• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ghaleon

Games you had/have fun with, but objectively... you don't see how.

13 posts in this topic

Regarding the title, I'm not talking about games you enjoy despite bad graphics and music and sound, etc. I'm talking mostly from a gameplay perspective, or a game that doesn't really do any single thing well enough to carry the rest of the game, yet you had fun for some reason. I personally feel this way with a couple games, games that people think are good. But when I tried them, I admit I was enjoying it, but really, if I had to review it, I don't see anything good I could say about it other than ___is fun____.

First off...legend of grimrock (1, haven't tried 2)... how can 1 be bad you may ask? How is it NOT good? Well... I LIKE dungeon crawlers to be frank, but when I really think about this game's gameplay...it's pretty stupid shallow... basically to succeed at this game you do the following:

1: strafe-walk, turn 180, strafe walk, repeat along EVERY EFFING WALL to make sure you see any hidden switches.

2: figure out what said hidden switches do when you find them... go there.

3: If an enemy reveals itself, flee to the nearest area that is at least 2x2 in size, and does not have multiple entrances from where you've ran from.

4: wait for enemy to move in front of you, attack, strafe, and turn 90 degrees one after the other as fast as possible (un-do the turn 90 degrees part if the enemy moves differently).

First off, I'm well aware that most people who are trying to put-down a game try to simplify the mechanics by summarizing things so much they lose context. Such as "run and shoot, run and shoot, kill kill kill, etc"...That's not my point here though. The thing is in Grimrock, killing, fighting, etc... It doesn't really require tactics, good character builds, smart equipment choices, efficient combo rotations... none of that shit.. it's all about simply moving one square away from the enemy as soon as it moves next to you, and attacking as you do so. It doesn't really matter what kind of enemy you face (except if they shoot you have to circle-strafe like I actually already assumed in my above description, otherwise simply moving backwards endlessly will do). You may argue the immersion carries the game, and.....I don't deny I have fun with it too. But when I really think about it, instead of enjoying the immersion, I'm just going "look at every wall, look for switch, does the other side have a switch? no? ok next wall" over and over and over.

Another game I'll mention is Atelier Rorona (haven't played the newer games), I wont go into such detail, but I'll just say reccettear seems to do everything better. But I enjoyed Rorona all the same for awhile.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 (and Ultimate).

Playstation All Stars.

That's about it.

Both were balanced horribly and had some bullshit things going on. But were fun if you got passed it.

Well, currently I'm having a fever and cold, so maybe that's why I find Drake of the 99 Dragons kind of fun. This game is filled with so many problems, but I got used to the game's ridiculousness and I have fun with it. I'm almost at the end of the game, and for some reason the game got better.

Most old school side scrolling beat-em-ups (Streets of Rage, Final Fight etc)

There's just something really therapeutic and mindless about them that I enjoy despite the fact that 90% of them are identical. (At some point there will be a fat guy who breathes fire in all these games . IT IS INEVITABLE)

Dark Souls 2.

A piece of gold smothered in shit but the shit tastes so good.

All the recent EA games I've played, so Sims 4, SimCity(2014), and DA:I. I've had identical experiences with each game, where I'm sitting there going "Yawn, is that all there is to this game?" and yet I'm still playing it day after day.

Harem party XD. Best and worst 45$ I have ever accidently payed for a game..If you need to ask I thought it was a cute dating sim and not a h-game lol 

Warframe
RNG is this game Sucks (Prime Parts, Duh!), But I keep playing because you can play as Space Ninja and killing bad dudes. Oh, you also customize you Arsenal but mostly you must pay real money for it.

ProfessorOaked likes this

I used to derive joy from the glitch ridden mess that is Army Men when I was younger. I recently tried to play Army Men: Sarge's Heroes again and thought "man, I must have been retarded or something."

For whatever reason, I love Shadow the Hedgehog. I understand and agree with every complaint for that game but for some reason I enjoyed playing through it. I haven't played it recently so I'm not sure if it was child me enjoying it without understanding/ noticing the faults with the game. Child me did love the shit out of that game, though. 

Would have to agree...Dark Souls 2 and Warframe. I still enjoyed them however they tend to have weaker mechanics or in the case of Dark Souls 2, mechanics ripped from previous games that don't hold up on their own.

Destiny

I got it when I got my PS4 out of excitement. As with many others, found it to be disappointing through playing it. But until the PS4 version of GTA 5 came out, I didn't play anything else but that, even when I had other games available.

Don't know if it's because I wanted to get my money's worth, since I got the version that also came with the DLC, but I stuck with the game. Eventually grouping up with some AJSA community members to do stuff like the raid.