• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raspharus

Looking to get into strategy games

13 posts in this topic

Well until November comes, we all know that the triple A market is pretty stale. Well sure there is a Witcher 3 expansion coming, but thats coming in 2 weeks. Having run short on games to play, I was thinking of giving a chance to strategy games. Don't get me wrong i've always like a battle of strategy/wits/intelligence, but never got around to play any strategy games. 

This being said, can you guys recommend some strategy games, for a begginer perhaps? I don't mind the genre, either 4X or rts, tbs and whatnot.

For 4X i'd recommend getting Civ V complete edition and Age wonder III.

If you're looking to get into RTS, all of the Command & conquer games (expect for 4) are good options.

If you're looking for a hybrid game, Age of empires, Rise of nations and Total war shogun 2 are good RTS/4X hybrids.

baronrouker likes this

Age of Empires 2 and Civilization 5 are the first two that come to my mind.

Age of Empires being a classic, something I grew up with. And Civilization being something you can just lose time in without noticing.

I was thinking of starting with an RTS maybe. What about warhammer 40k?

Civilization 4 and 5, Endless Space, Endless Legend, Age of Wonders series, Company of Heroes, Warhammer Dawn of War 1 and 2. Red Alert 2 is free on Origin. GMG has a sale on Sins of a Solar Empire.

baronrouker likes this

Can't believe Starcraft hasn't been mentioned yet. (1 or 2. Both are incredible.)

As far as Command and Conquer goes, Tiberian Sun is my favorite.

Civ V is pretty damn great.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War is a really good military strategy, as are the Command & Conquer games, Dune 200 (just get OpenRA) and Company of Heroes. If you're into economics I'd recommend the Settlers or Stronghold series. 4X is basically dominated by Civilization, but Sins of a Solar Empire is supposed to be good too. There are also grand strategy games like Total War, Hearts of Iron, and Europa Universalis. There are also the kind of strange ones like Divinity: Dragon Commander which blend RTS genres. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth is a great series if you can get that, and Grand Ages: Rome is an amazing economic/military strategy game.

StarCraft 1 and 2 are good games. You can even try StarCraft 2 out for free. If you have questions about SC2, feel free to ask.

I agree with civ, age of wonders, rise of nations, sins of a solar empire... Im sure more.

But wtf... Nobody said xcom!?

I second both Starcraft games as well as Sins of  Solar Empire, though with sins be careful. I once got so into a game I played the extra long round for 12 hours. . . . so pay attention to a clock.

I agree with civ, age of wonders, rise of nations, sins of a solar empire... Im sure more.

But wtf... Nobody said xcom!?

Really, if you're looking at Civ, you're going to see Xcom.

Nows the time to get starcraft 2. Legacy of the Void launches in November and considering the last 2 campaigns it looks to be absolutely amazing.