• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jitterdoomer

Anita Sarkeesian leaves home due to death threats

72 posts in this topic

Remember that controversy that Joe was talking about in the Top 10 Controveries of 2013 video? Anita Sarkeesian, the host of Feminist Frequency was left home after receiving death and rape threats from anybody. I'm being neutral for this topic because I don't want to get started with this shit again.

http://m.beautyworldnews.com/articles/11519/20140831/video-game-feminist-anita-sarkeesian-leaves-home-due-to-death-threats.htm

No person deserves death threats but what did she expect? After she telling that gaming and or gamers is mysogonist and sexist and shows invalid evidence and presents it as facts. And when she gets critiqued for the videos she are making then she calls it an attack against women by men.

This is the internet, you get death threats all the time. 
Heck, all I see in these tweets are just a bunch of standard raging/ venting types.
The funny part, is that their is rumors that she created the account herself in order to get funds for herself. See here for that stuff

Everybody gets death threats.

Everybody gets insulted.

Everybody gets harassed.

It's the internet.

Hell, I got threatened before. Over my beliefs, anime, people even threatened to rape me. Don't see me moving out of my house or playing the victim.

LSSJGamer, Gone too and Suprhomre like this

I like how she has to throw in "harassment of women in tech". What a typical feminist. #yesallwomen #killallmen #womenvictims

Gone too likes this

This is the internet, you get death threats all the time. 

Heck, all I see in these tweets are just a bunch of standard raging/ venting types.

The funny part, is that their is rumors that she created the account herself in order to get funds for herself. See here for that stuff

Common misunderstanding I don't think she ever claimed those where the tweets in question, and indeed I would suspect they are not, due to the fact that any threats she recieved that are enough to force her and her family out of their home would be a police matter, and generally the Police don't like you discussing an ongoing investigation. Those are just examples of what is a daily event for her now, and no 'Threats' are not a everyday happening online nor should we 'Accept' them as such even if they are. 

As for that erm... well it all seems to hinge on a fatal flaw as a theory goes. 

Anita wants us to believe she just happened to find this account, 

No she wants you to believe she was tweeted them, you know, she was the target of said tweets, and so they came to her inbox originally she knew where to look for them because she was sent them, she knew they existed because she was sent them. This is not rocket science and if a large part of your 'theory' is how did a person sent a tweet know the tweets existed.... you might want to re-examine your theory. 

As for the length and the punctuation, John Epler (he of Bioware) was able to send out a similar number of tweets all well written, in a shorter time frame than that, and he said it wasn't even hard for him to do. Thats quite without the use of 'Copy paste'  and other short hands he could have used to make it easier on himself. In short the theory is... a stretch, and by a stretch I mean you need to be wanting it to be true to believe it to be true frankly. 

Common misunderstanding I don't think she ever claimed those where the tweets in question, and indeed I would suspect they are not, due to the fact that any threats she recieved that are enough to force her and her family out of their home would be a police matter, and generally the Police don't like you discussing an ongoing investigation. Those are just examples of what is a daily event for her now, and no 'Threats' are not a everyday happening online nor should we 'Accept' them as such even if they are. 

As for that erm... well it all seems to hinge on a fatal flaw as a theory goes. 

No she wants you to believe she was tweeted them, you know, she was the target of said tweets, and so they came to her inbox originally she knew where to look for them because she was sent them, she knew they existed because she was sent them. This is not rocket science and if a large part of your 'theory' is how did a person sent a tweet know the tweets existed.... you might want to re-examine your theory. 

As for the length and the punctuation, John Epler (he of Bioware) was able to send out a similar number of tweets all well written, in a shorter time frame than that, and he said it wasn't even hard for him to do. Thats quite without the use of 'Copy paste'  and other short hands he could have used to make it easier on himself. In short the theory is... a stretch, and by a stretch I mean you need to be wanting it to be true to believe it to be true frankly. 

It's not my theory, I just said "The funny part, is that their is rumors that she created the account herself in order to get funds for herself" nothing more on that "she done it to herself" thing. Also, about your "no 'Threats' are not a everyday happening online nor should we 'Accept' them as such even if they are. "  You don't see the entire conversations anti-bronies have with bronies, do you? I been threatened on MANY occasions on various sites just souly on my love for the mlp franchise. If you don't think threats are a everday thing online, then you must not be that social online,

Personally, I haven't been in favor of discussing, or even looking at this situation over the course of the past year, as nothing all that good had come from it. Without a doubt, death threats are nothing new on the internet. Just go to YouTube and look at literally any video where someone is expressing some sort of opinion and you'll probably find at least one death threat. Unless she has reason to believe there's more to it than internet trolls howling out from their caves, this is an overreaction.

That being said, this doesn't improve this situation any. This continued barrage of threats(the rape threats in particular)only serve to give her more ammo to take and fire off back at the gaming community. Unfortunately, it seems this is a scenario where the worst among us seem to be screaming the loudest. This sort of nonsense is not helping the overall reputation of the gaming community. I do not stand with Anita on the majority of the views she states in her videos, but I still think that this shit should have stopped a long time ago. People need to learn how to engage in something resembling legitimate debate, rather than reducing their arguments to basically "lol ur video sux ur ugly kill urself". I doubt these types of people have bothered to learn how to debate properly, and that would be fine if I thought that would ever change, but I doubt that as well.

It's not my theory, I just said "The funny part, is that their is rumors that she created the account herself in order to get funds for herself" nothing more on that "she done it to herself" thing. Also, about your "no 'Threats' are not a everyday happening online nor should we 'Accept' them as such even if they are. "  You don't see the entire conversations anti-bronies have with bronies, do you? I been threatened on MANY occasions on various sites just souly on my love for the mlp franchise. If you don't think threats are a everday thing online, then you must not be that social online,

The thing is, that there is a very different situation threats may come around but... hmm an example I read recently, a Male writer at a site was asked to check on one of his female co-workers in box while she was away on her holidays. Keep it from getting out of hand, the usual. He thought he had a pretty thick skin from the abuse he'd taken over the years as a writer. Until he opened his co-workers account and was shocked and appalled at what he saw' this is not uncommon.

That linked to article is not 'funny' because it happens every time, every time such abuse occurs, there will be those who come out and say 'It's a False flag' and they will put up those sort of attack pages, attacking and trying to lessen the impact of the attack. It's sick, it's twisted, and we shouldn't be giving it the time of day, put it this way, which would you rather be the case. You had put that up, and then something happened to her, or you didn't and it eventually turned out to indeed have been false? 

I think the second so don't do it. Don't play even without meaning to a part in something really ugly, and really nasty. No one should be subject to that abuse, I don't care if you agree or disagree with her, or anyone else in this subject, once rape and death threats are given out the only response to people who do that should be 'F**k off' then we can get back to actually discussing the subjects raised. That page through is part two of such attacks, first make them, then try and claim it's false flag, so you can keep making them and the victim gets the blame for your attack.

Edit to add Actually let me correct myself slightly, I do have a 'Side' I'm on but even folks who I agree with, if your sending Death Threats or rape threats of your own. Get stuffed, and F**k off

Here's an excellent article I recall reading some time ago with regards to the wider issue of the harassment that women in the industry face:  http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5926193/women-gaming-harassment

Personally, I think that's inarguable that women in the industry are typically a target for this sort of level of harassment/prejudice on a regular basis, (though of course it varies depending on their status and what in particular they're working on) and that the issue is fairly widespread as far as I can see. Now, as I'm sure anyone here can attest, we've all been attacked sometime in the past on the internet (or hell, multiplayer games for that matter!) and had to grow some thick skin over time to shrug off random, incoherent trolls as a result when discussing our opinions. But what sticks to me about this issue is in the harassment directed towards professional female members of the industry, the concept of having a "thick skin" to ward off harrassment/trolling etc. in this instance is more difficult because the context of this isn't some random, anonymous debate you’re having on some obscure gaming forum, which is pretty easy to shrug off, but personally directed towards your professional capacity/body of work and as a (female in this instance, though it's relevant to both genders) public member of the game industry, which in turn can lead to some pretty negative effects on their psyche over time.

It's inexcusable to send anyone (of both genders) death threats/rape threats etc. simply because you disagree with their opinion, doing so hinders whatever debate or argument you're espousing and perpetuates this idiotic stereotype of the imbecilic man-child gamer whom you should keep your kids from; it demeans the efforts of every good, level-headed and reasonable member of this community/industry.

Also, just to clarify, I think it was the fact that the person sending Anita the death threats was also aware of her home address that drove her to leave her home and call the police, though feel free to correct me on that as I'm basing that off the article above and one other I read a day or two ago.

PS: I don't have a particular opinion on the whole SJW etc. that flares up on the internet, but I do have a negative view of those who respond with such issues with abuse or harrassment simply because the other party presented their own opinions on the matter that conflicted with the responder.

99.99% of all death or rape threats on the internet will never be followed up on (not real statistics, just an estimation pulled out of my ass). It's really no reason to move. In fact, moving may only make it worse, considering it sends a message to the trolls that what they're doing is working.

The internet is full of assholes. They're all bark and no bite. That's what complete anonymity does to so many. If you find yourself on the receiving end of hate, the best thing to do is ignore it.

LSSJGamer, Gone too, Madman and 1 other like this

She moved and put out all that nonsense because of attention. It's always been about the attention and what she can get from it for her. It has nothing to do with wanting to change things or a love for gaming, which she has none of and there is video proof of this yet people continually shut their eyes and put there fingers in their ears and yell as loud as possible to ignore. If you think she means anything of what she talks about or any of this is serious then you've fallen for her con and good luck to you.

Gone too, Mexiguy and Variloh like this

The internet is full of assholes. They're all bark and no bite. That's what complete anonymity does to so many. If you find yourself on the receiving end of hate, the best thing to do is ignore it.

Agreed 100%, I think my point in my post above is that it's more difficult to ignore this kind of thing as a public figure (relatively speaking of course) then as an anonymous poster on some obscure forum (in which case it's par for the course).

99.99% of all death or rape threats on the internet will never be followed up on (not real statistics, just an estimation pulled out of my ass). It's really no reason to move. In fact, moving may only make it worse, considering it sends a message to the trolls that what they're doing is working.

Nobody is denying that it's insanely unlikely for someone to actually follow up on a threat, but I think what prompted Anita was the part where the person sending the death threats knew her home address. Whether you debate as to whether her response was overkill, you gotta admit that having someone send death threats and knowing the home address of the person they're sending them to is bound to make anyone skittish at the very least.

The point here is: These threats came from someone who know where she lives. That's way worse, than some random threat. I can fully understand her reaction, and I think it's the right one and the smart one.

However I also understand why one could believe, it's a flase flag. This story gets out the very day after she released a video, in which she claims, videogames would make men beat women. That's incredibly convinient from a PR point of view. Serkeesian used the threats of Internet trolls in the past pretty successfully, to make it look as if she had a point... as if being threatend somehow is an excuse for scientific dishonesty. And she was cought lying for the sake of PR in the past...

That said, I belief in 'in dubio pro reo' so without proof, that it is a false flag, I think we have to assume it isn't.

2ofSpades likes this

Death threats? Just buy a tank or learn explosive making, that'll keep the cunts away they're a bunch of cowards, yeah, I'm not a fan of the MATRIARCH movement ( they're not feminists you guys ) but going around threatening to rape people etc. is just fucking low and the people who did this should be ashamed of themselves.

There are people I think who are genuinely dangerous and psychotic because of their political and religious beliefs but I'm not so pathetic I'll go making death threats to them over the internet.

Agreed 100%, I think my point in my post above is that it's more difficult to ignore this kind of thing as a public figure (relatively speaking of course) then as an anonymous poster on some obscure forum (in which case it's par for the course).

Nobody is denying that it's insanely unlikely for someone to actually follow up on a threat, but I think what prompted Anita was the part where the person sending the death threats knew her home address. Whether you debate as to whether her response was overkill, you gotta admit that having someone send death threats and knowing the home address of the person they're sending them to is bound to make anyone skittish at the very least.

The interesting thing is it's not because of anonymity but because these are probably the same assholes everybody had to put up with in school, there was actually a guardian article about this that was mentioned to me awhile back and I'll see if I can find it. The people who do this don't change and the only difference is now they have the internet to do it to random strangers that they decide to attack.

So basically the same bastard who's trying to harass you through the internet is probably the same prick someone had to deal with in their school days and because they don't have anyone to target anymore they switch over to the internet.

Gone too likes this

Hell, I got threatened before. Over my beliefs, anime, people even threatened to rape me. Don't see me moving out of my house or playing the victim.

OH. MY. GOD. That's horrible! You don't need to worry about that here ms Sol. If there's ever anyone that dares to say that, just report to the mod.

Wow, you're a woman all along! Oh I'm so sorry about those things I said before ms Sol, especially the one where I said I want Tekken 7 to have a feature that lets you date the girls like in Persona 4. I didn't know that it's a touchy subject for you.

She's an awful person. But then the people threatening her should just learn to ignore her after all they're just fanning the flames and providing her with free publicity.

Everyone knows she's a liar and just using the cause to line her own pocket.

Bimpy782 and Madman like this

I need to correct myself, it wasn't Epler it was Aleen Schumacer who did the tweets of a similar length and in a similar time frame. hang on A Twit longer It's a good read on the subject of 'She faked them' some good points. I put Epler because I think I'd just come from giggling at him and Patrick Weekes and so his name was stuck in my head. 

OH. MY. GOD. That's horrible! You don't need to worry about that here ms Sol. If there's ever anyone that dares to say that, just report to the mod.

Wow, you're a woman all along! Oh I'm so sorry about those things I said before ms Sol, especially the one where I said I want Tekken 7 to have a feature that lets you date the girls like in Persona 4. I didn't know that it's a touchy subject for you.

Well, the dating sim thing wasn't a touchy subject. I just thought it was pretty dumb.

LOL Kaz, you suck up :P

Also why the hell would you want a dating sim in a fighting game? If you want a dating sim go play a dating sim.

It's a shame how shitty gaming communities can be. I don't like her, but this is asinine. Yet it's not just her I wouldn't take long to find out some of the awful things people have said about Totalbiscuit and him having cancer. If you talk about video games you're going to get death threats by foolish people. Unfortunately that's the world we live in today. Jim Stearling, Yatzee, Pew Die pie, the Bioware team after ME3  have all received them and frankly it doesn't matter which of them you like or not it needs to stop. 

Darvins likes this

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone has the right to disagree with those same opinions.  But death threats are ridiculous and in this case since it reached her front porch makes it a serious matter.  I don't know about her opinions.  All I have to go on is through the Angry Joe Top 10 Controversy video and what people are placing on this post.

Whether she wants to destroy gaming or change it is entirely her opinion.  She has more of a chance to change the gaming than the other, but if anything it's people making death threats which provide ammunition to destroy this industry that we all know and love.

I mean it is the truth, most games tend to make a woman a damsel in distress, or they may be over-sexualized in some way and I'm not the only guy who thinks so.  I'm not hating on the games that do this as long as it is done right.  Lollipop Chainsaw necessarily didn't appeal to me, mainly because the story sounded like shitBayonetta on the other hand had plenty of sexual themes in it, but in a way it was hot, the story was engaging, and the action was badass.  When it comes to actual sex within a video game, I don't want to see just sex, to me that can ruin the story.  I wanna see not only tension but sexual tension between characters, it makes the scene more rewarding and overall contributes to the awesomeness of the story within a game.  Though I thought the romance options in Mass Effect were cool (and I did take part in them) some of them had no tension.  Jack was one of my favorite female leads in the series and the romance made her look weak rather than empowered, Idk maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

Either way I have a family of my own, a wife and a daughter.  And being a father to a daughter makes you see things in another perspective, a perspective I lacked before I became a parent.  I want her to grow up around strong female influences and I don't want her to think she has to over-sexualize herself or become someone what society wants her to be, in order to be heard, to be loved.  But nor do I want her to make others feel weak and insignificant like she's the righteous hand of God or something like that.  Either way, I will never condone death threats or threats of rape and any dipshit who thinks otherwise deserves to be punched in the mouth, period.

Darvins likes this

LOL Kaz, you suck up :P

Also why the hell would you want a dating sim in a fighting game? If you want a dating sim go play a dating sim.

Haha, I'm just weak to girls that's all. :P

Here's a question, have you ever played Fire Emblem Awakening? Or Persona 4? If you have, then you'll know that those games have a great social system where you can socialise with every one of your party members and get to know them close, and even date them. It's awesome that there's 20 - 30 characters and all of them have unique interactions with one another, and fighting games don't have that system even though it has a potential to have one. Just look at Street Fighter IV or Dead or Alive V. Street Fighter IV's characters are just shallow plus there's no good definitive story to tie the game up together, and Dead or Alive V's story is hard to follow because it tries to be Mortal Kombat 9, but it does so by jumping to different characters and jump all over the timeline. These games should have a story mode where it's just about 1 or a few characters that are able to interact with the casts.

I just thought it was a shame that Tekken 6 has all those characters, but in that game they're just shallow characters that you just fight in Scenario Mode unless you experiment with different characters and see different dialogues each time. Tekken 7 should have like a little RPG mode or expansion to the Scenario mode like in the Naruto 3 game or Persona 4 where you can socialise with everyone or have a date except the villains. Or at least have a great story mode like in Blazblue. That'll add value and innovation to the game. I don't want it to be shallow like Soul Calibur 5 with just that pathetic 2 hour story mode.