• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Alanas4201

Do you hate idea of the ramping difficulity levels ?

Progressively difficulity   34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate it ?

• I hate when games get way too easy progressing throw story.
    • I hate when games get way too hard progressing story or have difficulity spikes .
    • I hate both .
    • No i alright with that.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 posts in this topic

Bandits in Daedric armor.. yeeeaaah suuuuuure

They ransacked morrowind. That's why theres not a full set there :P

The NES jaded me on difficulty (looking at you MegaMan series along with the entire NES library). I may get frustrated if the AI uses some insanely cheap tactic, but I just have a beer or 4 then go back and mop the floor with them. I thought Elder Scrolls games, at least the recent ones scaled in difficulty in regards to monster level? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure one of the games I loved had level scaled enemies.

I hate when i just one-hit KO everything, and I am fine with CONSISTENTLY hard games. But when I hit an incredible difficulty spike that I can't get passed on low difficulties it is just ridiculous. IF the difficulty level is impossible all the way through I'm fine because that means it is supposed to be that hard, but when something one-hit KO's me on easy difficulty, it's a little unfair.

I like a game with a challenge, but when the challenge is put into a limited window, like you have to do it this way or it won't work. Those are the games I dread beating. Fallout series gives you plenty of ways to beat a mission or kill a group of NRC troopers or talon company mercs.

I think it a game by game case, cuse i don't expect some games too be hard like LEGO games ( couldn't tinnk about something else) i just exspect a few laughs and some fun. while games like dark souls i excpect them to be a chellange and be harder. so it depenson the game also post game content i like that to be very hard so you need true skill to complete it and not some memorizing and doing things on the right moment then i think you may have one thing that just unforgiving the rest of the game i want it to be a challenge but not one i need to play thing 20 times over. 

I like hard difficulty that promotes the player for new strategy.  Typically as game progresses, the player gets better at controller the character, better weapon/armor/defense/etc...  so the game has to be more difficult.  I like difficulty where I have to use new items to progress.. I hate games that just throws you wave after wave of enemies or single weapon that is OP.  Also, I hate grinding...

I guess in this aspect, Monster Hunter does this sorta right.

Basically, when you complete the game you unlock a harder version of the same monsters. The difference is that the game will no longer with you free potions and the such and you'll spawn onto a random spot on the map. The monsters themselves will get a lot harder by having new attacks and being faster at executing them.

There's also mega huge new monsters like our friend Deviljho here:

Other than that, I like games that are balanced in the difficulty. Nothing snaps me out of immersion more than dying, then hearing the same dialogue I just heard five minutes ago. I should be able to get through the game without dying unless I screw up. Not a little screw up that can cost me everything, but a major one.

I really don't care for some games. You play some games for difficulty. Some for story. When they get intertwined I don't really care much. :P

I will most likely go for "normal" and sometimes even "easy". I just have too many games to fight my way through games on hard and I don't got the patience for that anymore and I play games for the story and not for the challenge. What I hate the most are RPGs where the monsters level with you without any reason. If I decide to grind and get stronger I want to be stronger and not the monsters to be my level again which makes the whole process nearly useless

My problem with scaling is that it encourages "bad play" and discourages exploration. Last Remnant is the perfect example. In that game, you gain level experience depending on how well you play. The less death you have and faster you clear the enemies the more level experience you gain and the enemies scale with your level. However, stats are not tied to level. You randomly gain stats after battle. So the more battle you fight, the higher your stats. If you play well, you level up fast but your stats are trash and you get stuck. You have to play like shit intentionally to prolong your levels to get the maximum number of fights in order keep stats up to par. It's that or you can skip every side objective to minimize your experience.

I voted that I'm alright with it, mainly because I don't really care for super hard games. I play games in my free time for my own enjoyment. And while others might see it as not very "fun" as it's not as "challenging", I prefer playing a game that I can actually beat without having to rage over some ridiculous difficulty issues. If it scales, then let it, I'll just play it at my own pace.

For a serious playthrough. I put it on hard

For shits and giggles. I put it on easy

For everything else. I put it on normal

My problem with scaling is that it encourages "bad play" and discourages exploration. Last Remnant is the perfect example. In that game, you gain level experience depending on how well you play. The less death you have and faster you clear the enemies the more level experience you gain and the enemies scale with your level. However, stats are not tied to level. You randomly gain stats after battle. So the more battle you fight, the higher your stats. If you play well, you level up fast but your stats are trash and you get stuck. You have to play like shit intentionally to prolong your levels to get the maximum number of fights in order keep stats up to par. It's that or you can skip every side objective to minimize your experience.

I had to stop playing that game for the exact reasons you mentioned. I just couldnt get past it

this just bad desing choses i think the concept sounds cool but i think it don't mesh wel with monsters the scale that is just not fair for the player who are more skill full the game can trohw harder things on you that sounds fair but i think that the stat should be level based in such sort game.

Scaling enemies is just bad design in general. If all enemies scale infinitely then you are not making any progress, so why bother leveling at all. If bosses are set level to force you to level then you end up overleveling and minions become way stronger than bosses. If enemies have limited scaling then people just go over that limit and it's no different than non-scaling. If the develops pace the game properly than the players should be around the right level when they reach story points. There's no need for scaling. Players who choose to go around doing bonus objectives or skipping ahead for extra side quests should be rewarded for their efforts. It also makes more sense storywise since they are more experienced adventurers than they are intended to be at that point of the story.

I play games on hard even though already know its cheap and only means enemies take more damage/less resources for the player