• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Variloh

Can E3 be bad for gamers?

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys, yet another "Gamer Mind" Forum post, this week we got a special E3 edition! You can participate on the show on www.twitch.tv/variloh come join the show via skype! let me know via twitter @variloh, AJSA community msg or via twitch.  

The question: We have talked about how hype can be a problem, under that logic, can E3 hurt us as gamers by getting up pumped and making promises that are later unfulfilled? Or is it only a great way to look at the future of gaming? post your opinion down below!

PS: i post this in the general discussion since i want all members of the AJSA from different games to participate, as well as the discusion topic is pretty open and is not about my channel, which is why i post it here and NOT on the user created section (plus it DOES say discuss "anything and everything" here       :) )

Madman likes this

E3, in my mind, has been a sort of showdown situation. It's meant to, not only show consumers what they're capable of/ trying to do and sell, but to show other companies "Hey, I can do this with this! What are you gonna try to do about it?"

Somewhat less of a hype builder to the community, more a show of arms to the competition. This way they can build larger crowds, have more pull in future topics, get attention, that sort of thing. If a company goes in only to find out they are pale in comparison to others, they're going to re-double their efforts to meet the others. Like-wise, it can unfortunately sow the seeds of despair and have larger companies feel they have little to worry and begin to slack off or push for earlier release because they're slightly ahead of the curve and want to cash in before they're caught up to.

With how much hype promises are being let down, I'm hopeful companies are seeing this and realizing their mistake or the mistakes of others. The hype for games never seemed to be getting as high as it has been lately, so with luck it's going to start smoothing out again. Otherwise, we can expect a lot more upsets and false advertisements. 

IrishRogue likes this

E3 was never and will never be for gamers , its all press in there talking  to the corporations who are publishing the games.

and yes it does hurt us  as gamers alote of lying about their and false advertising in E3 just because the press believing it which makes the typical gamer all hyped and his money right into the corporations pockets.

the companies will never learn because people keep throwing money at them without eny proof of the game/product.

and if you're one of those people that really want to get in E3 don't. you won't have fun there , too many people , you won't be able to play eny demos because of the ridiculous waiting lines, and it will piss you off in general.

eny of the PAX's are really fun and you get to talk to the devs themselfs about their upcoming game and the future of the game itself.

so yeah don't waste your time on E3 . watch the stream on twitch sure but don't get  excited trying to go there.  

(talking from experience)

I would agree with that but only to a point. When a game delivers than it's probably okay. When it doesn't like WatchDogs I think it's a huge negative. In the case of the Witcher 3 I'm pretty excited for it and trust Project Red will deliver.

In the case of the Witcher 3 I'm pretty excited for it and trust Project Red will deliver.

absolutely right! 

cd projekt red is literaly the most trusworthy game developers ever ;D

IMO E3 isn't too much different than any other medium of gaming preview news...It just so happens to have bigger crowds, bigger budgets, and bigger claims. In the end though you really can't trust it completely. So while part of me says you can't trust E3 too much, I don't blame E3 itself, but the whole game preview scene as a whole.

That said E3 is more than capable of doing good for gamers too. Look at the bad attention it created for the Xbone last year. If they didn't flop on their face so hard last e3, chances are the community wouldn't have forced Microsoft to get their @#%@%# together at gunpoint (ok maybe I exaggerate) before actually releasing it. Not saying the Xbone is good now, I don't have one, but from what I hear, it's alot better than the initial expectations were, and I heard microsoft listened to people's complaints regarding it before its release soo, I think E3 deserves some credit for things like that.

E3 is gaming cancer. Everything that it spawns is straight up poison, whether it's dishonest trailers that give you a distorted view of the game, or developer demos that are so scripted that any deviation will break them completely (hence why they're not playable to the public) or in some cases straight up fabrications that don't represent the final game at all. And the worst part is that while the developers are busy polishing these beautiful, hand crafted half truths, they're not working on their actual games.

And lets not even talk about hype. "There's a sucker born every minute" has never been so appropriate as in the gaming industry.

I do not like the versus mentaiity when all the companies brings out their new games and the extremists of opposite sides fight eachover. I think this is more a problem with us gamers rather than e3. Not that E3 is innocent, the place is from my perspective more of a advertising place for new games. Showing of trailers and such to businessmen and youtube press. Not very friendly to go on as a consumer.

But since we can sit here and watch the news from here  then i dont see it any different to ordinary gaming news, Not dangerous for the watcher.

Variloh likes this

I do think it's good to have an 'Event' for games, the same way TV, Movies and Comics have Emmy's Oscars and Comicon. (I'm aware that Oscars and Emmys are awards but in many ways they are a celebration of Movies and TV).

I also think that the press conferences give you an insight into how the big 3 console developers are thinking and are an opportunity to gauge reactions from teh public. I think without E3 last year MS would have launched an always online, Kiniect mandatory Xbox One- this would have been a terrible result for gamers and for them.

I also think they're a way of setting expectations confirming projects and setting the record straight- how many rumors have bounced around gaming sites that later turned out to be untrue or misinterpreted (Nintendo new Hardware at E3 for example).

However I would also suggest that E3 has been used to over hype some games - and recently I have grown more suspicious about what I see - The Order 1886 demo shown off at E3 looked amazing but I didn't notice anywhere it stating that this was actual PS4 game footage (correct me if I'm wrong about that). I think we all need to be a bit more canny with some of these demos and remember Colonial Marinces when someone shows a pretty tech demo or a rendered cut scene.

Just like Winnum said i also agree that there should be an even for games. But E3 can over hype games too. But i think the worst thing about E3 even more than over hype would be lies by gaming companies and developers. An example would be Aliens: colonial marines, how they showed content and ai that wasn't even relatively the game.

So I think it can be bad for gamers because alot of the time they will promise us this big awesome game then when it comes out it is nothing like they promised it would be. like Bioshock infinate now dont get me wrong it was a really good game and I loved it but E3 showed one of its commercia;s and half the scenes in it never actually happened in the game like Elezibeth about to get hanged when Booker comes in to save her. So that disappointed me a bit and how they said it would be long but it was kinda short.