• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Glaice

Gamestop and your personal thoughts/experiences

15 posts in this topic

What sort of opinions does the AJSA have about Gamestop, especially personal experience? For myself, I never really had any issues with the store near me with the sole exception that it only has about a small rack for PC games. It used to be a full small rack but only one side has PC games, the rest of the store is console games, guides and hardware.

Not the store for me if I want something, I'll go to my local Play N Trade instead because they also specialize in older console systems as old as the Atari 2600 as well as modern systems and the employees don't have that "corporate" vibe that Gamestop has.

Never used Gamestop, in fact I didn't we had it in the UK until a couple of months ago.

We have GAME and had Gamestation that were similar but, until I started with digital downloads, I always used a little store we had in my old town and Amazon.

I for one have never had a issue with my Gamestop, in fact it's probably the best store to buy games from here besides going through online of course.

The gamestop near my house isn't too bad. Although, I had one instance a while back where they felt the need to shrink wrap a "new" PC game. Not that big of a deal but it felt unnecessary since I saw them take the disk and booklet out of the drawer and put it in the game box I took to the counter. oh and they didn't even unwrap the cases content beforehand (you know, how they take the case contents out and shrink wrap the game and booklet together and put it behind the counter to prevent theft). Other than their BS trade in values, gamestop is just another store. 

Personally I love GameStop. Of course they some issues that a lot of people complain about like employees that aren't sufficiently knowledgeable and the ever persistent underpaying for trade-ins and so on but I've personally yet to meet an employee who wasn't able to answer my question and I never trade in unless there's a special going on so I usually find myself getting at least 30 dollars. You can argue that for the value of the stuff I turn in that 30 dollars is way too little but they are a business and yeah you'd be right but it's usually enough to add something decent to the ever growing, then shrinking, then growing once again, collection. 

The store near me is okay. The guys working there are cool and they sell pretty good games. My experience tells me however that the games are more expensive than average.

Well, GS tend to be more expensive but there the only option outside of Amazon since the local mom & pop store closed down[which had zero tax on software].

Never had a problem with them.

Pretty much the biggest retail shop here in Finland. They have sometimes nice discounts, but most of the times the prices are surprisingly high. Sometimes used copies might cost more than a new one, and sometimes used copy might cost the same as new one. I only assume they just don't bother on putting new price tags for some of the games.

In terms of customer service, they are one of the finest here. The problem is that there isn't enough competing retailers, so they can keep the prices somewhat high (usually). We do have other stores, but most of those have only one or two shops around the central area.

Like Gomly, I have a GAME store nearby, which is pretty good.  The staff are helpful, they have a good attitude and even don't mind a chat.  I would love to see GAME take a bigger bite out of the PC market i.e start selling keyboards, mice, maybe components?

My only problem with them is the prompt phasing out of retro games and consoles... even PS2 games are no longer available.  Also, it would be nice if they sold sony station cash cards... the only useful cards for me are GW2 gem and LOTRO turbine cards (along with other things I never buy).

I've only been in a fight there three times since last Thursday, so it's a more peaceful place than the last stores I've been to. The only problem I have with the place is the lack of hot girls to shamelessly hit on and subsequently slapped.

I used to work in GAME and didn't mind chatting to people about games (obviously) and PC builds. I agree with Ysnar, I would like to see them special a bit in games a bit more. Maybe sell pc's and components, the upcoming steam machines! At the minute they seem to be selling less and less and really on the big releases every now and again. 

Before I left GAME and they went bust in Ireland they started selling all kinds of crappy tat! kids teddies, gimmicky toys and other such shit! They need less of that kind of pound shop stuff and start selling proper games. Maybe some table top games as well and go back to being a proper game shop

I have only every bought one thing in gamestop in Dublin and the guy behind the counter had no idea, he was a senior sales assistant and seemed to come from a supermarket or something because he had no idea of games. Just there to manage the store really. 

But then that is my sole experience from the one visit I had so I can't say much. 

I normally get stuff digitally now or from amazon

Ysnar likes this

My relationship with Gamestop is a weird one. On the one hand I've only had one instance where I had to give a busted game back and got a fully functional version in return so they really have no negative marks on my books. On the other I usually buy used games from a state local store called Disc Replay which has always given me good as new games at a lower cost than what Gamestop has. So while I don't hate Gamestop and would go there to shop, I can't say I wouldn't rather go to Disc Replay instead.

I have nothing against PeasantShop GameStop. I just have no reason to shop there.

Glaice likes this

My experience with Gamestop has been mainly good. I may be biased as I had my school internship at one, if I go and buy games physically it is almost always from that one store as I tend to view it as 'my store'.

The reason I prefer that store is due to the store manager who sadly do not work there anymore was a great guy, a blast to talk to. Also for some other minor reasons such as they place their games alphabetically which is something the Game store I sometimes shop at do not which makes it a tad annoying to find what I am looking for.