedicated gaming PC. There are also a lot of people talking about buying or not buying a Steam Machine, when IMO you should be deciding wether or not to build one. That's one of the cooler things about this concept. You're not limited by your budget or specifications. You can build a machine to suit your specific needs.

I do have a high end PC, but am still planning to build a Steam Machine for my living room. With recent updates to the way Steam works, I can be using my account to play a game on my PC in my computer room, and if my wife or anyone else wanted to use my account they could do so to play a game on our Steam Machine in the living room. Much like Nvidias shield coupled with a Kepler GPU, you can stream content using the GPU processing power of your beast gaming machine to your modestly spec'd Steam Machine. It's incredible.

It's a phenominal idea and I personally think it will be revolutionary. It may take some time, but it will defeinitely change the gaming landscape.

The Seagull Milker likes this