• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

The Anti-Santa

60 FPS AND WHERE I STAND ON IT.

33 posts in this topic

I've been watching a lot of TotalBiscuit's videos today and he brings up the subject of 60 FPS a lot, and he makes a good point when he says it's needed. I know a lot of people share his opinion, and some people oppose it, and some people don't seem to notice since console games are generally locked to 30 FPS. 

Personally, I don't mind either way. I'm a console gamer the majority of the time, as such I've become used to seeing games run at 30 FPS, but I do agree that 60 FPS makes games look vastly superior. In fact I'd even go so far as to say that 60 FPS is probably going to become the next graphical and performance standard just like 1080p did (even though some consoles and developers are still saying it's too hard to do that). However, for the time being I'm fine with 30 FPS, and I totally understand if other feel differently and say that they should at least have the option to have it. Hell, Metro is being remastered in 60 FPS for consoles so you can bet your ass I'll be checking that out.

Also I want to say, if and when I do get myself a proper gaming PC I will most likely be expecting my games to run at 60 FPS.

How about you guys? I know a lot of your guys are PC gamers, so feel free to throw your hat into the ring.

Berserker likes this

I absolutely cannot play below 60. It feels sluggish and unresponsive, which I guess is the most important thing about it for me. Yes, it does make the game look an order of magnitude better, but the real reason I can't live without it is the response time. Games run in a loop: get input, run logic, paint screen, repeat. At lower frame rates, the time between opportunities for input increases and therefore you react slower. Games have tech built in to lessen this effect, but it's still very much an issue for me.

By_zeus_beard and oogie386 like this

I can see and feel the difference, but I like to crank some games as high as possible regardless of the fps (as long as it's not below 30 -ish) because I like my games to look neat despite having a rather crappy pc.

Anything under 60 is unacceptable on the PC or current gen systems.

I was originally gonna say something along the lines of "60 fps is great and all, but don't let it spoil you or define your games. No one likes a framelitist."

But instead I'll just post a couple cool links. 

http://www.30vs60.com/

aaaaand

http://www.blurbusters.com/hfr-120fps-video-game-recording/

Puntosmx and Sigma081 like this

This is always going to be a personal thing- some people will really notice the difference and some people wont. It's a little bit like sound quality - you get some people who are real audiophiles and have to have the best possible sound setup and then you get others who can barely hear the difference between one set of speakers and another. 

There will likely come a point on consoles where most games are running at 60fps but as the generation gets older and the hardware gets pushed more and more this will likely go back to 30fps

On PC of course the only limit is your current hardware and how much you're willing to spend on an upgrade.

Well, I have been used to playing consoles for a long long time but just recently I got a gaming rig that can play all the new stuff with ease. I must say that I never used to notice the difference but after playing 60 FPS on PC the past couple of months, I really don't know how I managed to play without it. It adds a whole new dimension to my gaming experience anyway.

Personally I see only minimal to no difference most of the time, I'll probably piss some people off by saying so but Total Biscuit is a fanboy so I don't take anything  he says seriously.

Personally I see only minimal to no difference most of the time, I'll probably piss some people off by saying so but Total Biscuit is a fanboy so I don't take anything  he says seriously.

I guess everybody has a different processing for visual information. I mean I see a huge difference between 30 fps and 45 fps but if you don't see a difference between 60 and 30, I don't blame you.

BUT I would like to have the possibility of configuring the graphics on Console games for 60 and 30 fps gameplay. Because othrewise it's just discrimination towards people who can and can't see the difference.

I can tolerate sub 60 fps in single player stuff like Darksiders, Watch Dogs, and even First person shooter campaigns, but in multiplayer? +60 fps or no business.

My standards must be weird, because regardless if a game is in 60 fps or 30 fps, a shit game is a shit game.

As long as the 30fps is stable (Locked, no fluctuations, NO BLIGHTTOWN)) I'm A-ok with the game, because eventually the FPS will disappear from my mind and I'll be focusing more on what is going on in the game.

Verethragna likes this

I guess everybody has a different processing for visual information. I mean I see a huge difference between 30 fps and 45 fps but if you don't see a difference between 60 and 30, I don't blame you.

BUT I would like to have the possibility of configuring the graphics on Console games for 60 and 30 fps gameplay. Because othrewise it's just discrimination towards people who can and can't see the difference.

I'll admit my eyesight is pretty bad so that's probably a contributing factor, but yeah It would nice to have choice on consoles.

At first I'll notice 30 FPS when playing a game (like going from Black Ops to BF3 on PS3) but after about 10 minutes of getting into a game at 30 FPS I don't notice it really. It just seems silly games from the PS2 era could get 60 FPS and Watch Dogs can't.

But since I retro game as well as stay up to date with new games I play a wide variety of FPS and resolutions. So really for me the game has to be good and thats about it.

Even if Watch Dogs was 60 FPS and 1080p it would still be a piece of shit.

The human is a very adaptable creature.  Our adaptability is one of the important aspects that make us human.  If you play a game at 30fps and then at 60fps there will be a noticeable difference.  When transitioning from a 60fps experience to a 30fps experience the human body will adapt it just takes time.  Much like sitting in a pitch dark room.  The idea that 30fps is "unplayable" is just snobbish.  Much like stating, "I can't eat a regular burger after having the best steak in town."  Ya know what?  That's fair.  There is nothing wrong with having high standards.  I honestly don't care whether a game is at 60fps or 30fps, but what I do care about is whether the frame rate is in consistent flux.

Verethragna likes this

I may have already said this but never got or saw the answer. Back when we were selling Playstation Games, The big pitch was always Graphics, Polygons (How many it had) and Frames Per Second...I don't know why, I guess because they were the hot buzz words at the time.

Anyway, I do recall being told time and time again by people in the know and reading articles and stuff that the Human eye can not process more than 30 Frames Per Second and that all the talk of games doing more than that was just meaningless "Hype".

Can anyone confirm this? Or have things changed because this whole can't process more than 30 frames per second was a big debate before the advent of HD TV so maybe that has changed things.

He's not really a fanboy. He's a PC gamer, his is a PC gaming channel, that's all. I mean I have caught him giving the odd PC master race joke but it's always followed with a slight scoff like he finds as irritating as I do. Also he's yet to make a video about how much better PC's are than consoles.

The big pitch was always Graphics, Polygons (How many it had) and Frames Per Second...I don't know why, I guess because they were the hot buzz words at the time.

Anyway, I do recall being told time and time again by people in the know and reading articles and stuff that the Human eye can not process more than 30 Frames Per Second and that all the talk of games doing more than that was just meaningless "Hype".

Given all the people saying they notice a difference I'm going to say that is obviously wrong. How it looks is also only one part of it, it's like the terrible argument people make for not caring about having new or up to date hardware saying that the graphics don't matter and only the artstyle and gameplay does. Both hardware and FPS are going to be responsible for a lot more than just how the game looks, such as the game accepting your commands more quickly for a higher FPS. The argument for higher FPS doesn't usually revolve around people saying, "this looks noticeably better," it's, "this plays noticeably better."

60fps is just better than 30fps. With the type of hardware we have now 60fps should be the standard. 

In fact I'd even go so far as to say that 60 FPS is probably going to become the next graphical and performance standard just like 1080p did

60 fps has been the standard for 10 years at least. 1080p has been the standard for even longer than that.

you console guys really are in the dark.

60 fps has been the standard for 10 years at least. 1080p has been the standard for even longer than that.

you console guys really are in the dark.

This. I think it was Quake Wars that for some reason had its FPS capped at 30 on PC. I spent days tweaking my computer and the graphics settings to make the game playable until I found out there was a frame cap that was set to 30 as default, which I could then simply change to 60.

Non-3d games without a lot of movement can work for me with low framerates, like Hearthstone on the iPad. For me, 30 FPS became a thing of the past in 1996 when Quake was released and I got a 3dFx graphics card.

fridgeracer likes this

30-60 is fine to be honest.

He's a what now? He expects games to have a standard array of options when they're ports and to be well optmized, how's that being a fanboy?

I really can't tell much of a difference. Dark Souls 2 is 30 FPS when I thought it was a smoother 60 FPS.

Edit: I'm fine with 30 FPS but those frames better not drop in that case.

30-60 is fine to be honest.

I share this opinion.

I share this opinion.

Yeah as I said as long as it doesn't drop I'm fine.

It takes more skill to successfully game with less responsive controls.

Demon's Souls was piss-easy enough at 30.

60 would have made the difficulty a complete joke.