• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Glaice

Twitch.tv to apply ContentID-esque to streams

39 posts in this topic

The more reasonable Boogie version below:

AlphaOmegaSin's take on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5aVNFlAmqA

So yea, ContentID bullshit is coming to the live streams on Twitch. This is not going to make Joe happy either.

Dyzzles, Sol Omega, Ysnar and 2 others like this

Well, I can see this being a good thing. But also a bad thing

Have a 30 minute video with a snippet of copyrighted audio? Muted.

The whole situation is bullshit. They are going down the same slope Youtube did, and we all saw what happened. I try to explain things to a few friends, one of whom writes for a online gaming magazine, but they defend this bullshit. Their answer "Well just don't play music" My response "They are blocking off even their own streams, Twitch is censoring Twitch streams for gods sake. They are attacking for game music as well. If your game has any kind of bgm your done son" This is how far these copyright assholes go. Their job is make as much money as possible by coming up with bullshit claims and attacking the little people that make a few bucks here and there when someone likes their content. They aren't even making bank off streamers or youtubers, they think they are, but they aren't. It's like suing a guy for a million bucks even though he makes only a dollar a year, but they think he has money so their gona try and steal that dollar. Cause hell, in a million years they'll make that million off ya. Yeah I'm using a very out there example but the premise is the same. Their suing for peanuts and expecting gold.

lordvetynari likes this

There is an up and coming alternative called http://hitbox.tv and I encourage all ranks of the Angry Army to use it instead.

Dyzzles likes this

There is no alternatives to Twitch. Because none of the reside in a country that didn't sign the DMCA, likewise telling the RIAA to fuck off.

Oh and this won't be limited to VODs...

YouTube's "Live Event" policy: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3367684?hl=en&ref_topic=2853713

...it's coming, this is just a baby step to prevent a full on Internet riot.

We are doomed. DOOMED I TELL YA! Soon we all have to use facebook to post videos and not youtube! Noooooo!

Oh btw, I remembered months ago that members of the forum are banding together to form a new website like youtube that's free from google's control, so there's no content id or any crap like that. How's that project going along?

This is from the other thread if you guys haven't seen it yet.

It has commenced. Google has started to make unannounced, UN-wanted changes to Twitch and users are up in arms. On-Demand Videos and Archival System is over. Here's the input of one of Twitch Users and Youtube Let's Play Commentator, DarksydePhil. Personally...this pisses me off as I saw this coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-Fn4JTjwI

So archived videos are only there for 6 months or something now? That sucks a load.

@Mr. E- Nope....only 60 days the most.

Well i kinda understand that if u play music in the background while playing games this is not acceptable. It's copyright stuff, so just don't play some random music then. If thats all its all good in the hood. But if they are gonna implement it for the games themselves, well shit, then Twitch is kinda doomed since every game has music in them. It's gonna be very quite then if Twitch is gonna mute your stream. 

Hmm, i guess Google is really on the side of the dying Music, TV and Movie industry, so fuck them. Also the word MONOPOLY comes to my mind with twitch and YouTube's purchase by Google

This just boggles my mind. When you hear a song on somebody's live stream, you hear it once, and probably only once, unless there is a rhythm game involved. If you like that song, you're more than likely going to look up the song on youtube/spotify/soundcloud/etc. . I mean, how is that bad? If anything, you give the producer MORE money and MORE publicity instead of less. Muting VoDs/live streams ( thank god it's only VoDs for now ) pretty much means the viewers won't know and subsequently will not look up the songs being played. It means that the artist actually remains unknown, unless we're talking major, MAJOR artists, in which case the song in question is probably known to death anyway.

This hurts small time artists and people that want to get their music out there. I read about someone that bought most of the songs he liked while listening to a random streamer. He would not have given any money for these songs if there was such an ID system in place. No money to the creators. Besides, you don't hear a song on stream all the time - people aren't streaming 1 hour loops of a song, they're playing a damn game. Someone hears it, likes it and looks it up, giving the music artist money and himself enjoyment. Who really loses? Record companies? 

On that topic, it's hilarious how Twitch has muted it's own official VoDs - what a reliable system, apparently even Twitch is using songs ilegally! Also, muting game sounds? Really? That's sort of the point of some games, and taking that away from them is ridiculous. Music builds tons of atmosphere in most game genres, especially in horror games. I myself am more creeped out by a horror game's sounds rather than visuals. Take those away and... yeah, no more 10spooky20me.

I didn't get the youtube ID system, I don't get it here either. It's unnecessary and hurts everyone - including those that it's supposed to protect from copyright infringment. Perhaps I'm just missing something here. 

This is a step backwards from a community standpoint but I'm sure twitch suits think it right.  To them selling the servers involves making Google happy.. not their customers.  Hell I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them leave twitch after the buyout.  

That's why they're doing it...or should I say starting with the VODs.

Because most will go "oh, I understand..okay." ....they have no clue that this'll be expanded into the "Live" feeds.

For those wondering why this even happens...why The Industry doesn't embrace free advertising....

This is all about control more so than money. And no, not control over Intellectual Property. But straight up control. You guys probably don't even know what it's like to hold the fate of someone's Livelihood in your legally binding hand. To know that, on a whim, you can ruin someone to the point of destitution.

Furthermore, they (RIAA more specifically) dislike the fact that anyone with talent can throw up a YouTube video 'demo track' and become popular overnight (Gangam Style, Makulah, host of others)

Reiteration ...this is all on the RIAA, mind you. Though...companies like Google aren't exactly stellar either when you follow the money. ;)

Really don't understand why a streaming service didn't relocate to a country with much more reasonable copyright protection laws *cough*Antigua*cough*.

So google basically buys twitch and ruins it. Nice going. How does applying copy right bs to video game streams make any sense.

Yeah they are becoming a monopoly. They own all the major websites except like twitter and facebook. They may even take over internet with their new google internet that is the fastest. Now they are even making all these google book laptops or something that are cheap as balls. The government won't do anything. The government and politics is controlled by corporations. They have all the money. See also monsanto (patents life itself).

illutian likes this

@Mr. E- Nope....only 60 days the most.

Well obviously that's even worse. I hardly get to watch live, so I primarily watch archived stuff. If I like a streamer, I even sometimes go watch their older videos like I do for Youtube. This screws a lot of people over.

Well obviously that's even worse. I hardly get to watch live, so I primarily watch archived stuff. If I like a streamer, I even sometimes go watch their older videos like I do for Youtube. This screws a lot of people over.

It's 60 days or you can make Highlights in 2 hour increments that will be permanently saved (until they change their minds :P )

It's 60 days or you can make Highlights in 2 hour increments that will be permanently saved (until they change their minds :P )

Just isn't the same as watching the whole thing though. Heck, some of Joe's archived streams are five hours long, some are three hours long. Two hour highlights aren't going to do it.

Just isn't the same as watching the whole thing though. Heck, some of Joe's archived streams are five hours long, some are three hours long. Two hour highlights aren't going to do it.

You would need to cut it up into 3 highlights then :P

Thanks Google for crushing the creativity of thousands

Dick Move of the Month?

Apparently the CEO of Twitch apologized for this stupid ass move.

ap.ign.com/m/en/twitch/74551/news/twitch-ceo-admits-we-screwed-up-with-new-policies

He said he didn't mean to flag original in game musics. He just wants to flag copyrighted in game music that's in Audible Magic'a database.

Here's a solution: remove the flag for every video and don't flag anything.