• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Scohui

Deadspace free on origin right now!

48 posts in this topic

yes-free-stuff-thumb.jpg

Think about it Shepard, since EA is doing this On The House promotion, we would get free Mass Effect in the future. ;)

Sonny and johnythehero like this

Just wondering, does this version of Dead Space still have SecuROM on it?

Edit : Just found this among the small print :(

LqdPkAQ.jpg

Oh my.

=======D~~~~~

))

Already got it in the bundle at the end of August last year.

As for DRM - couldn't give less of a fuck about it. I buy games depending on if they are worth my time, not if they have or have not DRM. I can understand the dissatisfaction with 'always online' bollocks, but for the most part you can play games offline if you just can't be bothered to keep an active internet connection.

i passed a ton of games because they had DRM/Always on/Account restriction. No matter if it is Steam, GfWl, Uplay, Rockstar social Club, Origin, Impulse or Battlenet. I started to pass by games way back since Half- Life 2 came out because of the online activation and STEAM. Bioshock->Dito, the list goes from Fallout 3 over GTA IV, Diablo III, the Assassins Creed series, every EA game after Bad Company 2, every Capcom game since they have GfWl and the list goes on and on. Saved me a lot of Money, keeps my freedom and rights as a customer. No DRM free - no buy. Simple as that. 

That's pretty sad to hear, you basically play under a rock then. I feel I should point out that if you clicked the EULA on any game installation for the other games ever made you're just paying for the cd key and the right to use the software legally the same as if it was on say Steam and without the added comfort of having Steam's client and what-not and really no added benefits at all your rights in this case are completely imaginary, what rights do you lose if you use Steam? You can still mod your games(if they were moddable in the first place.) and the EULA is basically the same you can even infringe on it with Steam and they wouldn't even know because you do have access to the files... Now if you're not breaking the EULAs I don't even know why it would be a problem.

CD keys are also DRM which restricts reselling by the way and they've been around for more than 10 years.

Hmm, I sense an ulterior motive... wait, I've got it! This is a new version of the game where the Marker not only messes with the characters in the game, it also messes with YOUR head, turning you into a rabid EA fanboy! A Trojan horse- it's so obvious I was able to guess it without any evidence at all!

My paranoid delusions aside, this is somewhat of an expected move from EA; they've been taking in a record amount of hate from their playerbase, so they're trying to smooth things over the simplest way they know how- free stuff! 

That moment when your realise that 66% of games you now have on Origin and Uplay you got for free.

Thanks Nvidia and AMD for free stuff last year.

Hmm, I sense an ulterior motive... wait, I've got it! This is a new version of the game where the Marker not only messes with the characters in the game, it also messes with YOUR head, turning you into a rabid EA fanboy! A Trojan horse- it's so obvious I was able to guess it without any evidence at all!

My paranoid delusions aside, this is somewhat of an expected move from EA; they've been taking in a record amount of hate from their playerbase, so they're trying to smooth things over the simplest way they know how- free stuff! 

So they're getting on with the times? :P

Original can be seen here btw - http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103540/empire-strikes-back

This is free stuff, EA is being generous. YOU DON'T LIKE GENEROSITY?!?

Like I said, you don't have to do this, they are celebrating the dodge of the Consumerist's Bullsh!t award.

I never thought I would get Origin but then "Free Copy of Dead Space!" popped up and lo and behold it is now something I'll use more often...at least until I'm done with Dead Space.

I never thought I would get Origin but then "Free Copy of Dead Space!" popped up and lo and behold it is now something I'll use more often...at least until I'm done with Dead Space.

But then there will be more free games...maybe that's the strategy, they want us to be stuck in Origin, with the free games as bait.

Thanks for letting us know and now we are downloading the game. xD

I bet it's a way for them to make people forget how bad they are. Guess they don't want to earn another golden poop trophy this year.

But oh well. It's free!

I bet it's a way for them to make people forget how bad they are. Guess they don't want to earn another golden poop trophy this year.

They already were eliminated from the awards before this promotion.

They already were eliminated from the awards before this promotion.

Oh? Who won then? Warner Bros?

Oh? Who won then? Warner Bros?

Nobody won yet. And because of Warner Brothers' fantastic year in the film industry, releasing hits like Man of Steel and Gravity, I doubt they will win.

There's GOG and that's it. Apart from that you missed out on a lot of great games. DRM is everywhere, that's a cold hard fact. If you are not a fan of DRM, get yourself a console. And those also have basic DRM.

I never bought a digital game and im not planning to do it. I like having a cool box with Manuals...well physical stuff. DRM is everywhere because Gamers back then allowed it to be everywhere. Steam made the first step with online activation (HL2) and the shitstorm was massive but the majority bought it and accepted it anyway. Origin, Uplay and the others followed. If almost everyone boycotted that Business practice back then, steam wouldn't exist today. No Steam, no Origin, no Uplay, no Battlenet, no GfWl...

That's pretty sad to hear, you basically play under a rock then. I feel I should point out that if you clicked the EULA on any game installation for the other games ever made you're just paying for the cd key and the right to use the software legally the same as if it was on say Steam and without the added comfort of having Steam's client and what-not and really no added benefits at all your rights in this case are completely imaginary, what rights do you lose if you use Steam? You can still mod your games(if they were moddable in the first place.) and the EULA is basically the same you can even infringe on it with Steam and they wouldn't even know because you do have access to the files... Now if you're not breaking the EULAs I don't even know why it would be a problem.

CD keys are also DRM which restricts reselling by the way and they've been around for more than 10 years.

i can only Quote myself from another Topic: 

the second Point are those DRM Platforms with all the Pre-Order, Alpha access, Beta access, Premium, DLCs, Microtransactions and stuff like STEAM, Uplay, Battlenet and Origin. They should be optional and not forced to have it. It worked well long before those DRM mechanism were out and im sure it will still work well without them. I don't see any good Point to have them.

- You can't resell a game (killing used games market)

- You can't share or lend the game to your friends

- Platform Servers offline -> you can't Play your game

- Internet Problems -> you can't Play your game

- cloud Servers offline -> you can't save/you can't Play your game

- account hacked -> all games gone/ you can't Play your game

- according to their rules/EULA/license Agreement, they can shut down/ban your account for no reason. -> you can't Play your game

- developer bankrupt/shutdown -> Server shutdown -> you can't Play your game/all games gone

- mods partially prohibited. Try to mod -> Account banned-> you can't Play your game.

example: Diablo 2

- 6 Players Co-Op

- LAN Mode

- Offline SP

- no Always Online DRM

- resell or lend the game to friends

- Mods like Baldurs Gate mod, Lord of the Rings mod, Über Tristam, 128Player mod...the game is still living today thx to the mods

now look at Diablo 3:

- only 4 Players Co-Op

- no LAN mode

- no Offline SP

- always on DRM

- reselling or lending is impossible

- no modding

another example? Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2142/Battlefield 2

- Mods

- no always on DRM

- resell or lend it to a friend

- LAN mode (BF 1942)

- True Add-Ons with much Content (BF 1942/2142)

now check Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4

- no Modding allowed (account ban)

- always on DRM

- no LAN mode

- no reselling or lending

- (mini)DLCs, Season Pass, Day-One, Pre Order, Premium bla bla...well in short: Cut out main game Content that will be reselled for extra money

Who won't have Problems like that? Exactly, Gamers who pirate games. No matter what happens, they can still Play on and on, thx to cracks, fixed EXEs and Images. The honest customer, who paid 40-60 $/€ can't do shit when one of those Points will happen.

what are the benefits from them?

- automatic updates? included friendlist? online backup? internal mod database? digital store? Please. back then you had your friends on icq/Xfire and went on TS or Ventrilo.

You went on Google and searched manually for patches and community Patches that you Need/want or not. You searched through the Inet and several Forums for different fixes, debugs, FAQs and Troubleshootings to make the game run properly or Fixing a Crash to Desktop issue by changing some registry entries by "regedit" or "hex Editors".

You could establish a Connection via IPx/Null Modem and stuff like that. Back then Gamers learned more, helped themself and others because they put some effort to find a way to enjoy a game. Today most of them do a shitstorm and whine entire Forums because a game won't work and they don't know "How to".

Backup games? External HDD or private copy via Nero/Acronis.

Mods? uncle Google.

digital Store? So why buying only a license to Play on THEIR conditions if you just can go out and buy a boxed Version with colorful Manuals, a big Map, a nice made Gamebox for the same Price? Yes back then those stuff was Standard. Now you Need a limited/Collectors Edition and pay even more to have same stuff like in the late 90s.

It's like Blackbuster critic said: "Gamers today are lazy as fuck and don't know what they are doing".

- You can't resell a game (killing used games market)

- You can't share or lend the game to your friends

- Platform Servers offline -> you can't Play your game

- Internet Problems -> you can't Play your game

- cloud Servers offline -> you can't save/you can't Play your game

- account hacked -> all games gone/ you can't Play your game

- according to their rules/EULA/license Agreement, they can shut down/ban your account for no reason. -> you can't Play your game

- developer bankrupt/shutdown -> Server shutdown -> you can't Play your game/all games gone

- mods partially prohibited. Try to mod -> Account banned-> you can't Play your game.

You couldn't resell games before Digital, CD-keys were implemented long before and usually were tied to your online account, lending goes into that as well.

There's offline mode on all major clients you mentioned save for some games.

Cloud storage stores saves from your computer if the servers are off it won't keep your saves but when it's back online the client will ask you if you want to use the local or the cloud save(you look up the dates and pick up the correct one overwriting the older one.)

Account hacks are nonexistent in Steam, after creating SteamGuard Gabe Newell made his login information public so far it hasn't been hacked, and if you're enough of a fool to still somehow lose your account you can retrieve it with support very easily for all major clients.

Account bans are related to forums and online community, neither Steam nor Origin(well Origin was a bit rough at the start with that but it got fixed) will ban you from your games. If you're banned from online matchmaking then Steamguard caught you cheating and well that's great in my book.

The one about servers shutting down then game dies well that's for multiplayer games, it has happened with a few MMO's over the years but has yet to happen with a game that could potentially be played offline far as I'm aware. We'll see if that will happen, it's very possible that when Blizzard goes under(LOL yeah right.) they would patch out the server requirement from Diablo III. Either way there are ways to setup private networks if you really really want to play after that. There was a way to crack Diablo III close to release.

Most games without mod tools nowadays are EA's and it's a problem specific to them that has nothing to do with the hurdles of DRM and Origin, unless you're cracking the game you won't get banned though far as I'm aware.

(I'm using Steam and Origin as examples in these answers by the way but it mostly applies to all of Steam's "clones")

what are the benefits from them?

- automatic updates? included friendlist? online backup? internal mod database? digital store? Please. back then you had your friends on icq/Xfire and went on TS or Ventrilo.

You went on Google and searched manually for patches and community Patches that you Need/want or not. You searched through the Inet and several Forums for different fixes, debugs, FAQs and Troubleshootings to make the game run properly or Fixing a Crash to Desktop issue by changing some registry entries by "regedit" or "hex Editors".

You could establish a Connection via IPx/Null Modem and stuff like that. Back then Gamers learned more, helped themself and others because they put some effort to find a way to enjoy a game. Today most of them do a shitstorm and whine entire Forums because a game won't work and they don't know "How to".

Hm... Not having to manually patch things is a big improvement, yes. I'm sorry you don't see that way and Steam's overlay is eons ahead of Xfire too. Someone still used ICQ after the 90's? Setting up a server for most games wasn't complicated but I really see no added benefit, you look like those old people who keep repeating that "back then I had to walk 15 km to school." how was that better again?

Backup games? External HDD or private copy via Nero/Acronis.

Really? I haven't had disks since 2006, I have enough HDs that it's a non-issue and if something happens to the data it's all fine and I can redownload again, I cannot see how that doesn't make sense.

It worked well long before those DRM mechanism were out and im sure it will still work well without them. I don't see any good Point to have them.

Everything worked well back in the 19th century. Science was on the rise and a new era of peace and prosperity was dawning with the world being rid of many diseases, education and liberalism being spread throughout the world. Following your reasoning we should have stopped there.

You couldn't resell games before Digital, CD-keys were implemented long before and usually were tied to your online account, lending goes into that as well.

of course you could resell games before because the CD key was on the Manual itself and there was no check on serverside. It was all local on disc. You could install Worms 2 on 1 PC, lend the game to friends and run the game on numerous PCs at once.

There's offline mode on all major clients you mentioned save for some games.

Try to install a new game in offline mode. Most games have online activation. You have to be online.

Cloud storage stores saves from your computer if the servers are off it won't keep your saves but when it's back online the client will ask you if you want to use the local or the cloud save(you look up the dates and pick up the correct one overwriting the older one.)

In the beginning yes but in the future it will be more than just saving. Do you know that Windows 9 or 10 could be completely in the cloud? No Client sided OS anymore. No Internet -> no boot to OS. I hope it never Comes that far.

Account hacks are nonexistent in Steam, after creating SteamGuard Gabe Newell made his login information public so far it hasn't been hacked, and if you're enough of a fool to still somehow lose your account you can retrieve it with support very easily for all major clients.

Even with the Guard you can be scammed and hacked. Check some Steam community Forums about that subject. You will find enough Topics.

Account bans are related to forums and online community, neither Steam nor Origin(well Origin was a bit rough at the start with that but it got fixed) will ban you from your games. If you're banned from online matchmaking then Steamguard caught you cheating and well that's great in my book.

EA/Origin banned Gamers only for criticizing in the Forums. They couldn't Play any game anymore. There was massive shitstorm after that. Im not talking about cheating.

Most games without mod tools nowadays are EA's and it's a problem specific to them that has nothing to do with the hurdles of DRM and Origin, unless you're cracking the game you won't get banned though far as I'm Aware.

There was an Article which EA said that modding Battlefield 3 will Count as cheating and it will lead to account ban, even grphical/UI mods. Blizzard said the same about DIII shortly after release. The most recent was Sim City. A modder made an Offline Mod and EA said that it will lead to a ban.

really? I haven't had disks since 2006, I have enough HDs that it's a non-issue and if something happens to the data it's all fine and I can redownload again, I cannot see how that doesn't make sense.

again. Try to redownload something without Internet or Server issues.

I never bought a digital game and im not planning to do it. I like having a cool box with Manuals...well physical stuff.

They still have those kind of things last time I checked in my local GameStop.

DRM is everywhere because Gamers back then allowed it to be everywhere.

I was going to say that but I was afraid gamers would be very hostile towards that. I can agree on what you have said.

Steam made the first step with online activation (HL2) and the shitstorm was massive but the majority bought it and accepted it anyway. Origin, Uplay and the others followed. If almost everyone boycotted that Business practice back then, steam wouldn't exist today. No Steam, no Origin, no Uplay, no Battlenet, no GfWl...

Well Steam is not going to change. But right now it's not the best out there. Everyone else is on it so this is our PC world and we just have to get used to it.

Use GOG, it is digital but it is also DRM-free. Not to mention you can burn the data on a disk, download the manual from GOG, get a cover, and you have a DRM free hard copy.

Also Origin not only sells digital copies of PC games, but also hard copies.

Already have it on Steam, so I'm good.  :)