• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pureimagination

Nintendo not having enough old games on e shop or making them exclusives

11 posts in this topic

Yesterday my friend told me about a really good rpg on game boy advance, Golden Sun. I had been thinking of getting a new rpg for 3ds but couldn't think of anything that interested me. (I already own fire emblem awakening, and tales of the abyss) Some of the other rpgs on the system maybe just aren't my taste. But I became really interested in these two games after he told me it's like the best GBA games, but the games themselves are rare and cost alot. So I go on the e-shop on my 3ds and see a trailer for the first golden sun and realise it's only on the wii u. I became so frustrated. It's a game boy advance game! Why are there all these super nintendo and game boy advance games exclusive only to the wii u? Game boy advance game are made to be played on a small screen on a hand held! It's like they think making old games that are like over one or two decades old exclusives to certain consoles even though both obviously have the power to handle them, helps sell the other console.

People already play so many of these games on emulators! Me having no option to play the game unless I get a wii u makes me want to play on an emulator. It's like there is no other reasonable option. And so many people work for FREE to get these roms to work on emulators properly it boggles my mind that nintendo can't get more old games on the e shop easily. How long did people wait for super mario bros 3 to be on there? They still don't have any of the old pokemon games on there even though they obviously would sell really well. Pokemon games are worth so much now because they are scarce and the batteries that allow the game to save often die out. The only reasonably option to play them are on emulators.

The playstation store has a huge library of old ps1 and ps2 games. And they sell pretty well too. The playstation 1 games are even playable on ps vita. They don't let anything limit themselves from selling the game to customers. They take advantage of their potential of their online store. Also it allows some more rare old games to be played by many people without them spending a fortune to get a copy.

I hate to sound bashing on nintendo. All the hate nintedo has gotten recently I often will defend them against it to an extent because I think they still make really good games. There are some things they do that are just stupid though. Things like limiting online play of their games and voice chat. That's a whole different topic though. They don't always take things to fullest potential. And sometimes they are too conservative.

The Nintendo 3DS in it's current state can't actually emulate GBA games.  The hardware in the 3DS can play GBA games, but it would require the entire second CPU to run the game, but that isn't actually proper emulation.  The only way the 3DS could properly emulate GBA games is if they add better hardware, because emulation requires more resources than the actual console would.  I can't actually imagine they would consider putting older Pokemon games onto the Virtual Console.  Roms don't have batteries, so you couldn't save the game legitimately and you would only have one save state, the roster of Pokemon is old, you couldn't do any trading of Pokemon, so you wouldn't get the games entire experience, and Nintendo wants people to buy X and Y as well as Omega Ruby and Sapphire.

You can pick up Golden Sun:  Dark Dawn for less than 10 bucks on the DS.  Considered to be the weakest in the franchise, because it's "too easy".  The flaw in that criticism is that it claims the first two Golden Sun games were difficult.  They weren't.  Either way, Golden Sun is a pretty great franchise that we've heard nothing about in four years, but oh well.

Oh I didn't know that. I don't know if mods care about linking things related to emulators but I was checking this one out http://www.sc3ds.com/

I guess it's the only r4 card for the 3ds that can run gba emulators because it has it's own cpu or something. :/ Not saying I'll get it though. It's pretty damn impress really, can even play movies and ds games on it.

Wait, GBA games can't be emulated on the 3DS? Tell that to the people who got Ambassador 3DS's and are currently playing Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion with no problem. They also released The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for free a while back.

Granted, for all I know Nintendo had to rework those games to make them work, but it's clearly doable.

Wait, GBA games can't be emulated on the 3DS? Tell that to the people who got Ambassador 3DS's and are currently playing Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion with no problem. They also released The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for free a while back.

Granted, for all I know Nintendo had to rework those games to make them work, but it's clearly doable.

It isn't proper emulation.  It requires the entire second cpu of the 3DS and is not of the same standards as the other virtual console titles.  If you close the lid the game still runs and you can't save state.  These two features are part of what makes the virtual console experience and Nintendo doesn't want to put the shitty faux emulation on to the service and charge the average virtual console price for a lesser experience.  With that out of the way, the 3DS probably can't do a proper virtual console gba emulation.  They gave "free" gba games to ambassadors, so Nintendo didn't care if the emulation was a sloppy workaround.

I might pick up golden sun dark dawn. It looks kinda good.

Good Choice.  Don't let the so called Golden Sun "fans" talk you out of it.  It literally plays like any other Golden Sun game, albeit using Psy powers is a little easier in the new game compared to the older, and beyond that its just nitpicking.  I think you'll enjoy it.  As a guy who bought every Golden Sun game on release and loved the hell out of them, beat all the extra bosses as well, they all get my seal of approval.  Though I should point out the game ends on a cliff hanger and we've not heard of a sequel in almost 4 years.  The games still fun getting there though.

So I got golden sun dark dawn a few days ago. At first I wasn't sure I liked it and considered returning it for something else. But once i got past the beginning sort of tutorial like sections, and out into the open world to do what I wanted I started liking it. The text conversations especially in the beginning can draw on a little to long though, sometimes it seems like they could of cut the conversation in half and got the point across the same. The gameplay to me seems like a mixture of final fantasy and zelda. The puzzles remind me of zelda and some of the music and art style of everything, then the battles are sort of final fantasy and the characters look final fantasyish. But to solve the puzzles you use the different magic powers of party members (growing plants, moving objects, shooting fire balls etc.) and you use the touch screen to use them which works nice. And solving some puzzles and exploring can be rewarding in finding new djinni (spirit creatures that help you fight in battle) or weapons and items. But the battles are pretty easy so far. I haven't really been threatened to the point of almost dying in battle yet. Also there are towns to visit to shop in and sleep in inns and stuff so it has an old school rpg mechanics kinda. Some of the sound effects and music remind me of the vibe of gameboy advance.games.

Yeah, lol the incredibly long, conversation heavy intros are sort of a thing in the series.  The first game, oh the first game.  It took so long for the actual game to start that I was so upset when I played it as a kid.  Then the game kicks in and actually lets you play and bam I was sold.  SO GOOD.

Yeah i really love golden sun dark dawn. i went on a camping trip and played it alot. i think I'm 9 or 10 hours in? There are alot of things I can say about this game. The battles have lots of animations and are good, nothing feels really cheap in the game I think. Like as in animations being limited, Yeah the graphics are a little pixely and there are text bubbles but i don't mind that at all. It actually reminds me of n64 games a little bit. The dungeons and puzzles are good. They have some challenge and thinking to get through and there is alot of variety (variety of enviorments and places too). The battles have alot of things you can do. But generally the battles aren't too hard. So far in the game I've only have one guy die and I immediately revived him with a djinn. I kind of wish there was a new game plus mode wjhere the difficulty in the battles was harder, which would makes sense too since you would understand the mechanics better on a 2nd playthrough. One thing though thats been driving me crazy a bit is understanding what makes my party members spells change. I know the djinn effect giving them or taking away certain spells but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how it works. Like one person has a group heal spell then they don't later and i'm frustrated not understanding why. I should probably look it up now.

I also like the story alot, at first I felt whatever about the story but as I got into it, they really have crafted quite a world and story that I enjoy going through. Although I compare it to zelda and final fantasy it does hold it's own as a good story and game. And the ammount of variety of things going on and places make it feel like I've been playing longer than I actually have. I'm only 9 or 10 hours in. I also like the openess of the world and visiting the towns and stuff. I hope they continue the series and make another one!

One last thing is i also like how you can control the whole game with the stylus if you want but there are still normal controls that work fine. The stylus was useful for when I was eating and I could play with one hand. This is how they should have made that zelda phantom hourglass game (a game I'm not a fan of, would reccoment goldens sun over it). Because phantom glass had the stylus controls and it might of been better if you could use stylus or just normal comntrols.

I'm really glad you're liking it.  It's a solid game, overall.  I hope it holds up for you throughout the rest of the game.  As far as Djinn equipping goes, I just go with trial and error.  I usually make sure to keep one character with the Wish spells, Wish, Wish Well, and Pure Wish.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0