• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Yeshu

Is the gaming market ready for serious games?

44 posts in this topic

I'm ready for publishers to allow developers to tackle issues that society deem controversial..I want a quality written story that would have gamers asking/questioning everything that's being experienced..There's no need for shock value non sense just offer solid gameplay that also pushes  the morals of what many of us were taught growing up/believe now..I feel its time for games to have the seem creative freedom as other forums of entertainment available.

i can remember Deponia being quite serious in it's Character develpment. I mean look at the way Rufus goes within the game.

This though boped into my head one day. Are there gamers that are mature enough to play games that tackle serious subjects and themes.

When looking at the majority of the people playing games, all they want is a couple hours of entertaining power fantasy.

They expect the game to make them feel like a badass. There is nothing wrong with that! There is always time for some brainless happy time, but what about the people who want something more from games.

Games like Spec Ops The Line is a good example. The game is a tale of a man falling into madness disguised as a generic military shooter. Many people stated that the game made a huge impact on them but they will never play it again. Why? Because it's not fun to play a squad commander with mental issues. Not to mention allot of American gamers where insulted that they where shooting American soldiers. Le Gasp!!! Americans as the enemy's!!! What madness is this?!

Silent Hill 2 was a tragic tale of a man seeking redemption and many gamers just took it as a ghost town story where you shoot monsters.

In present time, where the Bioshock Infinite ending, which IMO is a complete clusterfuck with a shamalama-ding-dong twist at the end, is considered "deep and thought provoking" is there room for games that we could call our Space Odyssey 2001, our Shining, our Citizen Kain, our Hearts of Darkness?

there hasnt been any "super serious games" since the 6th console gen and there will never be any more either, people realized theres nothing fun in serious games, the life provides plenty of serious stuff

if by serious you mean realism, theres plenty of those, like the ARMA series, Ninja Gaiden, The Witcher, Gran Turismo or Flight Sim X

Don't you wan't the gaming medium the evolve beyond brainless escapism?

I truly think it's unfortunate that that's all you see in gaming both nowadays and in the past.

edit - And I just noticed this is a shameless selfie necro thread, goddamnit.

I am ready for games to come out with characters/stories to push what's socially acceptable. I am wondering when the first TRUE homosexual character will be created, and by true I mean that there is no choice to be one or not like in ME or Bully.

I am ready for games to come out with characters/stories to push what's socially acceptable. I am wondering when the first TRUE homosexual character will be created, and by true I mean that there is no choice to be one or not like in ME or Bully.

Whenever that does happen, I hope they don't make too big a deal out of it. Homosexuality should be an unimportant feature of a character, not a defining trait.

EDIT: I also feel I should point out there have already been plenty of gay characters in games; it's just that 75% of them are either merely implied to be gay, or have homosexuality as a defining trait.

The industry is probably ready for serious games.

But are the gamers?

I prefer my less than serious shit.

In divinity: dragon commander, there are many choices you have to make that fall upon the line sexism, racism and some other stuff. These choices also aren't black and white, you are also a dragon with a jet pack, so I guess that's as far as the series nature goes.

On the subject of Spec Ops: The Line, you shoot Americans... so what? play battlefield on the Russian side and you shoot Americans all the time, you run Americans over all the time in GTA, everybody you shoot in any fallout game everyone is a Americans (except those dam commi bastards) and you can burn them alive, cut them up and eat there corps, all this and nobody bats a eye but when Spec Ops: The Line pops up and tells you its bad, everybody looses there shit!

just because there is a CoD every year and the story line mind boggling simple doesn't mean we cant have something ground backing, every summer A bunch of stupid (but awesome) action films come out that have story line equally as bad as most fps game but every once in a while there is something that makes my $4.50 worth it and the same will happen with gaming, maybe it has your just to busy staring at what you (claim) you don't want to see

What about Max Payne? That game freaked the shit out of me!

I truly think it's unfortunate that that's all you see in gaming both nowadays and in the past.

edit - And I just noticed this is a shameless selfie necro thread, goddamnit.

For the overwhelming majority of games, yes, they are escapism/fantasy. Not pegging that as a bad thing, but its how you would describe it, yes?

CoD or Battlefield don't really go and confront contemporary issues in the same manner Spec Ops does. GTA could also be seen as confronting issues in modern society, whereas Saint Row is a escapism for being a badass gangster.

I remember watching a Extra Credits Episode about video games as art, and it made a point of saying that just because we have more games that have underlying morals and themes doesn't mean we don't want the next Battlefield. Imagine if the only movies made were Blockbuster action movies. Sure, we all enjoy them, but 12 Angry Men was great because it tackled important issues both then and now, and that made it a classic. Expanding games from blockbusters and children's comedies will not make those go away, or make them irrelevant. It will make them that much sweeter, knowing that this isn't all there is to play if they get tired of blapping terrorists.

As long as World of Warcraft is still around, no. 
Yep, I went there

Even so, Mass Effect is basically "bad aliens vs super humans", the first Deus Ex was really good with political commentary, Human Revolution watered it down a little.

It can be reduced to that, and to be honest any Triple A game that attempts serious topics will need to one that can have said topics reduced to simple concepts. AC 3 attempted I think that to an extent. Ignoring any other flaws, it did dare to raise the question about some national myths, and question them, at the sametime it can be broken down to 'Good Assasins Versus Evil Templars' 

Why did you necro this thread, whyy... Its making me cry.

There are tons of "intelligent" as well as "brainless" games out there. Plus most "brainless" games actually require more thought to play well than many "intelligent" activities. Even a 1on1 deathmatch in a first person shooter REWARDS players for thinking while playing. You should think what powerups do you block the enemy from getting, what powerups does the enemy have access to, which of those are they most likely to ge. First, how can i cut them off afterwards while getting as many goodies as i can on the way, what weapons will thy get there, etc, etc.

Most people dont think about that while playing an fps, but you can. Intelligence isnt mimicking the behaiour of wealthy dudes smoking cigars on a mahogony desk, its being able to figure ou for yourself HOW to apply thinking to the task at hand.

Before you mock the intelligence and sophistication of some people's hobbies, I suggest you consider that sometimes intelligence is seen as foolishness.

Gone too likes this

I don't think this "mature" issue is not really about intelligent-vs-dumb or mature-vs-infantile.

I think mature games have been there all along. But the successful ones include the mature stuff into the game (eg: Ninja Gaiden's story deals with a corrupt CIA agent, Pokémon Blue/Red/Yellow has you facing a group that enslaves animals for financial and political gain, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas pits you against corrups police and CIA agents, as well as drug traficking and the fallout of all of that).
It's when one makes the serious the core of the experience (Stanley Parable, Depression Quest, DLC Quest) that the game stops feeling like a game.

That entirely depends on how much gameplay they are gonna sacrifice to make the game.....

*Cough*A machine for pigs*Cough*

I for one play games to have fun, i can see the interest in having more mature and adult games.

But it's the outcome im unsure about, how are they gonna do it.

Interesting thing to think about.

There's a ton of games like that around and most of them have had serious success and that's the figure to go by.. Are we ready? Yes. How do we know? There have already been games that're serious and have had large audiences. It's not the whole gaming demographic that's interested in serious games, but a large portion of it loves it.

Well games like manhunt and GTA 5 atleast some quests in GTA5  is pretty realistic.

Im not sure if could include the walking dead 1 and 2 becase both really play with your feelings and really hard choices, some are even harder than in ME.

But yeah i guess there could be some more serious games, but the problem is that if kids get a hold of those games alot of stuff can happen so it needs to be strict as hell to who buys it. If a parent wants to buy it, the clerk needs to say this game include 18+ materials and no one below that age should play it. needs to be much stricter in that field if we are going to have more serious games.

Don't you wan't the gaming medium the evolve beyond brainless escapism?

you have no idea what you are talking about. didn't like the title of the topic either. you appear to be saying that almost all forms of gaming are not serious. tell this to a counter strike or dota 2 player.

but whatever, i dont care :P everyone has opinions.

I thought spec ops the line was a fantastic story even if the gameplay was fairly generic, but here's the thing that people get pissed off about in my view, it's not mature themes etc. that bother people ( Why else would The Witcher and Game of Thrones be so popular? ) when you promise a multi-choice game you make it fucking multi-choice. You don't give people dialogue trees and then over the course of the game funnel people into one particular ending so you can churn out your next sequel and then promise them the same bullshit about your choices 'mattering' because if your forced to pick a particular ending then it's not a fucking choice is it?

For example, since you cited spec ops the line, I took what most would see as the honourable path where I did my best never to kill civilians and such but then that scene came along where you were forced to use phosphorous shells or whatever they were against the U.S soldiers even though you didn't want to and I was pwning them regardless.

So yeah mature themes are totally fine with me, in fact I encourage it, but don't force me into endings I don't want just because you want to churn out more sequels and DLC because your game got so popular, that shit makes me rage quit and it's what happened to Mass Effect 3 too, they totally abandoned multi-choice for the sake of their fucking DLCs.

If you're going to go for multiple endings, go all the way, don't screw over gamers you promised things to just to boost your sales counts.

Puntosmx likes this