• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Insanitybreach

Building a Gaming PC

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I recently made a post asking for advice on buying a gaming laptop, but after putting thought into it, I think I would be better off building a gaming PC.

Now, I've never built a PC before, and so far I've only read this article http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-600-and-1200. I'm leaning in the direction of building something a little bit over their 600$ rig (maybe bump up the graphics card) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Good guides, where to buy parts from, what companies to avoid buying from?

Thanks!

First thing you gotta know is go with Intel when it comes to a processor, you always get more bang in overall performance. Some people will argue with that, but the benchmarks are there to prove it. Yea you can do AMD for a cheaper but still powerful set, but I highly recommend you go up in price and go with Intel. Well that's my two cents.

Well like the article you posted on here. Are you looking for a more budget pc or what? Whats your range?

OK, there's a bit to go over for this. First find a site for you parts. I recommend Newegg.com. It has deals frequently and I personally have had a very positive experience with it. You also need to set yourself a budget. A high end rig will likely run you $2000-$3500 depending on what parts you get. Look at each part's specs as you find them to ensure they are compatible with each other.

I could go on and on this subject (in fact I nearly did), but look up Newegg.com's "How to Build a Computer " Series on Youtube. It will help you immensely. If you have any more questions you can use Google, post here, or message me. I'd be happy to help introduce you to the joys of building your own computer.

First thing you should know is that there will be those people who say "always go Intel, it's always better" which of course is factually incorrect if you are building a gaming rig and look at gaming benchmarks. Second, http://pcpartpicker.com/ has nearly every part and has the prices from various sites so you can find the best deal. Know what you want to do with your PC (gaming, productivity, etc.), know which peripherals you need, set yourself a budget.

You can get good computers at newegg, reviewed by consumers too. They come premade or in parts I heard, so you can build one if you want to try.

Their Black Friday and cyber Monday deals where amazing, an ASUS computer worth 1200 was like 940 and it had a combo deal for a monitor. Right now its cybermonday week, still great deals. If you can't do it just yet ik they'll have a Christmas week sale.

Well like the article you posted on here. Are you looking for a more budget pc or what? Whats your range?

Well, I'll probably go a little over what the 600$ rig has, so my budget is around 650-700.

OK, there's a bit to go over for this. First find a site for you parts. I recommend Newegg.com. It has deals frequently and I personally have had a very positive experience with it. You also need to set yourself a budget. A high end rig will likely run you $2000-$3500 depending on what parts you get. Look at each part's specs as you find them to ensure they are compatible with each other.

I could go on and on this subject (in fact I nearly did), but look up Newegg.com's "How to Build a Computer " Series on Youtube. It will help you immensely. If you have any more questions you can use Google, post here, or message me. I'd be happy to help introduce you to the joys of building your own computer.

I don't really intend to build something quite that pricy, as whatever I build no matter what price range will probably blow what I'm currently using out of the water in terms of gaming power. (My graphics card isn't supported by Nvidia anymore. It's not even listed on their website :unsure: ) I have looked around Newegg before, and it's what a friend of mine uses so they are most likely what I'll be buying from.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2fUD0

These are the main components of what I just purchased during the black friday sales.

Obviously you can change the case and other things like the fan to whatever you prefer or remove components you may not need or want (like the ssd). Total it's only 547 dollars. With a normal 1tb hard drive it might go up to 600 dollars or a bit over. You obviously need a video card (I had a decent one that apparently they don't sell anymore so I didn't need to buy one) which will be around 100-150 dollars for a good one, something like the radeon hd 7870 for 140 dollars, or if you want an nvidia card the geforce gtx 650 ti is solid at 120 dollars, or the radeon hd 7750/7770 around 80-120 dollars. All of these cards are better than mine and I can run practically anything at max settings.

If you also need a monitor and power supply that might drive up the price another 100-200 or so dollars. So total I'd say you're looking at around your price range if not a bit higher.

Last note, if you do go with the case just be aware that it's GIANT. Literally GIANT. It is probably the biggest case I've ever seen. I do love it but if size is an issue that's something to think about. I also found the fan I purchased slightly annoying and difficult to install so you may need to look at videos or ask for help. Most of the videos I looked at people didn't seem to really have much of an issue so it may just be me.