• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shagger

Doom Creator John Carmack Officially Leaves id Software

19 posts in this topic

It's kind of the end of an era really, but I'm sure we've seen the last of him and this departure seem amicable and was a long time coming. I think the angry army would wish him and id sofware the best.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/doom-creator-john-carmack-officially-leaves-id-software

Interesting to see where iD goes from here. Every member of the four founders of iD (John Carmack, Adrian Carmack, John Romero, and Tom Hall) are no longer a part of the company. It really is the ending of an era.

that's the way of Life. John Carmack and Romero had their golden times when Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Duke 3D, Blood and Quake hit the Stage. Sure they will be missed but there is always another one like them out there today.

Even Shigeru Miyamoto was thinking about retiring. The Big N era is going to end too.

Hey, we should all remember, ID did make RAGE. The "golden age" of FPS has been over for quite a while. I wish them all the best, but I don't think we'll see anything stellar from them for quite a while.

Well they said his departure won't change much for id's projects,they got a team of programmers who worked with John for years.

But good luck in his future endeavors,he was and still is an icon in gaming,with his amazing work on game engines,that kicked the PC into high gear.

Can you even remember the last FPS with such a great atmopshere as Doom or Quake had? What it was ? The only thing that comes to my mind is F.E.A.R... As you said guys, it seems like the era of doom had set a course to the sunset.

Interesting to see where iD goes from here. Every member of the four founders of iD (John Carmack, Adrian Carmack, John Romero, and Tom Hall) are no longer a part of the company. It really is the ending of an era.

i think thats talking too quickly

Carmack may have something cooking in his head, who knows

very unprobably and unlikely, still, lets not rush the conclusions too quickly

everyone thought Chris Roberts would never make a game after he "left the video game industry" and here he is now, making the biggest, most ambitious crowdfunded (player-funded) game ever in history and pushing the PCs to the limits again with Star Citizen

I never said he was done in the industry. I was wondering where the company would go with their next

I never said he was done in the industry. I was wondering where the company would go with their next

oh i was talking to everyone, just quoted you so everyone could see what i was talking about ^_^

oh i was talking to everyone, just quoted you so everyone could see what i was talking about ^_^

SMH

Can you even remember the last FPS with such a great atmopshere as Doom or Quake had? What it was ? The only thing that comes to my mind is F.E.A.R... As you said guys, it seems like the era of doom had set a course to the sunset.

Aliens vs Predator 3 (2010)

Aliens vs Predator 2

Aliens vs Predator 1

Alien Resurrection

Aliens vs Predator Atari Jaguar

Alien Trilogy

Duke Nukém 3D

HeXen Beyond Heretic

Heretic

No, of course not it's not the same exact feeling but all of these games do provide a samey feeling.

Ok, but let's review the last three years with FPS. What we got. Far Cry? Dead Island? Not to mention the regularities like CoD, or BF. Halo 4 which was available only on 360 (was that a good game anyway?) Ok, we had Borderlands, the new Bioshock: Infinite and really good Dishonored and Metro series. Ok, maybe I just proved myself wrong and the FPS market is not that bad anyway. Or maybe I'm just missing some amazing feeling that I had while playing the first level of Quake.

Man, talk about nostalgia.  Doom 1 was the very first game that I experienced multiplayer gameplay on.  It was via a point-to-point 9600 baud dial up modem to my neighbor who lived two streets over; the lag was at least a second but man it was fun nonetheless.   If you've ever looked at the Doom 1 source code you could really see the genius that was Carmack.  I remember a portion of code where it was doing simple integer math with a very random looking "magic number."  As it turned out, this algorithm was approximating floating point math to a precision that was identical to the human eye but ran orders of magnitude faster. 

I believe I read that John has focused his abilities on the Oculus Rift.  Technology like the rift will completely alter how we think about gaming and that is EXACTLY where we need a mind like Carmack's to be.

It is a real shame this guy left ID the last game they made was rage and they have not released any games since the future for this dev team looks a little gloom

Id Software is probably dying and John didn't want to go with it. I wish him luck in his future endeavors. 

Id is no longer the awesome company it once used to be in the early and mid 90s, now it is just another whore for Zenimax. I find this a better move for Carmack so he can focus on the Oculus Rift more.

Once Donna Jackson and Tim Willits leave, Id is no longer Id. I predict a slow destruction of the company in general over the next 12 to 18 months due to mismanagement by Willits.