• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mr_E_Meatshield

IBM Japan Just Funded a VR MMO Inspired by Sword Art Online

31 posts in this topic

IBM announced today something rather interesting: Sword Art Online The Beginning Project, a “virtual MMO project” in collaboration with Kadokawa, Bandai Namco, Apniplex and more, inspired by the popular anime series.

Not much is known at the moment, besides the fact that the project uses IBM’s cloud computing tech SoftLayer, and aims to explore the idea of using cognitive computing (the simulation of human thought processes in a computerized model) for the future of gaming.

Apparently, the prototype utilizes body motions to control movement in game. The protagonists of the anime Kirito and Asuna are also involved in some form, retaining their original voice actors.

The project, that has a teaser website and a trailer that you can see below, is recruiting 208 alpha tester in the Tokyo metropolitan area for a test to be held between March 18th and March 20th.

Source

Dyzzles likes this

One hopes Bandai Namco teams up with Tokyopop to make .Hack//'s "The World" a VR MMO as well.

Call me paranoid if you want to but a VR MMO based on anime about a VR MMO where a you die in real life if you are killed in game.....  I don't know about this.......

I need this in my life now. 

Call me paranoid if you want to but a VR MMO based on anime about a VR MMO where a you die in real life if you are killed in game.....  I don't know about this.......

I really don't get why Sword Art Online gets more attention than .Hack//. They're almost the exact same thing, but for some reason .Hack// died out in 2008 outside Japan. Why?

I really don't get why Sword Art Online gets more attention than .Hack//. They're almost the exact same thing, but for some reason .Hack// died out in 2008 outside Japan. Why?

I think maybe because SAO have more appealing to mainstream and casual people. Hack// comes when internet still not at big as today, only some people talked about it. SAO comes when internet become easier, cheaper and quiker to access, so word of mouth and people sharing info is make SAO more popular (Free download,Streaming,Fan art,Forum,etc). 

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Raspharus likes this

Sword Art is part harem. That's why.

Also

maxresdefault.jpg

2and900 likes this

Sword Art is part harem. That's why.

Also

maxresdefault.jpg

So it appeals to the 12 year olds of the world. Got it.

So it appeals to the 12 year olds of the world. Got it.

If only

I also read they plan on 3D scanning player's bodies or faces to make their in-game character look as close to the player as possible. While a nifty idea, I'm not as intimidating or cool looking in real life as the characters I customize (although they do look similar).

I think that would be cool as a starting or reference point but allow customization after as I tend to like to add in tattoos and some scars.

It's because of the sexual part of the first story of the web novel. It was first become a hit because of that part where supposedly the main protagonist had sex with the main heroine when they're stuck in a game, and the writer make the sex scene written in more detail (basically hentai). The hype over that is what led me into checking it out. But, in the end of the story of the first season, i for one just can't get past the lacklusterness of the story, considering there are plenty stories of the same plot (death on MMO = death in real life type of plot) that's much much better and intriguing to watch, such as .Hack//.

Anyway, i have to strongly disagree with anyone who says .Hack// as anything at the level of SAO....Hack// is way above. That one was simply epic. .Hack// was and still is the overall best of that type of story i ever watch/read.

*Off-Topic* 

(basically hentai)

That's not what Hentai is, contrary to popular belief. Just because majority think that's what it is doesn't make it so.

---

Source material aside, a VR MMO may be an interesting idea. We could be taking the first steps into that game world from "Ready Player One" (not speaking of the quality of the book, but the idea behind the game world of said book).

And let's be real here, the whole "Die in-game, die in real life" is still a ways off from the kind of VR this may be.

*Off-Topic* 

That's not what Hentai is, contrary to popular belief. Just because majority think that's what it is doesn't make it so.

---

Source material aside, a VR MMO may be an interesting idea. We could be taking the first steps into that game world from "Ready Player One" (not speaking of the quality of the book, but the idea behind the game world of said book).

And let's be real here, the whole "Die in-game, die in real life" is still a ways off from the kind of VR this may be.

Ehhh. I mean if gaming fully converts in like 10 years or so to full VR(like coupled with motions and stuff), where you live inside I game, I might quit the damn thing. It's really not my type of shit. Call me old fashioned but I prefer more the monitor/tv and keyboard/controller medium rather than VR(which is way too intrusive for my taste)

So you are telling me that they are working on this VR ala Sword Art online,

so I can recreate myself as busty a anime chick with a manly voice?

Should I do some drugs?

This sounds awesome. It looks legit. Have to wonder though how long it will be before I even have a chance to get my hands on it. Because an immersive Virtual Reality MMO, no matter what series it's inspired by or built on the idea of, is the first step needed for ALL of the shows with that core aspect.

If this succeeds, it can be our actual Dot Hack, or our Log Horizon, or Sword Art Online. People can meet each other in cyberspace in a literal way. See places and things in a way that would be as similar as seeing with our own eyes. The possibilities are endless. And with that... the dangers.

How 'realistic' will something like this be? How immersive? People flip out as is with jump scares in horror games. How bad will it be if you're playing something like this, feeling as if you're physically there, and something the size of a tree comes barreling towards you? It'd be like getting mentally hit by a car. Or if/when someone makes a sort of war based version, like VR Call of Duty, will people be leaving that game mentally scarred? 

I think the risk is worth the reward personally. And this game sounds like the real first stepping stone to such a thing. Wish I could be a part of it.

On a side note, why 208? Seems like an oddly specific number.

This, wait about a year after it comes out to see if any reports of people dying surface.

I don't want to play a game that I cannot log out and stuck in the game world.

Ehhh. I mean if gaming fully converts in like 10 years or so to full VR(like coupled with motions and stuff), where you live inside I game, I might quit the damn thing. It's really not my type of shit. Call me old fashioned but I prefer more the monitor/tv and keyboard/controller medium rather than VR(which is way too intrusive for my taste)

In the book, the game is also playable on regular PC's, laptops and such. VR is just another way to play the game, but not the only method to do so.

Wait, do you mean I can finally live out my dream of being a kawaii 12 year old school girl with wings and a magic stick in my hand? 

GLXLynx and Crazycrab like this

Hype is happening. I just need a VRMMORPG seems fun

Interesting, but VR makes me feel uneasy(anyone read The Veldt?). My point is VR can be dangerous to the human mind (strong willed or not), and hackers are always drooling towards new technology. If they want, they can create a real SAO or worse.

Raspharus likes this