• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

GoodOldSmurf

Kids to play Mature/Adult games? - Angry Poll!!

Kids vs Mature/Adult games   214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should there be restrictions to prevent kids from playing Mature/Adult games? (GTA, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gears of War, ETC.)

2. 2. Do you mind with kids playing Mature/Adult games?

• Yes.
    • Nope.
    • No as long as they are mature enough for the game.
  3. 3. What do you hate the most about kids playing a game they are not supposed to (and playing the same game as you technically)

• They yell in the mic when they get owned.
    • They are not mature enough for the game's theme.
    • They always exaggerate.
    • They are just too young to play the game.
    • They do not understand the real life consequences of such actions as killing, blowing stuff up or insulting.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

142 posts in this topic

Of course there should be restrictions. The ESRB rating is no joke. Kids beg their parents to buy them a AAA game title when it has sever mature ratings. Like GTA. A kid in gamestop was trying to trick his grandmother into buying him that game. I told her what was in the game and she definitely changed her mind. I don't mid playing with kids as long as they keep it mature. 

joining the military requires you to sign a contract. Same with marriage. All contracts are void if under 18 to help prevent exploitation. Driving restrictions only apply to public roads where you can cause harm to others. Your examples are completely different to playing video games.

Its nice to see someone else who understands why its 18 on stuff like that! LEGAL contracts require you to be at least the age of majority a video game is not a legal contract. Though as always I support that its the parents decision (I just wish more of them knew what they were doing), I encourage all parents with children who game to sign up to a sight like this and hear about the actual games and their content from people who know if they themselves don't game.

Apart from giving a kid exposure to violence and that sort of stuff from an early age? I voted it because you wouldn't let a six year old be exposed to that level of violence because there is always a risk they are going to be effected negitively by it. Especially if the parents are the kind of people who let an Xbox bring up their child. Maybe they will start thinking that violence can solve their problems.

Well yes I didn't fully understand the extent of violence when I was 6 but I had been informed as much as I could understand at the time, which was don't hurt people its bad, and that was enough. Also it would seem that when people talk about kids playing mature games the age group they most commonly seem to be referring to is 10 and the early adolescent years, and they better know better by then (as far as I'm concerned).

Of course there should be restrictions. The ESRB rating is no joke. Kids beg their parents to buy them a AAA game title when it has sever mature ratings. Like GTA. A kid in gamestop was trying to trick his grandmother into buying him that game. I told her what was in the game and she definitely changed her mind. I don't mid playing with kids as long as they keep it mature. 

There are indeed a level of restrictions the ratings are present, and its against most store's policy to sell the people under a certain age. So if what you mean are full on legal restrictions I disagree, its not the governments affair as far as I'm concerned.

A friend of mine said to me just the other day, her son asked her if he could have GTAV for Christmas. Hes 8. 

Should children be sheltered from all of the emotions just because they are children? I think not! Emotions were an important part of my life growing up. This should be the case for other children, as well, I think.

A friend of mine said to me just the other day, her son asked her if he could have GTAV for Christmas. Hes 8. 

Precisely. The kid at gamestop was around that same age. I really don't get how people can let kids that young play games like that. 

I don't have a problem with kids playing video games, violent or not. And I encourage parents to let them do the same. Video games are an excellent medium to show a kid how society works, and helps them cultivate an imagination. It's also a good teaching tool for parents to teach their kids morality and that games (and other forms of media) are just that: games. If a parent makes sure the kid isn't swearing or taking anything bad out of it then it's really good for the kid. And if the kid is swearing, or picking up other nasty habits from games then it take one conversation to fix that. And in the process teach them that because someone else does something that doesn't mean it's okay.

I hate blanket rantings systems and filters employed by the government. They're so easily circumnavigated it's kinda ridiculous. All kids that I know that want violent games do is ask someone that's older than them to pick it up for them. And filters are even easier to get around. And it should be upto the parents to impose restrictions on the kid, not the government. Just because a few parents do a shitty job parenting their kids doesn't mean everyone else should have to just through hoops to get their hands on vidya. 

Aa a side note: parents should either A) make sure a kid can't use the mic online or B)  make sure he's being respectful and is mature enough for being able to communicate with other online. 

Edited by Nommunist

I hated being restricted as a kid to certain games. I do believe that if a kid is mature enough for the game than they could play. However I still must vote no.

Why you might ask? Because every time there is some tragedy in this country involving children one of the first thing that is examined are if the child played video games and what games they played. Than the entire game industry is demonized as a whole over something they have no part in. I think it's garbage, but the rating system should be enforced for this reason alone.

There is a restriction

2012-03-22-esrbratings.jpg

Just people don't follow it =/

I personally think that it depends on the kid and the game. Something like GTA, I'd say that the youngest someone should be able to play it is thirteen or fourteen. Before that, they might accidentally end up seeing stuff that they shouldn't, like the prostitute bits. I know it isn't very explicit, but they might ask someone older about it, and that could cause quite a bit of trouble, best just to not have that potential. The violence I don't think is an issue for the average kid who isn't already nearly a psycho. But, a game like COD or Battlefield is fine for them, so long as they are smart enough to  not use voice chat and not trust anyone they play with online with any information about themselves personally if they aren't people they know in real life/ are their age or are family, or people that their parents trust.

Ive spend quite some years playing online games. and in games such as COD and Simular war related games there are so many younger kids that yell complain and bitch on the microphone that it at some point does get quite annoying. 

In terms of my opinion.

If a kid knows how to keep gaming and actual world experiances apart and accept the fact they they will occasionally get shot/killed in a game like COD they should play it. unfortunatly this is in most scenario's not the case, yes they also represent a rather big player base of the COD Community but they should learn that you cannot always win a game and you will get shot. 

Few truly understand that and its a shame. 

Thats generally my opinion on this topic

I've been playing mature games since I was 3 or 4 years old ( cant really remember to be honest ). At first I could not play them for long and most of the mature games scared me ( Doom 1 , Duke Nukem etc... ) . After a while you think : "I've seen so much violence in video games i'm used to it and it will not bother me if I see it in real life" ( Note : I was still a kid when I thought this ). But here is the fun part , its far from the truth. In video games you are used to helping people who are in trouble etc... So when I saw my first murder ( on the internet .... dont ask ) instead of just feeling bad that the person has been killed you feel infuriated . You want to help the man but you cannot. Now this may just be me, I cannot speak for everyone, however I can say that it all depends on the kid and the type of game. I would let my kid play Call of Duty as long as he was civil and I would also take away his mic. He might be pissed off at me at the time, but in a couple of years he would be grateful.

I can also say this : Video games have a way of helping you decide what you want to be in life (apart from a game developer). For instance I loved the game Freelancer so much that I almost became an astrophysicist. If I lived in a different country, I would have probably become an Astrophysicist or a Homicide detective. Might still happen if I move to the USA , who knows :P

NinjaTurtle likes this

I don't think the government or gaming industry has any say in this, this is a family decision. I'm pretty sure like most of you here, you played gta3 at a young age of 8-12 when it came out. I know I did and I knew than what was real and not real in game and in real life.

There is a restriction

2012-03-22-esrbratings.jpg

Just people don't follow it =/

I like how one year determines if you are mature or an adult, based around voting age.

I played violent games when i was younger, I haven't been damaged in anyway, though i was VERY afraid that a zombie would eat me, partially because of resident evil xD

I think that if a kid is mature enough to play these kind of games then sure allow them to play.