• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DemonsColt

How far would game companies go to destroy a franchise?

24 posts in this topic

How far would game companies go to destroy a franchise?

This is off-topic if anything. What are you intending to get as a response to this?

DemonsColt likes this

This is off-topic if anything. What are you intending to get as a response to this?

This would be off-topic? Crap.

Well, if any mods can move this over to off-topic, that would be appreciated.

As for the response, just try to answer the question.

I don't find that question THAT interesting, i mean, there isn't any real interesting answer you can get from it.

How far would YOU go to destory a game franchise, though? If you could get millions of dollars for the rest of your life? Would you? Probably yes, and most of the people would.

This question is very easy to ask when you are not in the skin of the people that is ABLE to do it, but if you were able, and you knew the consequences, you may be able to answer totally different.

DemonsColt likes this

To the very end.

They will remove the core gameplay mechanics that made the games popular in the first place. (Command & Conquer)

Or take a huge dump on the franchise name and fanbase all together. (Dungeon keeper mobile).

DemonsColt likes this

Ask Square Enix. *coughLightningReturnscough*

DemonsColt and like this

I don't see any reason for this to be moved to off-topic. This seems like a genuine question. 

DemonsColt likes this

This would be off-topic? Crap.

Are you trying to start a discussion or a game?

If you just want humorous answers it would be a forum game. If you want to actually talk about this you should post more if you're starting the thread.

DemonsColt likes this

Well, in terms of AAA companies, they don't exactly destroy franchises, there are a number of fates:

- Milk it to the point that you don't turn the same profits because you alienated the fan-base, then shutter or sell IP.

- Make a new IP, but it doesn't sell well, so they just sit on the IP rights until they find a suitable buyer, or make a new installment in the future if needed.

- Alternatively, they buy an IP from its creator who is in need of cash to develop the game of their dream, turn the creator's original vision of the game into a cash-making DRM-riddled abomination (I'm looking at you Spore), proceed to milk it and then sit on the IP once its not profitable.

- Purposely sabotage game development with bad decisions and unrealistic deadlines, like Battlefront 3

Apex Spartan and DemonsColt like this

Ask Square Enix. *coughLightningReturnscough*

Don't forget about Ubisoft and Konami! :P

ask EA, they have done it mutiple times over the years

and Ysnar like this

Games we know and love, by the end of the day are still 'products and services' and with that comes every opportunity of the company that sells them to make more money. Let's say something like Silent Hill P.T. for example. It wasn't treated as a game by Konami and instead it was treated as a mere product they can remove with a whim. They did not care whether it was a piece of history or a landmark in gaming but a mere toy they could take away from everyone. Unless we can elevate video games from being 'just a toy' into a work of art in the eyes of everyone, these companies will continue to disrespect their own titles and the hardwork of truly good game developers out there. 

They did not care whether it was a piece of history or a landmark in gaming but a mere toy they could take away from everyone. Unless we can elevate video games from being 'just a toy' into a work of art in the eyes of everyone, these companies will continue to disrespect their own titles and the hardwork of truly good game developers out there. 

These companies disrespect their titles because its all about the money, something doesn't sell well? Ditch it, sell the IP or mothball the project for years and try again later.  In their eyes, they think that if they keep on 'dedicating' things to their fans, they might lose out on profits.  However, as companies do this, they lose trust.  There was a time when many of us would mindlessly preorder (or buy without checking reviews) from certain developers and publishers.  Now we simply don't trust them, even if they make a kick-ass GOTY product.

A somewhat unrelated example, look at Steam, and the paid mod debacle (aka modgate) that took place, in that short timeframe, some fans lost trust that Gaben had been earning for at least a decade... to the point that they're looking for alternative platforms to buy their games from.

The most powerful tool that they'll listen to... that will 'elevate' gaming is money.  Gaming has been elevated a lot since the last crash, when it was on its knees in its death throes.  Now its up there with TV and film... and it will continue to grow as more and more people from the late generation X and millenials come of age and start spending their earnings on games.  Attitudes to video games will also change, as there will be more people in society who grew up with video games.

Companies need to know that a great game alone is enough to earn them truck loads of cash. There's no need for dishonesty in trailers, overhyped advertisements (which often leads to a downgrade) or paid reviews which hurts them in the long run. They spend huge amounts of cash to market these games yet they don't have the confidence to show us what they really have. Thus, their expenditure accumulates until any success of the game would look meager because their marketing cost is too high. Then, to get back some of the money they threw away we get unneeded DLCs, and ridiculous in-game stores. Even worse, sometimes the games are sold unfinished and come to consumers as utter garbage. Remove overspending for advertisements, paid reviews, and  maybe even cut down on some of your VA choices (we know some companies hire high profile actors to voice characters to attract more audience) and I believe companies will find that their success is enough to pay everyone and more. An example of this is Square Enix saying that Tomb Raider failed to hit their expectations despite selling over 3.4 million copies. Compare this to Dark Souls that only sold 2.3m copies, a feat considerably smaller than the 3.4m of Tomb Raider, yet From Software considered it a success while Square Enix doesn't. Companies need to know that a good game doesn't need to be overly decorated to sell, it's not a barbie doll that needs all the make up and accessories for children to like. A great game itself is a treasure to be cherished.

Ysnar likes this

Are you trying to start a discussion or a game?

If you just want humorous answers it would be a forum game. If you want to actually talk about this you should post more if you're starting the thread.

This is not a game.

As for Wade, both.

Companies need to know that a great game alone is enough to earn them truck loads of cash. There's no need for dishonesty in trailers, overhyped advertisements (which often leads to a downgrade) or paid reviews which hurts them in the long run.

But that is the biggest issue in the AAA industry now. Game devs got lazy. It's easier to make a overhyped and dishonest trailer and it's cheaper than making a great looking game, with great story and gameplay. And it's just easier to milk franchises and it's much cheaper since they know people will buy them anyways and that devs will earn more than they spent.

Specially with the preorder hypes all over. Many people preorder and don't refund on time or can't and the devs already have the cash in their pocket so they don't give a shit about making a good game. Sadly. :(

I hate to be the dick and be like "Triple A industry sucks" and I also hate to be the guy to say, "Well this trailer is fake, we all know the game is gonna suck". Despite all the shit that's happening which involves graphical downgrade and fake hypes, I still try to stay positive and support the companies I love as long as they didn't lie to everyone. But sadly the thing I said above is now a big thing in the AAA industry right now.

Kyouko Suehara likes this

Companies need to know that a great game alone is enough to earn them truck loads of cash.

You make a lot of valid points... but the problem is that great games need a lot of effort, and especially in the last few years, AAA development costs have skyrocketed... almost rivalling movie budgets.  So companies are trying to make shortcuts by throwing the consumer interests under the bus (DLC, DRM, microtransactions etc) for theirs ($$$).  The only way they will learn is when their annual cash-ins installments start to become unprofitable... then they will either start revising the way they operate or simply leave the industry altogether and go into something related like gambling/mobile games.

You always hear rumors of companies trying to sink an IP to leverage another or developers having control rights issues so they impeded production but honestly, I feel a game is a labor of love. Developers and some publishers pour everything they have into the product. They may have issues but seldom have I seen a game I felt truly remove what made the original so great. 

Yes the bottom line is money however what one fan's "intentional or unintentional sabotage" of "their" favorite series is another's greatest joy. 

In the end your dollar counts for more than you know, so does word of mouth. Hold off on pre-orders because publishers watch those first. Wait for reviewers, let's players, and streamers take a crack at it. Pull from more than one source for a review. If you are concerned about missing out on a pre-order bonus (and it is PC) then you have 14 days after it releases on Steam (possibly other online sites as well) to get your money back. 

Better to miss those five dollar pre-order bonuses versus losing sixty dollars on a game you do not like.

Ysnar likes this

But that is the biggest issue in the AAA industry now. Game devs got lazy. It's easier to make a overhyped and dishonest trailer and it's cheaper than making a great looking game, with great story and gameplay. And it's just easier to milk franchises and it's much cheaper since they know people will buy them anyways and that devs will earn more than they spent.

It seems that for most people nowadays it's either a video game dies as an impressive bull or milked long enough to become a sloppy cow. Though imho milking something is fine as long as the milk is delicious and everyone gets to have some. It's always an ethical requirement in business that "everyone must have a slice of the pie and the pie must be damn good!" If the game sequels (reboots or prequels) continue to be good, and the consumers don't feel oppressed then I'm fine with buying some more of that milk. I say this because I've talked to some people who scorned me for playing Bloodborne just because it was largely similar to Dark Souls. It's like there's a hive mind now going "If it's done before then it's done bad!" which for me is just weird. The same people are discouraging me from wanting a Last of Us sequel (I really want to know what happens to Ellie) because "it's just gonna be another milk cow" and that if I buy I will be tolerating an awful practice.  I'm happy to see that games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is here to show us that not every company out there is willing to destroy their franchise and that not everything with a number in the title is bad. It's a nice refreshing drink that rehydrates my faith in the industry... just before another CoD nukes it again for xth time.

Ye know, Its alot better (In my opinion) To make a good, honest (Trailer) and rememberable game, gives your company +Points, which will give you fans, which will hype your franchise, which means more money. But if you make a sloppy game, and make fake trailers and stuff to hype it, and turns out to be bad, your company will have -Points and a low fanbase. Which will make your franchise sell less. Which road will you choose?

Sadly the sloppy way still exists, in the gaming industry, and gets used quite often :huh:

But if you make a sloppy game, and make fake trailers and stuff to hype it, and turns out to be bad, your company will have -Points and a low fanbase. Which will make your franchise sell less. Which road will you choose?

Sadly the sloppy way still exists, in the gaming industry, and gets used quite often :huh:

Believe it or not, there are hordes of dedicated fans who will preorder/purchase any game thats made, sloppy or not.  What they lack in common sense, they make up with their wallets.