• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickyzhere

AngryJoe Plays Bloodborne!

14 posts in this topic

was watching it live and i must say it was hard to watch them both play this game hahah i more like Delrith playing it, its not that painfull watching him play it lol :D

Shame I missed it. Oh well. Sucks that he probably won't review it but at least this is nice.

That video on Youtube is the jist of it, he didn't get far. Don't think he even saw the Cleric Beast.

That video on Youtube is the jist of it, he didn't get far. Don't think he even saw the Cleric Beast.

No he did see the Cleric Beast that's in the video, he got destroyed by the thing. XD

No he did see the Cleric Beast that's in the video, he got destroyed by the thing. XD

Ah, well either way, he didn't get very far. But he and Other Joe still had a pretty good time.

This the first bloodborne video I watched and so far it looks good. I heard some people say it's alot quicker than darksouls or something (in terms of combat attack speed and such) but that didn't look to be the case at all.

Just curious, is the 'world' in bloodborne like darksouls 1 where it's all connected seamlessly? or is it like dark souls 2 where it isn't and they try to hide the fact with conveniently placed towers and walls and long tunnels you go thru so you can't really look back/below to where you were. (and then proven they didn't even bother trying at all with the whole windmill/forge area).

This the first bloodborne video I watched and so far it looks good. I heard some people say it's alot quicker than darksouls or something (in terms of combat attack speed and such) but that didn't look to be the case at all.

Just curious, is the 'world' in bloodborne like darksouls 1 where it's all connected seamlessly? or is it like dark souls 2 where it isn't and they try to hide the fact with conveniently placed towers and walls and long tunnels you go thru so you can't really look back/below to where you were. (and then proven they didn't even bother trying at all with the whole windmill/forge area).

With the combat, you don't have to worry about weight so you can pretty much move pretty quickly. Your attack speed is going to depend on the weapon you're using. I suppose the reason that it might feel faster for some is the mechanic that when you get hit, you can still regain some health back by getting hits in on enemies.

As for the world, I'm not sure that I've seen any, as Woolie and/or Pat from the Super Best Friends put it, Impossible Space. You can get to a high enough space, like the stairs leading up to the Grand Cathedral, look down  and you'll be able to say "Hey, that's where I was a while ago".  Apart from that instance when

An enemy looked like it killed me, only for me to wake up in some sort of prison, and I had to find that lamp to fast travel the heck out of there.

It looks like you can actually go from area to area just by walking and running. Though I've read that it's applicable to that area that I mentioned in the spoilers too. Though some have said that once you get to a certain point, the place you've been becomes a JPEG in the background.

These are however from the point of view of someone who has had very little experience with the Souls games. I've only beaten the Phalanx in Demon's Souls, watched the entirety of the Super Best Friend's Let's Play of Dark Souls 2 (which is the reason I get that Windmill reference), and have only recently started on Dark Souls 1, which I play only if the TV is unavailable, or I'm watching something on Netflix or Hulu on the TV.

What I also love about Bloodborne is that unless you ring a bell to call out to other players, you can't be invaded by some other player who's out for your ass.

you can make it so you aren't invaded in all the previous souls games too simply by playing offline, though you'll miss out on the goofy ghosts running to their death thing, but frankly I don't think that's too big a loss since 90% of the time you just see some guy seemingly have a heart attack as they run thru a doorway, and as you do the same there's nothing to do the same to you, so I imagine they were fighting a losing battle, attempted to run away, and got killed at the doorway kind of deal. That and just running off a cliff that you don't need a ghost to tell you is fatal.

Thanks for the info though, even with a jpg used at some point, as long as it's remotely accurate to how it would look I'll take that over dark souls 2 giant tunnels/towers/cliffsides blocking the view every time strategy.

Anyway, according to Pat from the Super Best Friends Zaibatsu, this game's world is much more like Dark Souls 1's.

He says it pretty early in this video. It also has their reactions to new mechanics present in Bloodborne.

Also on the PvP front, I've just found out that some areas actually have an enemy that activates that bell thing and enables you to be invaded until you find and kill her. The same npc enemy that shows up when you start Co-Op.

Though I wonder what happens to that NPC's function if you choose the Offline option when you start the game.

sigh...I hate it when New systems are still new and expensive and has a game or two I want but not enough for me to invest in the system yet. Worst part of being a low-income gamer.

Ok, having tried some Dark Souls again, I can say that because of the weight, your character's movement in Dark Souls can be sluggish. Bloodborne doesn't have this mechanic. I guess this is also why the combat in Bloodborne feels much faster paced than Dark Souls, and I prefer Bloodborne's much better.

I do notice that the dash ability in bloodborne is faster with a lower cooldown yes. But I still think the swing speeds for weapons looks approximately the same. Granted I haven't seen bloodbornes equivilent of the meat cleaver or black knight greatsword or whatever but the starting weapons I've seen people use that are 1handed so far seem approximately as quick in terms of time between swings and whatnot as generic shortsword/longsword/broadswords in dark souls IMO. I don't know if there is a complete lack of slower weapons, or if there are ones significantly faster (though dark souls have faster ones too like rapiers) however. Also, I don't know how you or everyone else plays, but I've never ever found it EVER worth wearing more than 50% weight in dark souls. it's one of my gripes with the game frankly. Armor is just not GOOD enough to justify that slowdown aside from stacking poise for pvp or something.

Speaking of which, I DO hope armor in this game is more important than simply being for fashion, and don't tell me no that's bad because then the game would be too easy. That's a cop out.. you can make armor important and have the game not be too easy. Hell, make it so you take more damage across the board for all I care, and that the best armor makes it so you're as fragile as you would be regardless for all I care. I just think it's a waste that it means so little compared to weapons when truth is a fully armored dude with a dagger is most likely more than capable of mauling 3 unarmored people with large swords unless they were specifically trained to combat armored opponents.

Even the forge/upgrade options for armor are super limited in the souls games compared to weapons.

That said, I can understand if bloodborne specifically is not like this, simply because the setting doesn't seem to be the sort featuring heavy armor styles like other souls games... doh.