• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

BlackFelyne

How Reliable is GoG?

23 posts in this topic

I must be a major noob for asking this...but still, I'm new to the PC gaming scene. To be honest though...I'm loving PC gaming more than I thought, I'm even considering making it my lead platform of choice ^^

I have a steam account of course, and most of my games are from there, but I heard of people talking about other sites, like GoG for example.

How reliable is it? Like...are there bad downloads (viruses and such) I'd have to worry about?

I haven't encountered problems with GoG downloads.  I love playing the classics from time to time.

Its a online store that is practically venerated because of their lack of DRM. As reliable as steam, just make sure your computer is compatible with whatever you buy.

GoG is pretty awesome, they emulate older games perfectly and they do alot of events/offers. You should make an account, keep an eye on it. I also recommend GamersGate and Green Man Gaming for alternatives to Steam.

GoG is really god for offline-games, can recommend it!

Personally I've brought many games on GOG without any problems so far, so I can really only recommend it, if you have some minor experience with what your doing that is.. 

Like FluffyZykone mentioned, and stated by GOG.com themselves

You buy it. You own it. 100% DRM-free. DRM, also called copy protection, tries to control you and your games. We don’t believe in that - all of the games on GOG.com come without any DRM at all!

So don't forget about the 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, that comes with GOG.com just in case.

If your purchase doesn't run and they cant help you, they'll give back all your money

GoG is one of the best stores that you can buy older games, and there is no virusses what so ever. (although don't blame me if you don't have a virus protection software and something horrible happends).

Probably the safest place to buy games online.

Recoveryanonymous and Ysnar like this

I asked the same thing when I heard about it. It seemed too good to be true but they are 100% legit. 

GoG, Greenmangaming, Gamersgate, Get Games and probably a few others are all reliable shops. The shady ones don't look at all like gog, most are actually safe though.

GoG is the perfect site for buying classic gems without drm

GOG is the best thing to happen for PC gaming since Steam. not everyone wants new games and online games, and prefer older classics and that is the best place for them.

for years i tried and failed to get carmageddon windows 95 version to work properly on newer windows operating systems, with correct gfx and sounds and everything... and GOG made it happen. i love that site.

Bimpy782 likes this

More reliable than steam. They actually have quality control and fix their games so they work on new machines.

I remember hearing that GOG is considering the addition of an early access section... their quality control will be put to the test.

GoG is very reliable i never had a prob with them all the games i got from them work on my windows 8 pc and if it dosent work you can get a refund and the fact its DRM free and has nice sales makes it my 2nd fav place to buy games the first being steam ^-^

GOG is where I get most of my games, all of which are DRM free. I'm glad that it exists and that I can own the Witcher series and several other series completely DRM free; in the wake of the ill-fated Xbox One DRM and Steam, it's clear that's where the industry is slowly moving: restrictive DRM.

I'm glad that GOG exists as an antithesis to those anti-consumer business practices. Hopefully as time goes on, they'll get more popular and more games will get put on there. I've not had a problem with any of the games I've purchased from that store and I could not recommend GOG more highly.

super relieble , its thousand times better then steam.

Unlike steam  the guys at GoG acctually care about the customers and will help you with the games you buy or their website in general and will give you refunds on enything really, which is nice

and the absolute best thing about GoG is that all its games are  DRM free!

no need internet for eny game, when you buy it and download it. its your forever :D

It's nowhere close to some of the trash on steam and it also has historic significance.

The good in good old games is not exactly followed to the letter. Historic significance? Come on, there's no reason to play Daikatana unless you're making a show based on it, researching historic game flops or plain old masochism. There are some other questionable games on GoG too, and I see no problem with it really. I'm just pointing out that it's not just gold and gems over their library. There's a lot of bad old games after all.

The main advantage of gog is that they tamper with the game for you and you usually don't have to do anything other than open the dosbox shortcut. Getting abandonware to work can be tiresome sometimes, my Warcraft 1 copy can confirm.

How reliable is it? Like...are there bad downloads (viruses and such) I'd have to worry about?

None.

GoG is a beloved and respected site for old games so you definitely don't have to worry about those. They make a nice installer for you and pack all the extra bits into zip folders as scanned files like manuals. As well as soundtracks and other goodies where possible.