• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

EmbersofChaos

Dark Souls **[Ineligible, No Guild/Clan Support]**

74 posts in this topic

darksoulsheader.png

~~~~~INTRODUCTION~~~~~

Dark Souls offers a very unique and special kind of gameplay mechanics, allowing the player full control of their character in 3D space as well as providing them with various means to customize their build as they see fit; from sorcery that helps you shoot magical arrows, magical spears, and buffs your weapon to the miracles that offer multiple means to heal your character and buff your weapon with amazing characteristics.

Dark Souls is often labeled as a difficult and impossible game, clearly this happens because the vast majority of gamers struggle to push through the game, hence they label it as difficult and move back to something they're more comfortable with, never seeing the shining gem that is Dark Souls.

Although there are entire mechanics, weapons, and items placed throughout the world for the sole purpose of making the game easier FromSoftware also included the summoning system; through this players can summon others into their world to help them push through a certain challenge they might be struggling through. That's why I present this subforum request, so we help those in dire need within out AJSA community.

******FILLING OUT THE APPLICATION******

I hereby request that the Angry Joe Army officialy supports Dark Souls - Prepare to Die Edition for the pc, the game can be found on multiple places to buy including steam but uses Games For Windows Live service (microsoft alternative for xbl on pc). I would like it be clear that this request is only for the pc version as only on the pc version players can (more or less) gurantee that they connect to one another and manage to pvp.

NOTE: This by no means rules out the console versions, I merely request the PC version as the group can get together and play the game in a much less time period than they would on the consoles, I volunteer to manage this community's events on both PC and PS3

370px-Dark_Souls_Co-op_-_1_-_Prepare_to_

Pros:

1. Dynamic pvp system with high demand on skill and quick response, players with enough experience can go on multiple fights without being defeated using the same character.

2. Cooperation mechanic; players can be summoned into each other's worlds (in certain areas) to help assist someone who is struggling to get through a level.

3. Endless possibilities for creating characters; the game holds a tremendous range of weapons, armors, rings, spells, and items to help spice up player vs player interactions and provide a nice field for creativity with characters.

Cons:

1. Connectivity; there's no gurantee that two players will manage to connect together and coop/pvp but on pc the odds are greater than consoles as there are multiple things you can do about it.

2. Unbalanced mechanics; certain weapons can chain backstabs (animations during which the victim is stunned) together to reach an early win.

3. Limitations; in terms of cooperation a player may only summon two other phantoms (players summoned into another world) to assist them, while the same rule applies in pvp, there's always a slot reserved for an invader as a fourth person in said world.

~~~~~~ DETAILS~~~~~~

Right now I will ask players join the steam group I created for this (click here) we will be using this group to see who's online, get the party in one chat room, set up our teamspeak chat and to communicate if someone doesn't have a mic (like me).

We will be scheduling our events based on what fits our members the best so as of now it's the weekend (just an assumption) as soon as the subforum is up and running (if subforum is granted on the weekend this schedule is pushed to the next weekend) on weekend our first schedule will look something like this:

ajsa1_zps78dbf9e2.jpg

- PvE help session will be replaced with PvP SL120 if no PvE help is requested.

-Times labeled PvP are flexible (PvP cosplay, PvP 0 poise, PvP dragon fist only)

-Events labeled as random are not restricted to Dark Souls only.

-We will attempt to have at least one live stream on twitch.tv for our events.

-Footage recorded during livestream are property of the recorder and may be used as they see fit (we're not trying to create gossip about your chain backstabs, we're trying to create content for AJSA video content)

======FINAL WORDS======

The game was not complete on launch and neither is it complete now, after the patches, it suffers from severe connectivity issues sometimes (seen worse on ps3 and xbox360 versions) however there is a mod for the pc version users called Dark Souls Connectivity fix that aims to improve friends connecting to one another. Here is a quote from the mod's page to help clearify it's purpose:

What DSCfix does do:
-- Intercepts GFWL matchmaking functions to return a friend's session if available. This is repeated until all online friends are connected to, at which point it resumes normal behavior of looking for random peers.
-- Allows near-instantaneous summoning / invasion of friends, as well as other network info exchanged such as bloodstains, visible blue ghosts / bonfire phantoms, bonfire kindling, etc.

I'm also available on ps3, but that's only if we get enough people pushing for ps3 (only have 2 characters there).

Thank you for your time reviewing this, I really hope you see the potential in supporting this game not only for the pvp fun but the jolly cooperation could help out some desperate Angry Joe Show Army members push through this amazing title :)

I will continue to edit this post in hopes of making it as professional and as appealing as possible.

, bowmanruto, Re Evolution and 3 others like this

dark souls is my favorite game of all time, but i think waiting till dark souls 2 with support from the angry army would be a wise call (it will fix most of the con's of ds 1) as tho not to scare ppl away from the series due to the shotty port to pc... that said i'm still voting up your topic becurs even tho dark souls is flawed its a flawed masterpiece

Re Evolution likes this

I am a huge Dark Souls fan, but I'm a little miffed that you would leave out the consoles. Sure, on the consoles there is less of a chance to get into the world of someone who you are playing with, but I've learned how to deal with it. And once you summon the player, they are linked to your lobby till one of you quits the game, meaning that you can summon them over and over again without difficulty. My only problem with the pc version is that there is a higher chance of finding a modder/hacker on the pc compared to the consoles since the files are on the computer.

The consoles aren't without their own problems, though. (For the Xbox at least) you can only talk to one player online at a time (Via Private Chat), so this makes it difficult for large groups to be playing at once. You can also find the occasional modder/hacker in the consoles, but only at lower levels (I know of a modded save that puts you in-game with infinite health/stamina at level 25) and the occasional save editor abuser spread throughout the levels. 

I'm all for supporting this game, but have it supported throughout ALL consoles, be it PC, Xbox or PS. Limiting it to one gaming system will limit the people who want to play the game.

As for DS2, I've already pre-ordered it and am waiting for the moment that the piggys will push me off a cliff. Repetedly. But from what I've seen of DS2, it also has it's limitations. If you're trying to teach some new player how to play, the summon sign has a time limit in the game. This could be difficult for new players to learn how to play the game well.

How many people can play at once on dark souls?

You can summon up to 2 players in your game, but these players need to have a soul level similar to yours (+/- 10 levels difference maximum). It also requires you (the summoner) to be in human form. Also, the big boss of the areas where you try to invoke players must still be alive.

If these conditions are fulfilled, you will see marks on the ground and you just have to activate them to summon other players in your game. 

Players that want to be invoked (go in other players’ games) just have to use the “White Sign Soapstone” to leave a mark and wait. This item is given by Solaire of Astora in Undead Burg after you beat the Taurus Demon and before you cross the gate with the red Dragon.

Dark souls has a 4 person limit including the host (summoner), 2 helpers (summons), and an invader (person trying to kill you). The difference has been changed from the -/+ 10 levels to include a 10% difference (Say you are Level 100. You can summon, or invade, players from 80 to 120 (100 x 10% = 10. 100-10-10= 80, 100+10+10=120)

If you are playing alone (no summons) you can be invaded by 3 sepparate players at the same time, or any combination of players (1 summon, 2 invaders. 2 summons, 1 invader)

Definitely in support of this. DS2 will be even better, but DS1 is as bowmanruto said, 'a flawed masterpiece'.

bowmanruto likes this

This would be a fun thing to have! Both for my self and all the other Dark Souls players!

I am a huge Dark Souls fan, but I'm a little miffed that you would leave out the consoles. Sure, on the consoles there is less of a chance to get into the world of someone who you are playing with, but I've learned how to deal with it.

Hey Evolution, I assure you I didn't leave out the consoles because of some silly "pc master race" pride, that's rubbish. I left out the pc from this as we can't really gurantee that our group will be able to successfully connect and that is a HUGE problem when you're doing organized online game sessions like what we're attempting to do here.

I love the consoles, I love the xbox, I played more than 3000 hours of Dark Souls on xbox360 but the ods of summoning on pc are so much better. Sorry if you are disappointed but if the person reviewing this chooses to include consoles then I will definately try to find someone to manage xbox sessions as I can do both pc and ps3 dark souls

Hey Evolution, I assure you I didn't leave out the consoles because of some silly "pc master race" pride, that's rubbish. I left out the pc from this as we can't really gurantee that our group will be able to successfully connect and that is a HUGE problem when you're doing organized online game sessions like what we're attempting to do here.

I love the consoles, I love the xbox, I played more than 3000 hours of Dark Souls on xbox360 but the ods of summoning on pc are so much better. Sorry if you are disappointed but if the person reviewing this chooses to include consoles then I will definately try to find someone to manage xbox sessions as I can do both pc and ps3 dark souls

I agree in the "pc master race". The PC's are far better in my opinion. Sadly, my computer isn't strong enough to run Dark Souls or any of the newer games so I've been sticking with my Xbox for games. Like I said in my previous post, the summoning is a bit hard for consoles, but I've figured out how to get around it most of the time. For this, you go to a place that has next to no summon signs when you first sign in (such as Painted world, Capra demon boss's area (can't remember the area. Lower Burg?) and any other place that has 1-3 summon signs regularly). When you successfully summon you're friend for some jolly cooperation, the phantom then black signs out, and you both move to a high-traffic PvP zone (such as the Forest, Burg, or Kiln) and then summon him/her there. Since you summoned him/her before, they will stay locked into your server, and make summoning vastly easier. 

I'd so take part in AJSA Dark Souls action on PC or the PS3. Just about my favourite game ever, and while I've been having a break for the last couple months, I definitely wouldn't mind picking it back up to play with some people from here. Would make for good warmup while waiting for DaS2 as well. :P

(can't remember the area. Lower Burg?) and any other place that has 1-3 summon signs regularly). When you successfully summon you're friend for some jolly cooperation, the phantom then black signs out, and you both move to a high-traffic PvP zone (such as the Forest, Burg, or Kiln) and then summon him/her there. Since you summoned him/her before, they will stay locked into your server, and make summoning vastly easier. 

Lower Undead Burg yes. Black Crystal of Seperation :P

That seems like a reasonable tactic man, I'll definately keep it in mind. Yes I can see your approach to PC's being superior to consoles, and I personally have a high-tier pc, hence forth including xbox; it's ineffeciency, cost, and silliness, as part of my responsibilities is out of the question. I will definately not object if the person reviewing this decides that the subforum be cross-platform.

I'll look for some people to help manage the console events.

Well, I have nothing better to do with my time. Recommend me for the Xbox. It would be fun to organize fight clubs, gravelording, ganking, etc.

EmbersofChaos likes this

I support this as well the Souls franchise would be a great addition, it is rather unfortunate to 'exclude' the consoles. Dark Souls 2 would be a great addition as well in time as the game launches. Not only just for teaming up and doing multiplayer together, but also to spread information about ; builds, item locations, characters, etc. ... Let's face it Souls doesn't exactly hold people by the hand and it's not the least cryptic game you can find ^^

Getting all versions of Dark Souls 2 just as I have on Dark Souls so platform isn't really an issue here. Support for the console players would be nice as well though.

This absolutely has my support !

I would love to see an AJA in dark souls as I am a big fan I would even buy the pc version but being in the DS2 beta I would say it would be better to wait for that. This is why first you can have up to 3 other players from anywhere any level at least at the moment that could change. Second the game play and graphics are far better at least the one area we were allowed to play in. And 3rd cause DS2 is friken amazing lol. Anyway yeh I would hope for either or both games. O and the soul sign in DS2 is broken as it was stated there isn't meant to be a time limit on them and they are working on that at least that was the last time I read about it they could have changed there minds by then.

Don't forget about the lore of the souls universe as well. More so than any other game, the lore of Dark Souls drew me in, and I had to learn everything about it. The fact that From doesnt give you any lore besides item descriptions and what you can connect together. I've learned most of what Dark Souls has to offer, and I'm eagerly waiting for DS2 to get into fights to see if Solaire is the bastard son of Gwyn, or if he's just some cool guy that likes to help people.

I would love to see an AJA in dark souls as I am a big fan I would even buy the pc version but being in the DS2 beta I would say it would be better to wait for that. This is why first you can have up to 3 other players from anywhere any level at least at the moment that could change. Second the game play and graphics are far better at least the one area we were allowed to play in. And 3rd cause DS2 is friken amazing lol. Anyway yeh I would hope for either or both games.

That limitation of phantoms and invaders capping at 4 player per world is still a fact in Dark Souls 2, or at least in the network beta test that I got to play (if cap was removed why not implement that into the beta and test it?) and wait playing what game? as much as I love dark souls 2 there really isn't any worthy games out there right now that include coop and pvp in the same way as Dark souls.

That limitation of phantoms and invaders capping at 4 player per world is still a fact in Dark Souls 2, or at least in the network beta test that I got to play (if cap was removed why not implement that into the beta and test it?) and wait playing what game? as much as I love dark souls 2 there really isn't any worthy games out there right now that include coop and pvp in the same way as Dark souls.

just remember that beta is beta and it was a ps3 beta so it micht be diffrent

Well yeah, but here's the thing.

The version we played was named Dark Souls 2 Network Test Ver.

And From Soft had made it more than clear that it was a beta so did they mean;

Dark Souls Beta, Network Test version: Game is in it's final phases, testing network behavior.

or

Dark Souls, [beta Network] test version: Game is complete, network and connectivity is incomplete.

In either ways a Beta is a more or less unpolished version of the game; polish does not include major game mechanic changing decsions, polishing a game is to adress bugs and irregularities, optimize performance and provide a release candidate.

Seeing that the limitation still stands in the Beta I'm willing to bet my souls (10mil of them) that the limitation will still be there in release version.

I just had a brilliant idea for what we could do for the AJSA in Dark Souls. Basically a fight club, but turn it into a tournament. Each version of the game (Xbox, PC, PS3) could host separate tournaments in different areas, such as blight towns dragon scale room (right behind the bonfire), painted worlds cathedral or circular tower, anor londos main hallway before the boss, etc. We could then have two announcers (host and 1 summon) spectate the fights between members of the AJSA in these arenas (2 reds or other invaders), and have them move up the roster as they defeat other members. At the end, we would be left with the three strongest AJSA PvP Dark Souls players on each of the consoles. Jus a thought, but I think it's a great one.

Ps: I'm half out of my mind right now with sleep deprivation, so if I need to explain this better, I will.

Anor Londo is so beautiful.

I support this, Dark Souls is a wonderfully brutal game, and one of my favorite games of all time. I think that my disposition towards the game is fairly obvious, just look at my avatar. :)

WeLiVeR likes this

Wasn't where I was going with that post, Sushi, but yes. Anor Londo is very beautiful.