• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

BSB

Skyrim: Challenge Yourself!

14 posts in this topic

Alright, so this stems off from the Self-Imposed Rules thread from earlier. 

In Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls titles it's quite easy to put on a restriction of skills or items used to improve the difficulty of gameplay and make the experience that more enjoyable. This post is aimed at putting forth some simple ideas of how to get a quick-fix of fun by starting a fresh game and the application of some mods to make it that much more satsifactory.

First, I'll start off with my concept of a quick challenge;

Lycanthropy: The Slaughter

In this you'll need a non-essential NPCs mod that will make every NPC, well, you guess it. From there either give yourself lycanthropy or activate your Beastform in any place that you like. Then - you guessed it, slaughter. See how long you can last in your lycanthropic form and how many characters you can kill before either reverting or dying at the hand of a guard or otherwise. If you have Dawnguard then you can make this even more of an attempt if you want to try and start with a fresh werewolf and see how far along you can progress your perk tree in one go. 

Next is the Woodsman.

The Woodsman Challenge - Complete the main questline with these limitations:

• Heal with only food and drink
  • No spells (Enchanting is okay)
  • Can only use tools/hunting gear as weapons: Iron Dagger, woodsman's axe, pickaxe, fists and hunting bows
  • Can equip from Hide to Studded armor & Shields, or run around in peasant's clothes because you're a badass

I've heard and seen good things about the "Live Another Life" mod, and that could certainly be utilized with this challenge as well.

The Huntsman

Like the Woodsman, you're restricted to using only food and drink to heal. The items you're restricted to are Leather and Scale, with weapons being daggers and bows. The weaker the better. Your only allowed companion is either a war-hound or husky, other than that you're restricted from companions. It's recommended that you follow through with a realistic pursuit in terms of mods; Hypothermia, food requirements, sleep. Those kind. On top of this you may want a mod that adjusts the price of pelts and animal parts, as well as upgrades the health benefits from consuming such.

The Conjurer:

This one sounds rather straight-forward, use only Conjured creatures and weapons to kill. With this you can choose to use to use a few mods that take away the restriction on how many creatures you can have, how long they persist, and the damage that they do if you prefer. Aside from that you may also use a mod to buff your mana regen slightly if you so desire. But remember, kill only with what you pulled from thin air.

The Paladin of the Eight: 

The Knight of the Eight is a do-gooder through and through. He's also a Knight - so heavy armor, shield and swords (Greatswords and Single Blade) are allowed. You may use healing magic and alteration magic, nothing else. If it does not have a morally good outcome from the start, you cannot partake in the quest - and if you become a Vampire or Lycan, you must immediately seek redemption.

The Warrior Smith

As a Blacksmith there's only a few things you need in life - ore, a hammer, a bit of leather, and some time. You buy nothing that you can't make yourself - that means no armor, no weapons. You're inhibited from buying any potions or magical items as well. Any items that you receive from killing are to be sold unless you choose to upgrade them one time. (Realistically these items wouldn't all fit you immediately.)

Little Greybeard, the Little... Dovah-Keen

The Little Dovah's become keen to dragonshouts. You are only permitted to have conversations with all beings and you may not raise a hand to them in assault. A shield is permitted along with whatever light-armor you wish. Beside that no magic or items are allowed. 

These are but a few ideas both pulled from my mind and from a few sites, I can't wait to hear what you folk will go for or what ideas you have yourselves! Fire away my friends! 

Submitted Below:

I have a few ideas for some interesting challenges, tell me what you think

The Aldmeri Challenge: You can only play as a High Elf, a Wood Elf, and a Khajiit. Only take followers of the same races I stated. Never do a quest that harms the Dominion ( so that means no main quest ). Always do quests that help the Dominion or weaken it's enemies. Kill any Stormcloak or Imperial troops in the wilderness. Mainly sell to the races in the Dominion, like the Khajiit caravans, Wood Elf hunter, etc. Only wear Elven, hide, fur, Thalmor robes, mage robes, or scale armours, as these are mainly worn by High and Wood Elves

The Thief Challenge: You have to join the Thieves Guild. The beat the story line and be Guild Master. After becoming member, you have to wear the guild armor, and then guild master armor. Any rings and amulets are fine. Only use dagger and bows. Use poison a lot, potions are able to use. The main thing is you can't buy, you can defiantly can sell. Keep all money, and see how much you can make. Steal things from shops, as most shops refill on shelf items in a few days.    

The Brawler:

No shirt, no shoes.

Fucking punch everything.

( I've done that a few times, got the living hell beaten out of me for doing it but I've done it. )

I did something like this one time, it added a nice new challenge to the game:

The Shaman

Must have a shield equipped at all times, you can only use maces as your weapon. The only way you're allowed to heal is through magic. Also, you can only use mage robes or clothing, nothing that gives armor.

That sparks me an idea for a more Warcraft-Based Shaman.

The Warcraft Shaman:

You must be an Orc, your weapons may only consist of one-handed maces, axes, or destruction magic. You are allowed to use a shield. Healing magic along with conjuration are also allowed. Your armor may only consist of clothing to scale mail, nothing more. As an Orc Shaman you must join your people and try to become a part of them. Your main goals are to correct anything that upsets the balance of the land. That means any and all means you will kill ice wraithes, any atronachs you did not create yourself, all Dremora, all Dragons, and all creatures of a magical nature that seem out of place in the world.

Lightning is your friend.

Here's one I just came up with:
The Witcher Challenge:  You may not take any quests from the nobility of Skyrim (barring those of the main quest), participate in the civil war, accept the title of Thane in any hold, or buy a house anywhere (for modders, you can't use modded houses, either). You must, however, accept all quests to hunt monsters (and dragons, not really part of a Witcher's job description, but this is Skyrim we're talking about). Your primary weapons are to be a silver (for monsters) and a steel (for humans) longsword/broadsword. Both can be enchanted and improved. You must use light armor/clothing. Make sure to abuse potions!

Not sure how fun that'd be, but it's an interesting roleplay scenario, nonetheless. Maybe add in the random start, character creation overhaul, and frostfall mods for extra fun!

BSB likes this

Oh nice! Good plan bro, I may be compelled to take on my challenge again since it's been posted twice now.

The Conjurer:

This one sounds rather straight-forward, use only Conjured creatures and weapons to kill. With this you can choose to use to use a few mods that take away the restriction on how many creatures you can have, how long they persist, and the damage that they do if you prefer. Aside from that you may also use a mod to buff your mana regen slightly if you so desire. But remember, kill only with what you pulled from thin air.

I guess I indirectly already did this one with my ranger type... Bound weapons are my favorite because they just feel badass...and prevent inventory space from being crapped up. SkyUI is extremely useful for this too, thanks to their 'active effects' timer displays.

Here's one I just came up with:

The Witcher Challenge:  You may not take any quests from the nobility of Skyrim (barring those of the main quest), participate in the civil war, accept the title of Thane in any hold, or buy a house anywhere (for modders, you can't use modded houses, either). You must, however, accept all quests to hunt monsters (and dragons, not really part of a Witcher's job description, but this is Skyrim we're talking about). Your primary weapons are to be a silver (for monsters) and a steel (for humans) longsword/broadsword. Both can be enchanted and improved. You must use light armor/clothing. Make sure to abuse potions!

Not sure how fun that'd be, but it's an interesting roleplay scenario, nonetheless. Maybe add in the random start, character creation overhaul, and frostfall mods for extra fun!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11421&searchtext=

For that Light Armor part, here's a mod for his actual set transfered to Skyrim.

Edit: I've apparently been trying to go through too many mods in Skyrim on the Workshop... I was just Forbidden from viewing and I can't get back to where I was now. Damn. All because I wanted to play the game, haha.

I love the idea of these challenges but I back myself into a corner in games like Skyrim.

I need "hardcore" mods to add difficulty to my game due to the mods I use.

I'm particular about my weapons and armour.

Oh wait, hey BSB, should the Conjurer challenge include gear/objects from the Atronoch forge? It would make sense as you need master conjuration anyway to get the most out of it.

I have a few ideas for some interesting challenges, tell me what you think

The Aldmeri Challenge: You can only play as a High Elf, a Wood Elf, and a Khajiit. Only take followers of the same races I stated. Never do a quest that harms the Dominion ( so that means no main quest ). Always do quests that help the Dominion or weaken it's enemies. Kill any Stormcloak or Imperial troops in the wilderness. Mainly sell to the races in the Dominion, like the Khajiit caravans, Wood Elf hunter, etc. Only wear Elven, hide, fur, Thalmor robes, mage robes, or scale armours, as these are mainly worn by High and Wood Elves

The Thief Challenge: You have to join the Thieves Guild. The beat the story line and be Guild Master. After becoming member, you have to wear the guild armor, and then guild master armor. Any rings and amulets are fine. Only use dagger and bows. Use poison a lot, potions are able to use. The main thing is you can't buy, you can defiantly can sell. Keep all money, and see how much you can make. Steal things from shops, as most shops refill on shelf items in a few days.    

The Shaman

Must have a shield equipped at all times, you can only use maces as your weapon. The only way you're allowed to heal is through magic. Also, you can only use mage robes or clothing, nothing that gives armor.

The Brawler.

No shirt, no shoes.

Fucking punch everything.

Hehe, Choosing Khajiit for that one for sure.

The Shaman

So just natural Magicka regen, no Magicka potions?

Speed lvl to lvl 80+ then reset all skills to 15. You can not use anything you make from blacksmithing or alchemy, and you can not buy weapons/armor from the shop.

The only challenge in Skyrim I found was being able to play it more than 30 minutes and not be completely bored to death.

I've taken the time to add your ideas to the main list up there, but on point to what you guys said;

Jarl, badass. I love the ideas and now you're making me wish I could play Skyrim twice at the same time. Because now I'm torn as to what playthrough I want to do first, haha. Caedo, yeah. As soon as you can use the Atronach forge it would be wise to do so. I completely forgot about that thing earlier, haha.  Insanitybreach, yeah now you've gone and done it. Now I want to go and play my WoW shaman on top of playing one in Skyrim too. 

Also, this is what I'm expecting out of the Brawler run. 1FANqPF.gif