• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aragorn195

Beyond: Two Souls thoughts

11 posts in this topic

So I have for quite some time wanted to voice my thoughts about Beyond: Two Souls, but the usual places Im at often can be very hostile and I dont want to deal with disrespectful people like those. So I've decided to say my thoughts here in hope that this is a much more friendly community. Now I want that everyone who decide to say their thoughts/opinions here will be respectful. I dont want any flame wars or anything like that. We may have different opinions, but we all should respect them still.

First of all I want to say what I think about the "Its not a game, its a movie" comment that so many are using. I think that its wrong. When you hit the play button on a movie and you walked out of the room or even the whole building you're in the movie would still continue on just as it would, the story would move on to the next part. If you were to press play and then walk away from the tv in Beyond: Two Souls it would grind to a complete stop, you are the essential part for it to proceed to the next partm you're needed. When someone say its so linear that it just aswell could be a movie, then I want you to look at Call of Duty: Ghost. The only option you have is who to shoot when and how, and often even that is taken out of your hands. It often say who to kill, how to kill, and when to kill. When you played through the Singleplayer once, you have no reason to do it again. It wont change, in Beyond: Two Souls the core elements of the story wont change, but there are variables that you can change, you CAN do some things differently which will give an slightly different result. I will also say on that same area that it does the same as Telltale's Walking Dead game. When it comes to the end, your choices wont have changed it, it will be the same for whoever plays it in what way. There is only one ending, in Beyond: Two Souls you have the option to choose what ending you want, but they wont be different from playthrough to playthrough. Some complain about the lack of a "Game Over" possibility, but I feel it would have broken the immersion (Unsure about the spelling).

The thing that I see as this game's gift, may also be seen as it curse. It so different from typical games today. When you say game I think Call of Duty and Battlefield and Witcher and Chivalry and Walking Dead. and because it does fit with typical games today it gets seen as a non-game. I found it to be very similar to The Walking Dead to be honest, only major noticeable differance between those games was that The Walking Dead had free aim sections, unlike Beyond: Two Souls who had predetermined guys to shoot in what order and in what fashion and that there is a "Game Over" possibility and in Beyond: Two Souls, as I said earlier, it doesnt.

Many complain that the story doesnt make sense and is confusing. Those who say this havent finished the game, or havent been paying enough attention to the game, possible because they decided to make fun of the game while playing, I dont know, seen parts of a playthrough where someone does that. In what game are you told EVERTHING there is to tell from the start? No game does it, by telling you something but keeping some parts out for later, they keep you playing to get all the pieces. The more you play, the more of the story you learn.

Some people hate the game becuase they didnt have a good time playing it. In some cases, the had no chance. Very often people make up their mind about games before they have played it, already decided if the game is good or bad, on a subconscious level. Who made the game, what game have they made in the past, what kinda reputation does the developers have, what do OTHER people say about the game? These are some factors that influence that subconscious decision. Publishers and developers try to influence this with trailers and teasers, try to give you a subconscious positive opinion about the game. This makes it hard for someone to say that they experianced a game in a neutral position.

There I think I've said what I had to say about the game. Im sorry for any misspelling. Im Norwegian, we're special  :P I hope that if you have anything you like to say that you say it in a respectful and mature manner. And please, if you have anything to say, say it.

Edit:

I saw this video by Extra Creditz and I thought it would be best to add the video rather trying to explain everything word by word myself. 

Edited by Aragorn195

In my opinion, the game had a lot of potential, the graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay felt more dynamic than in Heavy Rain, BUT (again, in my opinion) the story was waaaaaaaaaaay too... What´s the word? Well, I felt it was ridiculous at times. I see it as another Indigo Prophecy, where the story looks really interesting at first but it goes weird (and sometimes silly) places at a lot of points.

But, it is not a bad game, I think the main problem was David Cage being the only writter (I think, if I´m wrong, please correct me) and well... Not having anyone to tell him "Hey, don´t you think that´s a little crazy for Jodie to pull off?" or "I think not everyone in the world is mean", things like that.

I don´t like the game, but I don´t dislike it either, I am looking forward to see more of Quantic Dream´s future games, specially on the next gen.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I did dislike the fact that Jodie can´t die, mainly because when playing Heavy Rain I felt real danger for my character, while in Beyond, I could just derp around not having to worry much about her safety.

In a nutshell, Quantic Dream has a LOT, LOT, LOT of talent and potential. Cage needs to rein in his ego and let someone else Direct and write.

The tech is amazing. David's story and direction? SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH.

The small story they did to demo the tech? With the android becoming sentient? Was LEAPS AND BOUNDS above this drivel.
(The actors are not at fault at all. They didn't write this crap.)

Overall I did really enjoy Beyond: Two Souls and I had been waiting quite awhile and it was worth the wait for what it was. I do agree though that it took a LOT out of it with how you couldn't kill Jodie. If the game would have gone in chronological order this may have been an improvement in my eyes too; the storyline was slightly confusing due to it jumping all over the place.

Overall I did really enjoy Beyond: Two Souls and I had been waiting quite awhile and it was worth the wait for what it was. I do agree though that it took a LOT out of it with how you couldn't kill Jodie. If the game would have gone in chronological order this may have been an improvement in my eyes too; the storyline was slightly confusing due to it jumping all over the place.

Well depending on the ending you chose the jumping back and forward gets explained. And they do tell you in a good way when in time you are. Also, I found it to keep my interest, they raised a question like "How did she end up in this situation?" which made me curious. Take the Hunted and Homeless chapter, you thought why are she hunted, how did it come to this? If you had played The Mission chapter before you wouldnt have thought that. You would have been given the answer before you got to the question. It was ment to make you curious and continue forward to find the answer.  Also, yes the whole not being able to kill Jodie takes away much of the sense of danger, but it also helps you get more immersed in the game. When you mess up and the whole screen goes red and a hugh text saying "GAME OVER" appears it ruins the immersion. To most things in the world, there is a downside and a upside to everything.

Bad game. Btw why so many shower scenes, David Cage?

Many... MANY? Its 2 shower scenes, 1 is optional. The game is average 9 hours long, the shower scenes arent even 5 minuttes long. Sorry about the outburst, but you're not the first to say that there are many shower scenes.

I've actually wanted to get that game for quite a while would you guys recommend it?

I've actually wanted to get that game for quite a while would you guys recommend it?

Some would some wouldnt. I would recommend it, but it all depends on you really.

I personally loved the game and the story I was able to craft with it.  I've talked to other people who have played it, and was suprised on how completely different certain parts were based on the choices we had made.  Of course, the graphics were amazing too.

I personally loved the game and the story I was able to craft with it.  I've talked to other people who have played it, and was suprised on how completely different certain parts were based on the choices we had made.  Of course, the graphics were amazing too.

The game does remind me of The Walking Dead by Telltale. You have options that change the details in the story, but in the end it ends in the same way as it does for everyone. You also are confined to a certain area, where you can perform pre-determind actions in an attempt to progress the story, which is another similarity to The Walking Dead.