• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

IrishRogue

How to Mod Fallout 3?

30 posts in this topic

I got a mod file from Nexus Mods and I don't know where to put the mod files into the Fallout 3 folder. Could somebody help me figure this out please?

Usually there's a readme file with it. Read that.

If it hasn't, it's usually this; "Put the files in your Data folder in your Fallout 3 folder".

For more information, I'd say to download something random of fallout nexus and follow that instruction.

You might need to download the Nexus mod manager. This program really helps in automatically installing all mods you download.

Download Nexus Mod Manager. If you aren't well versed in modding then use that, if you try to do it manually you may "break" something.

Thanks everyone, I'll try my best with the knowledge gained here. Also does Nexus like to throws fits every once in a while because it's being very finicky.

Which mod is it?

Also, the nexus is going through a lot of changes right now.

Yeah it does run badly some times, on occasion it's a nightmare to download a mod from.

Nexus has a ton of traffic and gets overwhelmed. All depends on how many are uploading/downloading at a time.

If you have any problems with mod manager then to do it manually you will need 7zip (free program).

To install them manually you need to extract the mod folder to your installation file which, on Steam, would be My Computer, program files(x86), Steam, Steamapps, Common, Fallout 3 and Data.

Mod manager makes it easier.

If you plan on using a lot of mods then Archive Invalidation, Script Extender, BOSS and F3Edit.

Also, remember to use multiple saves and save often. Fallout 3 has some issues with mods and a save file can break quite easily. Never just use a single save if you plan on modding. 

Well I got the mod on the Nexus Mod Manager activated but now I don't know how to activate it in game. Also I had 7zip installed a while back for TF2 and I downloaded the ArchiveInvalidation not too long ago.

It will activate automatically once it's installed buddy.

If you check out the installed mods section on Mod Manager it should have a little tick box next to it. That "should" automatically tick when it's installed if not just click on it.

And that is it.

Installing mods is fairly straight forward until you use multiple mods and have to get them to work nicely with each other.

I use 201 mods in Fallout 3, 209 in New Vegas and 238 in Skyrim. Now those were fun to try and sort out. Takes me around 48 hours from start to finish before I can actually play the damn game.

Curse my mod addiction.

Glaice likes this

Well I got the mod on the Nexus Mod Manager activated but now I don't know how to activate it in game. Also I had 7zip installed a while back for TF2 and I downloaded the ArchiveInvalidation not too long ago.

Did you check off the mod on the plugin tab? It should be activated in the game as well.

Did you check off the mod on the plugin tab? It should be activated in the game as well.

No I haven't done that, how do I get it into the plugin tab?

check_zpsde0f7d8a.png

Sorry if I'm driving you nuts, but I don't have it in the plug-in side, its still on the mod side and I don't know how to make it a plug-in.

Sorry if I'm driving you nuts, but I don't have it in the plug-in side, its still on the mod side and I don't know how to make it a plug-in.

Can you not see/click the plug-in tab? I've never used the nmm for fallout 3 (I always used FMM), but I'd assume it is the same.

Edit: If you can provide a screen cap, it might help.

If you click on the mod in the mods section there are some buttons on the left hand side.

Hit the activate one.

Edit - You're not driving us crazy bud, we're here to help. 

Can you not see/click the plug-in tab? I've never used the nmm for fallout 3 (I always used FMM), but I'd assume it is the same.

No I can see and click it I just can't bring mods over to it.

If you click on the mod in the mods section there are some buttons on the left hand side.

Hit the install one.

It's installed I just can't make it a plugin, and again sorry if I'm driving everyone nuts.

No I can see and click it I just can't bring mods over to it.

If it is a texture mod, it wont have an esp that you need to click. It should be running in the game so long as you activated it on the mod side.

The plug-in side only deals with things that are added to the game. If your mod only replaces something already in another game/mod, it wont have an esp.

What mod is it fella?

Some mods like texture replacers and some body mods don't turn into plugins. Those activate as soon as you install them.

Just to clarify though, in the mods section of your mod manager, does your mod have a green tick next to it?

What mod is it fella?

Some mods like texture replacers and some body mods don't turn into plugins. Those activate as soon as you install them.

Just to clarify though, in the mods section of your mod manager, does your mod have a green tick next to it?

If it does have a green check to it, and it is not in the game, that means that the mod is most likely not installed correctly. 

I'd have to know what the zip file contains to know how to set it up for you.

Its a texture mod that fixes the NPCs facial and body texture and what have you. So like you guys are saying it should activate as soon as its installed which it is. With that said thanks everybody, I appreciate greatly!

Ahh yeah, that won't be a plug in buddy.

It should be in the game now but as Spades said, if it doesn't work then link the mod and one of us should be able to sort it out for you.

But you should be good to go.

It's all smooth sailing, again, thanks everybody!

if you get stuck again just look up "Gophersvids" on youtube

by far the best modding tutorials on the internet