• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Start Your Gaming Channel

29 posts in this topic

I hope this is the right place to post this so that the thread doesn't get removed.

So I had a Youtube channel that was slowly growing, but sadly I quit for few personal reasons and then few weeks later my PC broke down as I was about to revive the channel, so now I decided to post a thread to help you create your own gaming channel, if you are interested in that. I posted this thread also once on a old forum where I was so I will just copy it, update it a little and that's it.^^

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LET'S GET STARTED

So the first thing you want to do of course, is get a catchy name that suits your type of videos. If you do montages go for some name that suits and sounds bad ass or if you wish to do commentaries, go for a name that will suit your style of commentaries; Funny, tutorials, walkthroughs etc

REMEMBER: Take your time with your YT channel name because you want it to be catchy and you want it for YOU to like it. I once made a mistake and just disliked my channel name and decided to start a new one just because I didn't like the channel name I had. I lost 150 subscribers because of that....BAD MOVE!

Second thing to do is setup your channel and that means add description, make yourself a logo and anything else to make it attractive and suit your style. If you are not good in Photoshop, try out GIMP. It has less options, but yet has lots of options just like PS, but they are just simpler to use. I started out with GIMP and moved to Photoshop a year later. GIMP is a great way to start, just google it and download it...it's free!

Once you have done that, you are ready to play and record!

Here is a list of software to record your gameplay, but these ones are NOT free.

1. FRAPS
2. Mirillis Action
3. Bandicam
4. DxTory

-Remember, there are more, but these are some which are pretty popular.

I know one FREE recording AND livestreaming software and it's "Free Broadcast Software".
Just google it or visit 
www.obsproject.com

I tried it out and it works great for recording my footage and for livestreaming on Twitch.
Some of the paid software above offer you a free trial version so make sure you check them all out. smile.png
But remember that recording your gameplay takes CPU power and can lower your frames per second if you are recording directly to your gaming PC, but that's only if your PC doesn't meet the necessary requirements.

Now we have your recording software setup, your channel setup AND we even have a nice photo editing software for you and now let's move to your editing software.

Now this is something to take slowly. If you are new to video editing, you can go with Windows Movie Maker which is free, but has very limited options and is user-friendly. I skipped it just because I knew it doesn't have the tools I need and is very limited and if you wish to work on your videos and channel for long time, you probably want to move to something more advanced so here is a list.

1. Like I said, you can try out Windows Movie Maker which is FREE!

2. Sony Vegas Pro is probably my favorite and has all the tools I need. It's advanced and has a little learning curve, but if you try using it and look at some tutorials on Youtube, you will catch the drift quickly.

3. Adobe Premiere is like Sony Vegas, but I think it offers even more features, but is a little more complicated to use than Sony Vegas, especially if you never worked on ANY video editing software before. Adobe offers really cool editing features, but they take some time to get used to.

4. If you wish to have fancy effects or make awesome looking montages, you can try out Adobe After Effects which offers AWESOME features and effects, but also takes some time to get used to it and isn't really easy-to-use for people new to editing.

Now these are 4 video editing software that are probably the most popular, but they are pretty expensive. There is lots more free editing software which you can find for free so just Google for it.^^

Personally, I started out imminently with Sony Vegas Pro simply because it offers all the tools I need for my type of videos and that is commentaries. It is very simple to use once you get used to it and you will probably get used to it quickly, so just practice and watch some tutorials on Youtube. smile.png

If you wish to make commentaries, then all you just need on top of the rest of the stuff I listed is a microphone. If you wish to record your voice and put it in your gameplay video, just record it using either Windows Voice Recorder or Audacity. Audacity offers great voice quality, you can even play with it and remove any background noise if your mic is not the top quality and you can simply then convert it to any audio file you want to.
Now we have your channel, photo editing software, gameplay recording software AND video editing software all setup and listed so now it's your turn to take your pick, do some research on which will suit you the best and get started.

If you are completely new to video editing, it will be a little hard at the beginning I guess and it will take you some time to get used to your software, but once you are through that phase, then it will all just depend on your imagination. Imagination will be your only limit. smile.png 

Ysnar, MrMadakey, Platina32 and 1 other like this

Thanks a lot for this info, even though I made your first mistake (with the name, my channel is linked in my sig) do you suggest that I make a new channel with a proper name now? Or is it too late?

Also, can you recommend any specific guides for Vegas pro and after effects that you consider to be more thorough than others?

Apex Spartan likes this

Thanks a lot for this info, even though I made your first mistake (with the name, my channel is linked in my sig) do you suggest that I make a new channel with a proper name now? Or is it too late?

Also, can you recommend any specific guides for Vegas pro and after effects that you consider to be more thorough than others?

I don't think you should worry about your name. Luckily, since that infamous Youtube and Google+ mix up, you can now change your channel name without actually abandoning your old channel and making a new one. Personally I wouldn't recommend you to make a new channel. Your name looks fine, but however, if you want a different one, make a new channel, if you haven't already got any videos on your current one. This is something you have to decide for yourself, the name that you choose for your channel is your personal choice. If you like your current name, keep the channel with the same name. =D

As for some guides...hmmm...let me see.

I remember when I started with Sony Vegas, all I did was make videos and watch tutorials on Youtube. I recommend you braproductions, alexyoumoney and few others for Sony Vegas. Best thing you do is Youtube, "sony vegas basics" or "sony vegas beginner tutorials". There is many good tutorials out there, I don't have a favorite. I just watched tutorials with most views and positive feedback. I suggest you the same approach for After Effects. But my tip is, you will learn the best the more you use the software. =D

If you feel up to it, take some random clips you recorded and put them in Sony Vegas and play with them. Once you get used to Sony Vegas and you will quickly, if you use it often, you will have no problem making great content. If you want to just upload raw gameplays, gameplays with commentaries then I see no reason to ignore Sony Vegas. It's so simple, yet has everything you need. However, if you want sick edits like montages or anything, go for After Effects, but it's going to take some time to get used to it. It's a little more complicated than Vegas. ^^

BTW: You can change your channel name without making a new one. Just go to settings on Youtube and you should see an option there somewhere. You don't need to make a new channel. If you can't find the option, Google for it. I changed my name few times, but I forgot how lol

Ysnar likes this

If I got money to burn over the summer I'll start it.

Yeah money is kind of the only issue, but there are some free software for recording/editing, if you are up for them. =P

It's a good way to start as well, but best to do is take your time and start whenever you feel like you are ready. 

If I started a channel i'd call it BOOBS N BEER.

People will always look if they get a promise of boobs and beer.

good post 

making a channel is easy to do

you just have to push yourself to create stuff people want to see and be consistent on uploads.

Ysnar likes this

If I started a channel i'd call it BOOBS N BEER.

People will always look if they get a promise of boobs and beer.

Good point, you would become the most subbed Youtuber with that name. 

good post 

making a channel is easy to do

you just have to push yourself to create stuff people want to see and be consistent on uploads.

Yeah, in the end it's all about the content and regular uploads. 

I've been thinking about starting one, but then I just say, "Nah, fuck it."

I've been thinking about starting one, but then I just say, "Nah, fuck it."

It can be fun, but then it's also tons of work. More subs you get, the more you need to work on the channel.

I dont mind working hard on a channel I just need a good name and some mony to get started. Thanks for the info this really helped

I dont mind working hard on a channel I just need a good name and some mony to get started. Thanks for the info this really helped

Yeah and there is no point in hurrying either. It's not like YT is going anywhere. 

And you are welcome. =)

Why don't we do something like trollarch office? In other words, we have 1 AJSA fan channel with multiple contributors?

Why don't we do something like trollarch office? In other words, we have 1 AJSA fan channel with multiple contributors?

That would be a great idea. It would be a lot easier to maintain such a channel and a lot easier to advertise...so in other words, it would be like a community channel.

If you guys are willing to start that, I might be able to give you a hand. I could design banners and such, but without my PC now because my MOBO is dead, I can't do much. Maybe I could only get Photoshop working on my laptop.

If you would be willing to do it, I can give you a hand designing a banner for the channel or a few other things. My Photoshop knowledge is OK. I can't say I could do a GREAT job. Here is some work on PS I did for myself and for some friends just so that you get an average idea of my PS skills.

bwy5.jpg

imoj.png

0k0r.png

k3w1.png

This was some kind of community thing for BF4. My first dog tag I designed, but I did more than just that one. I can't find the others.

dcqm.jpg

This was one of my many banners for my channel...nothing too fancy

fbbanners.jpg

1385723_1421279024756672_1054394769_n.jp

I guess I'm about average in PS. If you know someone who is more than average in PS use them, but I'm willing to give you a hand, if you wish to open a community channel...or if someone wants to open their channel, contact me and I will make you a banner/avatar.

My MOBO is down and I'm bored so dedicating some time to PS wouldn't be a bad idea. And of course...I'm doing it for free =D

Awesome banners! Too bad i cant like them more than once...

Imo, we need to standardized intro/outro video sequences first with links to Angry Joe's main channel.

If this goes through, then I'd rather delete my channel and link it to the community one... My original intention was to chronicle great moments and events... Putting up my vids up in the community channel would help out a lot because I don't have the time to make a regular stream of content. Once a few banners have been designed, I can forward this to some of the council members so that at least they can be in the loop.

Also, we should also make a poll and see how many are interested in taking part in this.

Apex Spartan likes this

Awesome banners! Too bad i cant like them once...

Imo, we need to standardized intro/outro video sequences first with links to Angry Joe's main channel.

If this goes through, then I'd rather delete my channel and link it to the community one... My original intention was to chronicle great moments and events... Putting up my vids up in the community channel would help out a lot because I don't have the time to make a regular stream of content. Once a few banners have been designed, I can forward this to some of the council members so that at least they can be in the loop.

Also, we should also make a poll and see how many are interested in taking part in this.

That would be a great idea. I would be more than willing to lend a hand on this project. I think at the beginning it would be a lot of work, but before going into intros/outros, I would suggest spending some more time on the channel's schematics. What kind of content would it be?

If I may toss my coin in this, I would suggest making it like a community channel, making different kinds of content (commentaries, funtages, even some reviews or a bunch of random content, spotlights). If we had multiple contributors and video editors on the channel and anyone who can make videos of any kind, could have access to the channel and upload. The channel would need an uploading schedule, make a list of people who have access to the channel...if you would be willing to come up with that, I would suggest you make a PM and add people you think would be interested in this. So like you said, open a POLL first and see how many people would be willing to lend a hand. Those who reply, "I wanna help" need to specify what they can help with; advertising, video editing, commentaries etc. 

This would be an awesome, but also a bit of a massive project...it would require quiet some work, but if you are willing to go for it, you have my vote and my help. Like I said, I can't do much, but  I think I could at least get photoshop working on my laptop until I fix my PC. Once I get my PC fixed, I would be willing to contribute more to the channel, use my YT knowledge I acquired in last 2 years to produce some commentaries on games or hell, we could even invite guests to some of our "shows". This would be a great idea, but a massive undertaking, but with the right people, it could be highly succesfull. Hell, if all would go well, maybe even Joe would be willing to make a quick video about it...after all, this is his community, right? He would probably support projects from his fellow minions. 

I had something like that in mind I.e diverse content consisting of playthroughs, montages, commentaries, parodies... Basically what each person wants to do and does best. As for the video upload schedule, we could initially upload 25-50 videos that were already uploaded by others and then level off with an upload every other day (in a general, interchangeable schedule e.g Montage Mondays), even if we have 10+ videos fully edited and ready for upload, we should space them out to avoid periods of inactivity.

In terms of editing, I think that videos should be edited to the best of their ability, and then uploaded to an sharing service like drop box, so editors can perform their editing magiks and then upload them to YouTube.

In the comments of each video, there would be a link to Angry Joes channel, the content makers channel (if it exists, otherwise his forum name) and a link to the editor(s) channel(s).

I'll make the poll later today.

I agree. You can create a poll and then once you know which people are willing to help, you can create a PM and talk in details about the channel...further in detail about how it's going to work, content, who will have access to the channel and so on.

Ysnar likes this

I think that it's an awesome idea.  I actually regularly record my gameplay footage just in case something really badass or hilarious happens I can always have it.
I would love to help but I don't really know anything about making your own channel or even where to start.  Also unfortunately I'm not good artistically but if you guys need help I'll be glad to help.  Also what would you guys recommend for recording commentary because all I have is a headset.

Apex Spartan and Ysnar like this

I think that it's an awesome idea.  I actually regularly record my gameplay footage just in case something really badass or hilarious happens I can always have it.

I would love to help but I don't really know anything about making your own channel or even where to start.  Also unfortunately I'm not good artistically but if you guys need help I'll be glad to help.  Also what would you guys recommend for recording commentary because all I have is a headset.

Ysnar is going to open a poll thread in the General disucussion so keep your eyes opened there if you wish to help out with the channel. If you are not good aritsically, I'm sure something can be found for you. For recording a commentary, there is nothing you need, but a microphone and a recording software. There is Windows Recorder which should be included in Win7 and Win8 or you can download Audacity. It's for recording voices, editing them and many other features for editing audio files. It's simple and free to use. =)

mic 70 

cap card 150 or more

thats it lol