• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

How do I enjoy role playing games?

15 posts in this topic

I was never really big on role playing games growing up, I played a few games with a really rich lore and backstory, but role playing games never really appealed to me, honestly.
If I ever play an RPG, I always end up getting bored pretty quickly.

I'm open to playing RPG's, I see people really enjoying games like skyrim, and I want to experience that.
So I pose the question to RPG players:

How 'into' your RPG's do you get?
What's so appealing about RPG's?

(unfortunately, googling 'Why is roleplaying appealing' gives me a very different set of results)

Are we talking tabletop, 1st person style (TES) or divinity/dragon age style / MMO`s (LOTR)/SWTOR)?

For me the answers the same, its the imagination you can put into it, creating a story and making context where there is none and/or just exploring the world and being engrossed into a new experience / world / way of looking at things that is in the games. 

Griever likes this

I just like them more than multi-player games, because they are more engaging for me

If you do not enjoy it you don't. No big deal. I don't enjoy fps (with two or three exceptions).

I got into rpg's when i found installed on my cousin's pc TES:Arena and i made a story of my own cause back in the 1996 i couldn't speak a word of english and that's how i was absorbed by this genre, making my own lore beside every location and giving myself the goals i wanted to chase.
Now, if you really want to, you need to find a good balance of action and depth:

have you tried Dark Souls or any well rated action RPG?

If you really want a story of your own or a more classical approach instead of a more action packed game you should try a crpg (old or new, there are only a few that i wouldn't reccomend, Inquisitor is a bloody nightmare if you don't love the genre and Planescape Torment, while for many is a masterpiece, is kind of an odd one focusing almost entirely on the story and way less on the gameplay) but they are really slow to play and can take a ton of time and are sometimes too much of a time sinker to deal with (i still have to finish Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity is staring at me from my library).

If you're more interested in tabletops i can't help, never got into them because i never had any friend to play with.

ViralBunny likes this

It's quite complicated explaining why exactly I find RPGs appealing, I can mostly summarize it like this:

- Immersion: RPGs have worlds with so much detail you get lost in them.

- Lore: This one is connected to immersion, the backstory in most of this games sells you the idea of exploring worlds rich in story.

- Gameplay: It depdends on which series or type of RPG is, I mostly look for gameplay that is fun and engaging.

- Story: The story makes or breaks this genre, RPGs with solid gameplay fall short of anything if the story is bad.

- Lenght: RPGs guarantee hours upon hours of gaming for the money I pay. (This one is the least important and mostly just personal to me)

I can recommend some games: The Souls series is good combination of action and RPG elements, quite hard too. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout have exploration and great worlds. The Dragon Age series have a very interesting story and world, though gameplay varies with each game.

RPG is a genre that really caters to different tastes depending on what game you get. Segregating WRPG and JRPG however is NOT the correct way to do it.

There are RPG games that act as dungeon crawlers, these generally suit the same tastes as those people who like roguelikes (not neccesarily roguelites) and such.

Then there are RPGs that are more story driven, some of which have decent battle mechanics, some have really forgettable ones. Note that the stories need not be deep, serious or intellectual. Neptunia for example is one such that is story driven, rather than try to have a story like game of thrones or whatever, it goes for a more Seinfeld approach with heavy doses of moe.

Then there are the grid-tactics rpg games which are good for people who want to play something like a figurine game on a computer with story and progression.

I suggest you identify what you're lookingfor most and just focusing on that area of RPGs rather than targeting big names amongst the entire genre like final fantasy 7 and mass effect or whatever.

It's quite easy really. You pick someone you want to role play as, and go with that. 

If that get's boring you could always pick something new to roleplay as.

That's how i spent almos 200 hours on skyrim.

That's what's the most appealing thing for me at least.

If you're not in to that, then RPGs maybe are not for you.

I believe the type of RPG dictates the feel. If I get into say Mass Effect I expect a certain type of RPG to come from that however if I get into Jade Coccoon then again, my mindset changes to fit this different style of RPG. 

If you are looking to get into RPG's I would recommend a number of different style of RPGs. These range from different types of story telling to styles of gameplay etc.

• Witcher
  • Mass Effect
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Final Fantasy Zero
  • Zelda A Link to the Past
  • Path of Exile
  • Wasteland 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Divinity Original Sin
  • Valkyrie Chronicles 
  • Demon's Souls
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Persona 4
  • Chrono Trigger

I believe the type of RPG dictates the feel. If I get into say Mass Effect I expect a certain type of RPG to come from that however if I get into Jade Coccoon then again, my mindset changes to fit this different style of RPG. 

If you are looking to get into RPG's I would recommend a number of different style of RPGs. These range from different types of story telling to styles of gameplay etc.

• Witcher
  • Mass Effect
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Final Fantasy Zero
  • Zelda A Link to the Past
  • Path of Exile
  • Wasteland 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Divinity Original Sin
  • Valkyrie Chronicles 
  • Demon's Souls
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Persona 4
  • Chrono Trigger

Next time I think you should start with Chrono Trigger, it's simple to get in to, has a good story, perfect example of a multiple ending type game and is also still visually pleasing. Mass Effect is also one you shouldn't recomend to beginners, it's very clunky, and it didn't really age well even though it's not that old.

RPGs have you assuming the role of a character or a cast of characters and following their story through one of various worlds. A good RPG can be viewed like an interactive book where you get to experience their story and/or explore their world. The way the game plays can be wildly different though like some others here have already stated but the basis remains the same. Exploration and/or deep story telling with character customization through the use of equip-able gear, character statistics that can range from how strong they are to how well they influence others, or even allow you to make a character in the image that you would like them to be.

The thing that roots me the most in RPGs though, are the deep and compelling stories that are told. I liken it to reading a really good book, binge watching your favorite series, or watching a really good movie but being able to actually interact with the characters rather than just watching their story unfold. You get to take on the role of that character. Role play in the game :D   

All great games have what I like to call "The Empowerment Factor" and RGS have it in spades. To not be you and instead be a Dragon born nordic warrior is very appealing.

regarding the story, even if the story isn't anything special, the characters can sometimes make up for it.

On another note, should try both western rpgs and jrpgs. They tend to have fairly different takes on rpgs regarding what keeps showing up in their games.

it also depends what kind of rpg theme you want so to speak. Do you want to create an avatar of yourself and immerse yourself that way or follow the story of already existing characters that already have a backstory and goals

"How 'into' your RPG's do you get?
What's so appealing about RPG's?"

The RPG experience entirely depends on what type of RPG game you play, so for you in order to enjoy an RPG game, you'll first have to ask yourself, what's the main thing you really like about a game? because there are plenty of RPGs, and it goes like this : story and gameplay.

What do you like best in a game, and how would you like to immerse yourself into it? would you like to follow the story, or is the gameplay really addictive?

RPGs can have good stories, and a fun and addicting gameplay, or it can be vice versa or even mixed.

To me, it's more about the story, let's take for example the Dragon age series, were you have the liberty to costumize your character however you like, and choose different background stories (what is the place your character came from), and from then on, you write your story yourself.

There are plenty RPG type games, that let's you make your character, and then follow his story, or make the story yourself, and see how your character evolves, and how it affects the universe around him (like SW: KOTOR)

And there are also RPGs that aren't as focused on your character, but more about exploring the universe and the lore, see the story of other characters, which makes the game, sort of like a book.

Every rpg game is beautiful in its own way, you just have to pick the one that suits your gaming needs best.

Every rpg beautiful in jts own way?

Liees. The 7th saga is an awful horrible game that leaves me with trauma to this day.

I still felt the need to complete it though =p

RPGs tend to rely more on the player's imagination than anything else. It's more about the stories (that maybe you made up) than the game itself, although gameplay helps a lot, many of the first computer games were RPGs because they didn't have to care much about the visuals and stuff, only on the writing. 

But, you don't HAVE to force yourself to like it. People are entitled to an opinion. You can say you don't like RPGs. You don't have to force yourself to be integrated in this demographic. I for one don't like sports games like PES.