• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThaGreatIsaiah

What should a game have to be worth the $60 we pay for it?

28 posts in this topic

I'm working on a video on this topic and I'm curious as to what people think a game should have in order to be worth all the money we pay for them.

For example how many hours minimum should a mainly multiplier game's story mode be or how long should a game that is mainly for story mode's story be.  Or now that we are in a new generation should every game run 60 fps or be in 1080p tell me your opinions below I won't link my channel since I don't want people to hate but please leave a comment of what you think a game should have.

Judge Lazar likes this

I don't buy games that are mainly multiplayer so I can't comment on those but, for single player games, I expect at least 25+ hours of content and some replay value.

I get my moneys worth and then some with Elder Scrolls games. Over 1000 hours on Morrowind, 620 on Oblivion and 329 on Skyrim.

Dungeon Siege 3 took me 8 hours including all side quests. Not worth the money I paid for it.

All AAA games are £60 dollars is a normal price, but if 30hours of entertainment not worth £60 so how much can be  ? But if game is shitty and very short hell no ! But there also are other games with extremely good quality like an uncharted, last of us or metro last light, but quite short, but they also deserve £60 without a doubt because of their production quality. In my opinion production or really good quality game always worth that price specially when it had re-playability or an big open world, even with RPG elements.

A normal perhaps action adventure game like Uncharted or The Last of Us, I usually expect between 10 to 20 hours of story (normally how long it takes me to get through such story mode games), and plenty of replay value for the story modes that they might add up to a few playthroughs equaling about around 30 to 60 hours. An action adventure game with RPG elements like Far Cry 3 I expect 20 to 30 hours since I'm probably not going to really do much with the story again after beating it. Then several hours of other things I could do.

As for a purely RPG game, I expect countless hours really. Normally with a first playthrough on an RPG it takes me about 60 to 80 hours to beat it and then I usually do several more playthroughs that are either speed runs or where I take even more time and study details and such so really I want RPGs to have tons of hours, best example for me would be Dark Souls. I have so many hours in the game and that's across several differen't characters. Several for PvP, a few speedrun ones, and then others just to look at lore and collect items.

Biggest and important thing though is for the game to be complete, I hate when a game has on disk DLC or day one DLC anymore since that basically shows the game as either being incomplete or complete but you have to pay to see the rest of it.

I don't think hours has anything to do with it really. The original Metal Gear Solid is the perfect example of a game only being 6 hours long and being worth every penny (which was around 40 bucks at the time? correct me if I'm wrong).

To me what justifies a game's asking price is its lasting appeal. Will it be something that I can pick up 10 or 20 years later and still enjoy despite the outdated graphics and mechanics? Then I know I got my money's worth.

1. It should be playable from day one. Smaller glitches are OK, but stuff that break the game shouldn't be in a final product.

2. No big Day-One-DLCs. Small items for peoples who preordered the game is OK, but by a fullprice title, I want a full game. If the game sells well and you than make a decision to add some content, you couldn't do because of budget and time restraints is cool with me. But if you made it anyway, it's really just moneygrabing.

3. Length: I don't like, if games are made artificialy longer. I don't appreciate, puting in additional waves of the same enemy, just that it last longer. I guess the magic number is about 20 hours, depending on the kind of game. For the arkham titles, 20 hours is a decent length. In Skirim, I would be pissed, if I got through the game in 20 hours. In Starcraft on the other hand, I managed to speedrun the campaign in kless than 8 hours. But since it has a high focus on multiplayer, I'm even OK with that.

For $60 USD? I damn well want everything possible. But that's me being greedy for a good experience.

In realistic terms considering the way games work now a days I think we'll be expectant of a few things - or at least we should. I'm going to strip a bit from what you said there, game playability, graphics/frames per second.

- 60 Frames and 720 to 1080 is required, hands down. It better be a damn good to give me anything less than max at that price. 

- If it's a single-player game I'd expect at least 40-50 hours bare minimum. If it has good Multiplayer than the singleplayer campaign can be skimped upon, but only if my time is worthwhile to putting hours upon hours into a multiplayer experience. From this I expect multiple unlocks, progression, leaderboards, the works. That's considering a competitive game. If it's co-op I should be expecting the same as a usual single-player with at least 40-50 hours that me and my friends can BS on, with a considerable amount of fun included.

- Multiplayer games, if anything these days, should be innovative or do something better than the competitors. If it can't and I'm left playing the same game that I bought under a different brand-title, I don't want it. I want my money back even, that's absurd to have this sheer amount of repetitiveness. 

- Singleplayer games should have a story untold by any other thus far - I like originality, it's a great thing and is direly needed in the games market today when everything is starting to boil over under the same old concepts of war, love lost, and spooky shit. Give me something heartwrenching that makes me cry man-tears damn you, not because a dog died or because your sister was put up for adoption on eBay. Give me something fucked up, twisted, and mentally scarring that makes my time spent with the game memorable.

- If I'm paying $60 hard-earned cash, I want a complete game. DLC that I have to buy should not be a requirement to enjoy a game.

- No Pay-to-Win! That shit's horrible, it should not exist. If there's something in the game to be accessed I want it to be accessible to the player.

- Depending on the system that a game comes out for, I want it to be moddable. Give me something open-source that I can work with to improve my experience with a game without having to spend more money to get it.

And there's my list of requirements for new games that are soon to be coming out. The Elder Scrolls series has given me everything save multiplayer so far and not a single one has skimped on anything. I nailed out 300 hours of Skyrim pure vanilla before another 100 with the expansions that I thought put good addition into the game, the mods were just another 100 hour boost. Oblivion is another story entirely, I must have at least 700 hours in that game, mods, expansions and vanilla combined. 

Another mention is Minecraft, which I still play frequently. I've spent at least 1000 hours in the game building alone, that's how much I like the freedom of creativity that I got out of it - for only $15 mind you. If $15 can do that for me, with free expansions and updates to the game with a full community of modders, builders, and players behind it, well. I damn well expect thrice as much out of a $60 game and nothing less. 

It's an investment of my time and money that I'm putting into a game when I purchase. Retailers such as Amazon, Steam, Gamestop, Bestbuy, Walmart - they should realize the real price behind a game. It's dispicable having to pay that much for games. Steam does the best out of them all, with support for the Indie community at large that put time and effort into a -good- game instead of an overpriced polished P.O.S. 

And there's my thoughts on that. 

/endrant

CDProjectRed no matter what they sell I will buy it on day one.

And 4. Screw those fucking launch day locks! If I have a freaking physical copy of the game on a DVD, I want to play the game. I can live with that I might not have full online functionality, but if the data to play the game are on my hard drive, let my play it!!!!

What a game have to be in order to be worth it's 60$ price tag?

Free patches and updates.

And here is the most important part!

Be completed, and sold as a complete game like how we used to buy games in the old days.

I have an idea about that.I think that there should be some kind of Game Jugers who say how much should a game cost or at least what could be the max price.

Game likes this

It's all relative.

For example - if you go to the cinema the ticket is around £10.  That means you're paying approx. 11p per minute for your entertainment.

If you go to see a top club in the English Premier League (football/soccer) the ticket is around £50.  That's about 55p a minute.

A music CD is around £10  - and that can give a lifetime of entertainment.

In other words - you're not buying entertainment based on the length of enjoyment, you're buying the EXPERIENCE.  If the experience is terrific and you loved it, then it's worth it.  If the experience was rubbish, then you'll feel ripped off.

A $60 game infers top quality writing (story), coding (performance), artwork (graphics) - and that the experience is a premium one.  As such, they cost more to make, but deliver a bigger thrill.  Or at least, that's the idea.

Having said that - I still boot up PacMan every now and then.  I still boot up the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders.  Simple games, but still giving some entertainment.

When you get a new game there's always this desire to rush through it, to see the end.  Which is a shame really - because just as much effort goes into just giving you the whole experience.  Take your time - have fun with it.

Content.

It must have at least one of the following for me:

• 60 hours of single player mode (Pokemon/Fallout/Oblivion/Zelda)
  • Replayable (Diablo/Dishonored/Fire Emblem) 
  • Amazing story/art (The Last of Us/Mass Effect/Bioshock)
  • 100 hours of Multiplayer (Super Smash Bros/Perfect Dark/Bad Company 2)

Even then, I like to get them on sale when I can, but I did just go out and buy a 3ds just for Pokemon Y (~$200).

If one of these games doesn't run at a reasonable framerate for me, I upgrade my system to play it.

Simple. The game should be worth 60$ when the game is satisfying in every way the audience likes. The DLC shit needs to be destroyed. We as consumers have been taught to love Day one DLC. It's obvious that they just ripped out stuff and ask for more money. The point is that the game should feel complete without DLC. And make us want to spend money to enjoy more of the game. Rather than spending money just to complete the experience.

Simple. The game should be worth 60$ when the game is satisfying in every way the audience likes. The DLC shit needs to be destroyed. We as consumers have been taught to love Day one DLC. It's obvious that they just ripped out stuff and ask for more money. The point is that the game should feel complete without DLC. And make us want to spend money to enjoy more of the game. Rather than spending money just to complete the experience.

Every time you show up in a thread I'm reading, you make me want to go back and finish Legend of Dragoon.

I can't really say.

I think it's stupid that a game like Call of Duty can be priced the same as a game like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I'm working on a video on this topic and I'm curious as to what people think a game should have in order to be worth all the money we pay for them.

For example how many hours minimum should a mainly multiplier game's story mode be or how long should a game that is mainly for story mode's story be.  Or now that we are in a new generation should every game run 60 fps or be in 1080p tell me your opinions below I won't link my channel since I don't want people to hate but please leave a comment of what you think a game should have.

The campaign mode should not be able to be completed in one sitting on ANY game. IE: It should be longer that 12 hours.  It should have Co-Op campaign, or some form of Co-Op vs AI enemies mode.  Honestly I think developers should start selling the multiplayer and campaign parts of games seperately so people who have no interest in multiplayer can still play the campaign without paying 60 dollars for half a game they will never play.  If Call of Duty (just for example) Sold Story  mode for 30 dollars and multiplayer for 30 dollars, I am willing to bet they would sell a lot more copies of both, because it would be easier for younger players to afford. It can be hard to pool 60 dollars or convince your parents to put up 60 dollars for a game.

Every time you show up in a thread I'm reading, you make me want to go back and finish Legend of Dragoon.

LOL. You should man... Or you can watch me play it...:P

To me it is all about the fun factor of a game. It could be anything from story, replayability, the gameplay itself, the cast of characters (bonus points if I have a crush on one of them... looking at you Nel from SO3), or littler things like detail in the seemingly most mundane things. If I can play the game when it comes out and still go back and play it 10 years later, it is worth the money. Silent Hill 2 is an example. I.. just can't get enough of that game. Why am I so hooked?

Depends on the genre. In all cases it must have a lengthy but entertaining single player campaign. Otherwise I'll just wait for Steam sales to pick up the game.

If it has the following in singleplayer, I would say its worth it.

- Has a good soundtrack and story

- Does what the game said it would do successfully.

- Has something that stands out from other games on the market.

- Has replability (multiple endings, Collectibles, Good difficuty etc.)

- Speaking of difficulty, Have challenging and easy gameplay so hardcore and newcomers can enjoy it.

- Takes AT LEAST 10 hours to complete the story.

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate all the comments and replies here's the video I made I hope you guys like it