• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Aquila

Worst gaming Betrayals

31 posts in this topic

Has there ever been a game that came out that just made you lose all hope in a franchise? Maybe you were looking forward to it and bought too much into the hype, or maybe it was something that utterly pissed on the legacy of its predecessors. Maybe the game was just so bad and so boring that it just sucked all the fun right out of you and put you into a depression. Let's talk about it, shall we?

I think Assassin's Creed 3 was the biggest betrayal for me in recent history. It was a buggy, rushed out the door piece of trash that had very few memorable characters and even fewer actual memory sequences. It was basically just "how can we shoehorn Connor into various American Revolution events". There were periods of time that were just glossed over because they didn't have enough characters to fill out a game like Assassin's Creed 2, and it was at a point in history that was defined more by politics than people actually killing each other. I've played the series pretty much from beginning to end, and I've never been more frustrated or disappointed with a game since... well probably since Saints Row the Third. Speaking of which...

I think Saints Row the Third was more of a betrayal for me as it took a lot of aspects I loved about the first two Saints Row games and made it a game indistinguishable from the originals and yet not as fun or developed as its sequel. It just has this weird disconnect to the franchise from either end of its history and is just... bad.

If I had to pick one more memorable betrayal from my memory....

My mind goes to the Sonic franchise. It's hard to exactly ascertain when the series started to decline in my eyes. Originally I became fed up and abandoned the franchise after the first Sonic Riders, but I remember I hated the way Sonic Heroes was designed. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted to do another Sonic Adventure game or.... something. It just was a garbled mess of Sonic characters and revisiting the same 5 levels. I think that was when the series was really rapidly heading down the tubes, and if I had played it I would say that Sonic 06 was pretty much the ultimate betrayal of the series. But Sonic Heroes started the trend and I played that one, so that's what I consider the biggest betrayal in my eyes.

But hopefully if my rant didn't chase most of you away, you could share your frustrations and betrayals with everyone.

DarkDranix likes this

I took the fact that Valkyrian Chronicles 2 was pushed off onto the PSP pretty badly. I also haven't recovered from how I felt like FFXIII put me into a little box of linear crap. Is this sort of what you are looking for? ;-)

DarkDranix likes this

Sonic 06 was probably the most rage inducing betrayal i have had to go through as i was such a huge sonic fanboy at the time, but the one betrayal that sucked the life out of me for a while was when i played Fable 3 because it basically took what i liked about the first two fable games and took a crap on them while highlighting the things i hated about fable 1 and 2. It was what made me realize that companies cared more about making money than following up on their promises in a game and I then pretty much stopped gaming for a while till i eventually replayed an old game of mine called Dark Cloud which was what helped me out of slump and back into liking video games again.

Hitmab absolution, dead space 3, resident evil, dragon age 2, theres just to many

Resident Evil, mainly.  I was a kid when I played Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3, and enjoyed being scared out of my mind.  But when Resident Evil 4 came out, I was 20 years old and was like, "What the hell is this?"

I bought Resident Evil 6, foolishly.  I also have Resident Evil: Revelations for PC which isn't so bad.  But yeah, the glory of Resident Evil, just seems to not be there for me anymore

Final Fantasy, wait you know what. Square Enix. Loved FF7, FF8 and the KH series but when they released FFX and I had to play some annoying dude and use some weird grid system. I got kinda disappointed. Then here comes FFX-2 and I was like, okay the level system is old school but everything else was jenk. Then FF11 which was an MMO, then FF12 was like, what the fuck is this. Now FF13 was something I couldn't even get past the first 5 mins. After that Square just went downhill.

DarkDranix likes this

Steel Battalion using the Kinect being completely broken and the way the last two Splinter Cell games and the new Ghost Recon handled their multiplayer.

There is one game I really wanted to succeed, Chaotic Shadow Warriors. The cartoon is great, lots of action and decent story, naturally this was made into a game but what was put out was a terrible third person shooter/ Final Fantasy type game ( what I mean is the fighting involved monsters facing each other and you choose an attack). The story was stupid and predictable, seriously anybody who has watched the show knew who the villian would be, it was painfully obvious. The fighting in the show is not there at all which is the biggest problem, stupid and predictable story, no problem as long as the action is good. So in short, I felt like the game was a terrible idea and I am hoping that a game company comes along and says "wow, this show is awesome!" and makes a game that is actually a good representation of the show.    

Fable 3 definately. well 2 and three to be honest. They just didn't even see why people like they're franchise and took it the complete opposite way. Resident evil 6, every assassin's creed after brotherhood, Dead space 3, Halo ODST, call of duty mw3, dragon age 2, condemned 2, a list like this goes on forever. But of course, this is just my opinion. Someone may love all these games. Unfortuantely I didn't.

Colonial Marines was a betrayal, so much promise in its ideas, but TERRIBLE execution.   You could also say the same for 'Dook' forever, turning it into a CoD wannabe, CoD only works for 'realistic' war games, not ridiculous over the top action which we all love.

DontFearTheReaper1 likes this

Final Fantasy XIII, due to the fact I had just finished Final Fantasy VI before picking it up. It's weird how visually the game is superb, but it pales in comparison to VI when it comes to substance.

Duke Nukem Forever. Do I really need to say more? I waited a decade for it, I brought the Balls of Steel edition, and while all the goodies where very nice the game was just... makes me shudder.

Assassins Creed 3 I was so pissed off after I completed the game, I took it out my xbox drove to the game shop and traded it in

Desert Zorro likes this

Silent Hill. Just... what the hell man? Is that so difficult to make a scary game with a good story? I just lost hope after Downpour finished me.

Asura's Wrath of all games to leave me believing there's going to be a sequel only to find out I had to pay for the ending it was a big betrayel from Capcom and the introduction to their bullshit dlc practices.

Probably ME3's ending. Okay yeah I'm bringing up a pretty obvious one but let's face it, it was a major betrayal. Why? Well Bioware did say in a few interviews that they would not do an A, B, or C ending but what did we get, we got basically that, just color coordinated: Blue, Green, Red. The game itself was fine until that ending.

Then FF13, I honestly could not get into that game. I tried, I spent about 10 hours trying but gave up. Really it was so dull and Lightning is just a female version of Cloud from FF7, a terrible copy if that.

Assassin's Creed 3. First off it was a glitch mess one release, then the story was just awful, it didn't even feel like it was about the assassin's vs. the Templars, just Connor's wish on revenge with a few thrown in Revolution battles and historical stuff just to say it takes place in history.

Desert Zorro and Krusader like this

Sonic. Just, Sonic... And Xbox, but that's a console.

I think my biggest betrayal was maybe Final Fantasy XIII, because before, I've played III, (DS remake) IV, V, VI, and VIII (I haven't gotten around to playing VII yet.) And then I get a 360, and I get Final Fantasy XIII... I don't like it.

Also, Silent Hill Homecoming. I've played all of the games before it, plus Shattered Memories, ('first Silent Hill game, actually) and then Homecoming, which was just 2, but with broken Zelda gameplay, even though it wasn't broken in Zelda, ever! And um...

Well, I'm just glad that Downpour turned out to be as awesome as it is, despite the questions which are not very important...

Colonial Marines was a betrayal, so much promise in its ideas, but TERRIBLE execution.

Took the words right out of my mouth

anything after the original resident evil.....

anything after the original resident evil.....

Resident Evil 2 was good, though!  :)